Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Motorways in an NX

On 4/6/2021 at 11:11 PM, paulrnx said:

Today I did a journey that shows the NX300h in its worst habitat I think. I did a 200 mile round trip predominantly on the M40. Mostly at an indicated 75-80. 33.4mpg on the way down and 32.9 on the way back up. With the engine droning away on steep inclines or when needing to accelerate into the outside lane. It was quite windy and there was a fair bit of traffic but it’s really quite surprising how poor the economy can be on a journey like this at those speeds. I used to regularly do the same journey in a 5 litre Jaguar XF when I’d see 32 mpg. It was much more refined and much more fun too with only a slight flex of the right foot required to merge into the outside lane instead of a foot the floor drone. Just as well I don’t do too many of these journeys nowadays.

I commute to work weekly (Lincoln-Faslane,Scotland), a 310 mile journey (one way), averaging 34mpg (A1/A66/M6/M74). I drive a 2016 NX and having read a previous thread on this topic, it was suggested to try sports mode once you are cruising on the motorway. I have tried this numerous times and have surprisingly found it beneficial.

On 4/7/2021 at 2:29 PM, paulrnx said:

As a motorway car I think the NX sucks. Absolutely fine around town and on normal A roads at speeds up to 50-60. Long motorway inclines, blasts of acceleration to smoothly integrate into the outside lane without causing a following car to brake, and dual carriageways really do show an NX300H in its worst possible light. Like I said, luckily I don’t have too many of these journeys nowadays. If I did it would have to go.

Don’t agree with you there paul, 2019 we traveled 2000 miles across Europe mainly on motorway and across the Pyrenees average speed on motorway 70mph and averaged 40 ish mpg the only time it dropped to mid to high 30mpg is when we were doing around 80 mph. Car was also well loaded up..

On 4/7/2021 at 5:10 PM, Dylanlewis2000 said:

I know the trip indicator is a little enthusiastic but I have been delighted with the performance and economy of my 2.5V6. 

It is surprisingly economical for the power it has, the only limitation comes when you decide that you need maybe touch more power.

1 hour ago, Mines-a-pint said:

Don’t agree with you there paul, 2019 we traveled 2000 miles across Europe mainly on motorway and across the Pyrenees average speed on motorway 70mph and averaged 40 ish mpg the only time it dropped to mid to high 30mpg is when we were doing around 80 mph. Car was also well loaded up..

70 indicated will be around 65 real, so yes it about makes sense. In most of Europe and as well in UK most cars does 80, which indicates ~86 so if you want to stay with the flow that is what you kind of need to do, otherwise you either block traffic or have to drive in between truck (which isn't nice) + at that speed 300h becomes kind of loud and harsh. Feels like you really murdering it. 

Besides 30mpg isn't really impressive for hybrid when any 2.5l petrol will easily do 40MPG+ and 3l diesel may do 55-60MPG+ at constant 80 and still going to do high 40s at 90. 

I personally don't like diesels, but it is just a fact that for motorway speeds they are still the best. In short it all comes down to what you mainly use your car for - city driving and country side A roads (up-to 60MPH) hybrid is great, for motorway driving (70+) diesel is king... and petrol fits in the niche if you not doing many miles at all. I would as well prefer any sort of V8... if you not doing many miles then what is the difference what MPG it does, so you may as well get yourself a smile every time you press the pedal.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Linas.P said:

personally don't like diesels, but it is just a fact that for motorway speeds they are still the best. In short it all comes down to what you mainly use your car for - city driving and country side A roads (up-to 60MPH) hybrid is great, for motorway driving (70+) diesel is king... and petrol fits in the niche if you not doing many miles at all. I would as well prefer any sort of V8... if you not doing many miles then what is the difference what MPG it does, so you may as well get yourself a smile every time you press the pedal.

^^ I tend to agree with this, but the environmental legislation that’s coming down the track may change it. If I was a betting man, I’d guess that speed limits will drop rather than rise over the next decade as has already been trialled on stretches of motorway in both the UK and in the EU. The rationale is that emissions drop with lower speed. If that is the case, then we’ll also likely see more rigorous enforcement by camera. All that is before we get to autonomous vehicles where speeds will probably be able to be enforced by technology anyway...

I’m happy cruising on the motorway at an indicated 70mph. I don’t block those who choose to drive faster. Personally I think it would be far more civilised if motorway limits were reduced to 60mph or even 50mph at peak times, and increased off-peak - so 50-60mph between 06.00 and 09.00 but perhaps 80mph between midnight and 06.00. The thing is we should all drive to the conditions - whether that be volume of traffic or weather - rather than to the speed limit which is the maximum permitted speed rather than a ‘target’ speed.

• Like 5

3 hours ago, First_Lexus said:

^^ I tend to agree with this, but the environmental legislation that’s coming down the track may change it. If I was a betting man, I’d guess that speed limits will drop rather than rise over the next decade as has already been trialled on stretches of motorway in both the UK and in the EU. The rationale is that emissions drop with lower speed. If that is the case, then we’ll also likely see more rigorous enforcement by camera. All that is before we get to autonomous vehicles where speeds will probably be able to be enforced by technology for the vehicle anyway...

I’m happy cruising on the motorway at an indicated 70mph. I don’t block those who choose to drive faster. Personally I think it would be far more civilised if motorway limits were reduced to 60mph or even 50mph at peak times, and increased off-peak - so 50-60mph between 06.00 and 09.00 but perhaps 80mph between midnight and 06.00. The thing is we should all drive to the conditions - whether that be volume of traffic or weather - rather than to the speed limit which ought to be the maximum permitted speed rather than a ‘target’ speed.

It sounds like future will be very sad, but I think you are right - it is likely that instead of increase of the limit we will get reduction. Especially because PHEVs, Hybrids and BEVs struggle with higher speeds, as it severely reduces range. That is why it is often possible to see Tesla doing 60MPH in the first lane on motorway - if it would do 90, then it won't reach the destination.

I personally support system like it was in Germany, where unless otherwise stated speed is unlimited and each driver decides based on road conditions what speed to follow. Modern cars are certainly safe to drive past 120MPH if conditions permits.

But most likely the future going to be very gloomy for personal transportation - autonomous cars will be use for short distances (say up-to 100 miles at 50MPH) and if you want to get anywhere further and at decent speed, then the only option is going to be public transport (like trains). Things like GT cars which just travels continents at high speed will disappear.  

• Like 1

Well, seems the future has already landed in The Netherlands then. Last year the speedlimit on highways was reduced to 100 kph for environmental reasons. This is controlled by radarcontrolled zones of some 5 km. You enter, an infrared scan of your licenceplate is taken speed is measured. This is then done several times and when leaving the zone. When driving over the limit it is 100% secure you will receive a fine in the post the next day. 10 euros per km over but more when over 10km. All is fully automated and brings in millions per year. Driving nowadays has become  utterly boring and i am not sure if safety will increase. Most people set the car at 104km and just sit it out, drive like zombies not active anymore not watching mirrors etc. Anyway it is what it is .

System will now be rolled out on most B roads as well. Whats next? Government actively limiting the speed of your car?  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, dutchie01 said:

System will now be rolled out on most B roads as well. Whats next? Government actively limiting the speed of your car?  

That is already reality on Volvo cars which are voluntary limited to 180kmh - without question Volvo as brand stopped existing for me as soon as they announced it. ASL is becoming mandatory for new car in Europe from 2022 or something like that... ASL includes automatic backbox with speed history and although this is not currently automatically reporting speeding to government, but it certainly does not require much imagination to see this happening in near future e.g. if you speed for 30s+ car will send data to government and you automatically will get charged. 

And you right about average speed zones - people drive like zombies there. I am 100% sure I am much much safer driver when excessively speeding yet 100% concentrating vs. somebody who is stuck in 50MPH average speed, bored to death and are looking to the field of sunflowers and dreaming about something. This actually happened to me twice where I nearly rear ended somebody on long roadworks with average speed, or somebody rear ended me - as it happens you driving for miles on average speed and suddenly there is tailback... and nobody is looking ahead.

This is really sad... as it cannot be more misguided - cars are one of the least relevant for climate change - global 2.4% Co2 combined, petrol cars 0.3%... I am sorry how does that matter - if tomorrow we stop using all petrol cars we will save 0.3% Co2. Yet if everyone would stop following fast (trash) fashion, or if everyone will start buying good quality technology instead of getting £200 laptop and throwing it to the bin every 2 years. Manufacturing is something like 36% of global pollution, so if we could save 30% on trashy poor quality items we can save 30 times more pollution than not driving the cars. Consider this - bitcoin mining alone (single out of 1000s crypto currencies) generates as much Co2 as City of London or as much as whole Norway... and that completely useless thing for society. Yet we are worrying about car pollution and actually penalising ourselves - yet I would argue personal transportation has much more positive effects in society than crypto currencies. 

8 hours ago, Linas.P said:

This is really sad... as it cannot be more misguided - cars are one of the least relevant for climate change - global 2.4% Co2 combined, petrol cars 0.3%... I am sorry how does that matter - if tomorrow we stop using all petrol cars we will save 0.3% Co2. Yet if everyone would stop following fast (trash) fashion, or if everyone will start buying good quality technology instead of getting £200 laptop and throwing it to the bin every 2 years. Manufacturing is something like 36% of global pollution, so if we could save 30% on trashy poor quality items we can save 30 times more pollution than not driving the cars. Consider this - bitcoin mining alone (single out of 1000s crypto currencies) generates as much Co2 as City of London or as much as whole Norway... and that completely useless thing for society. Yet we are worrying about car pollution and actually penalising ourselves - yet I would argue personal transportation has much more positive effects in society than crypto currencies. 

^^ The idea is to change behaviour and opinions. Personal transportation has a relatively small impact overall, but on the individual affected it reinforces the need for change and (supposedly) ‘invests’ us all in the need for change in other areas that are outside of our direct control.

I understand the theory, but can’t help feeling it’s a bit of a lost cause when I look at polling of changes people would find acceptable. 

https://news.sky.com/story/one-in-four-britons-is-unwilling-to-change-key-habits-that-would-help-tackle-climate-crisis-poll-12267928

1 hour ago, First_Lexus said:

^^ The idea is to change behaviour and opinions. Personal transportation has a relatively small impact overall, but on the individual affected it reinforces the need for change and (supposedly) ‘invests’ us all in the need for change in other areas that are outside of our direct control.

I understand the theory, but can’t help feeling it’s a bit of a lost cause when I look at polling of changes people would find acceptable. 

https://news.sky.com/story/one-in-four-britons-is-unwilling-to-change-key-habits-that-would-help-tackle-climate-crisis-poll-12267928

Changing ideas and opinions is a euphemism for propaganda for adults and brainwashing for children what is going on all over is grim. Limiting speeds for example in the Netherlands is just a way of "nudging" you towards self-driving cars. At which point the government will control how and when you can be mobile. Same with the acceleration towards a cashless society, someone else will be in control of what little money you have left after usuary levels of taxation. In terms of climate change there are lone voices out there like the GWPF who are valiantly presenting some real world data against a blizzard of misinformation and omissions. For example when did Sky or the BBC report on African nations planning 1250 new coal and gas fired power stations let alone China's 5 a month? But you are being forced to reduce your heating by sky rocketing energy uplifts and stop using straws. Consider, 

"Almost everywhere you look, climate change is having only small, and often benign, impacts. The impact of extreme weather events ― hurricanes, tornadoes, floods and droughts ― are, if anything, declining. Economic damages have declined as a fraction of global GDP. Death rates from such events have declined by 99% since the 1920s. Climate-related disease has collapsed. And more people die from cold than warm temperatures" Quote from GWPF article, now you might argue against this, and that's a start, at least you are getting an opposing view. 

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, Phil xxkr said:

Changing ideas and opinions is a euphemism for propaganda for adults and brainwashing for children what is going on all over is grim. Limiting speeds for example in the Netherlands is just a way of "nudging" you towards self-driving cars. At which point the government will control how and when you can be mobile. Same with the acceleration towards a cashless society, someone else will be in control of what little money you have left after usuary levels of taxation. In terms of climate change there are lone voices out there like the GWPF who are valiantly presenting some real world data against a blizzard of misinformation and omissions. For example when did Sky or the BBC report on African nations planning 1250 new coal and gas fired power stations let alone China's 5 a month? But you are being forced to reduce your heating by sky rocketing energy uplifts and stop using straws. Consider, 

"Almost everywhere you look, climate change is having only small, and often benign, impacts. The impact of extreme weather events ― hurricanes, tornadoes, floods and droughts ― are, if anything, declining. Economic damages have declined as a fraction of global GDP. Death rates from such events have declined by 99% since the 1920s. Climate-related disease has collapsed. And more people die from cold than warm temperatures" Quote from GWPF article, now you might argue against this, and that's a start, at least you are getting an opposing view. 

The problem with any debate now is that all sides present their opinions as facts. Increasingly there is only one version - on a variety of subjects - that seems to be acceptable. Education reinforces this approach, and that has changed. When I was studying thirty years ago, the importance of debate and taking different sides (when researched properly) was actively encouraged. Now it seems to be actively discouraged.

On the balance of the evidence I do believe climate change is a problem, but I don’t really know to what extent. As you say, different opinions are either excluded from the media debate, or they are ridiculed, but that is the case with so many different - and important - subjects that deserve far more scrutiny.

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, First_Lexus said:

The problem with any debate now is that all sides present their opinions as facts. Increasingly there is only one version - on a variety of subjects - that seems to be acceptable. Education reinforces this approach, and that has changed. When I was studying thirty years ago, the importance of debate and taking different sides (when researched properly) was actively encouraged. Now it seems to be actively discouraged.

On the balance of the evidence I do believe climate change is a problem, but I don’t really know to what extent. As you say, different opinions are either excluded from the media debate, or they are ridiculed, but that is the case with so many different - and important - subjects that deserve far more scrutiny.

Totally agree

20 hours ago, Linas.P said:

It is surprisingly economical for the power it has, the only limitation comes when you decide that you need maybe touch more power.

70 indicated will be around 65 real, so yes it about makes sense. In most of Europe and as well in UK most cars does 80, which indicates ~86 so if you want to stay with the flow that is what you kind of need to do, otherwise you either block traffic or have to drive in between truck (which isn't nice) + at that speed 300h becomes kind of loud and harsh. Feels like you really murdering it. 

Besides 30mpg isn't really impressive for hybrid when any 2.5l petrol will easily do 40MPG+ and 3l diesel may do 55-60MPG+ at constant 80 and still going to do high 40s at 90. 

I personally don't like diesels, but it is just a fact that for motorway speeds they are still the best. In short it all comes down to what you mainly use your car for - city driving and country side A roads (up-to 60MPH) hybrid is great, for motorway driving (70+) diesel is king... and petrol fits in the niche if you not doing many miles at all. I would as well prefer any sort of V8... if you not doing many miles then what is the difference what MPG it does, so you may as well get yourself a smile every time you press the pedal.

Having driven in Europe for many years (worked there for sometime) I’ve never experienced going 70mph holding up the flow of traffic (faster cars you let them pass no problem) .and some cars go slower and some faster than 70 with no problems and with HGV speed restrictions they’re not a problem...

3 hours ago, First_Lexus said:

I have seen this report and it cannot be more misguided - they just towing typical government line and looking for scape goats not solutions. Again they quoting incorrect numbers and not looking to whole picture. I actually watched it on TV and reporter came to biker and asked "if his bike is diesel"😁 That is level of understanding these people have about climate change, the issues and the solutions.

I have always believed that to find the solution one must first understand the issue. The problem we have on this planet nobody understand the issue, because nobody wants to understand the issue. Why nobody wants to understand the issue? Because that is not profitable. 

Let me explain - to actually reduce the carbon footprint we need to reduce consumption, reducing consumption means reducing production and reducing production means reducing GDP and reducing profits. Our system is created and focused on inflating GDP by ~x% per year, which means more production and more pollution, not less. So unless we fundamentally change this issue is not going away.

Car are perfect example - they pollute little, but we will replace them anyway (because we are ignorant and could not care to check) with BEVs which will save ~25-30% from ~2.4% CO2 emissions produced by personal transportation, so in total and in best case scenario we will save 0.6% emissions overall. But all those BEVs will need to be made and a lot of perfectly usable ICEs will be discarded and it will be done using manufacturing sector which itself contributes ~36% of pollution. The additional BEV production my not increase pollution that much, say 5%, but that is 5% from 36%, so we will increase global CO2 pollution by 1.8% (or 3 times more than we save from BEV). And that is before we even consider that BEV production has various other issues like heavy metal pollution from Battery production.

So then why attack the motorists despite motoring being such minor fraction of pollution?! Maybe because it is easy - ignorant people don't understand better and showing picture of the car on cold morning pouring what is likely steam will convince most that cars are major contributor. Besides I suspect capitalists don't like the freedom private transportation provides... Imagine that people are free to wake-up any time they like, decide anywhere they would like to go... and go without asking anyone's permission... how bad is that for a profit! Much better to squeeze everyone like trash in the stinky carriage, charge extraorbital amount and only operate on tight schedule when it is profitable - that surely is more sound business idea... or as we call it "public transport".

Further the car is sort of object which is ubiquitous, everyone have seen it everyone have smelled exhaust gasses so it is relatable even if it is minor contributor. It would be much harder to get people support to get manufacturing reduced. Because despite it being major problem - ones new ****ty laptop does not smell like "carbon pollution", nor pair of cheap shoes, nor 10th printer one gets because new printer costs less than cartridge replacement, nor cheap washing machine which is replaced every 3 years together with all other goods in household just because they become "morally obsolete".

• Like 1

16 hours ago, dutchie01 said:

Anyway it is what it is .

My boss is Dutch and that's his favourite phrase! If he didn't drive a Mercedes, I'd ask if you're him :-)

• Haha 2

On 4/10/2021 at 10:45 PM, mandon75 said:

I commute to work weekly (Lincoln-Faslane,Scotland), a 310 mile journey (one way), averaging 34mpg (A1/A66/M6/M74). I drive a 2016 NX and having read a previous thread on this topic, it was suggested to try sports mode once you are cruising on the motorway. I have tried this numerous times and have surprisingly found it beneficial.

I totally agree. I always use Sport mode on M-Ways. I also find it much safer as the car reacts quicker when you need to change lane.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, dutchie01 said:

Well, seems the future has already landed in The Netherlands then. Last year the speedlimit on highways was reduced to 100 kph for environmental reasons. This is controlled by radarcontrolled zones of some 5 km. You enter, an infrared scan of your licenceplate is taken speed is measured. This is then done several times and when leaving the zone. When driving over the limit it is 100% secure you will receive a fine in the post the next day. 10 euros per km over but more when over 10km. All is fully automated and brings in millions per year. Driving nowadays has become  utterly boring and i am not sure if safety will increase. Most people set the car at 104km and just sit it out, drive like zombies not active anymore not watching mirrors etc. Anyway it is what it is .

Won't be long following in the UK - so-called "smart" motorways have speed cameras over their entire length and a number of motorway stretches are now limited to 50mph (camera controlled) in the name of "reducing pollution" but doubt it will revert back as more cars go electric! It is not hard to imagine that the entire UK motorway network will be speed camera controlled before long (there is not that much left now that isn't planned to be "smart") and then average speed can be lowered at a whim knowing that the driving public will conform as fines are all automated - I saw it all coming a few years back when I decided to change cars to my current IS 300h - I have given up the notion of just driving for its own enjoyment anymore - just want to make sure the driving I still do is as pleasant as possible within the tightening regime.

• Like 1

On 4/11/2021 at 11:04 AM, Mines-a-pint said:

Pointless comparing different cars on different roads at completely different times in different weather conditions and with different drivers though. Whatever you saw in your car at that time bears no resemblance to what I saw in my car when I did. I can also get closer to 40 at slower speeds on the motorway. At 75-80 it does drop by a fair bit compared to 70. Horses for courses but not a great motorway car in my opinion, at least from a performance and economy perspective. Still quiet (at least when not accelerating) and supremely comfortable though.

• Like 1

On 4/11/2021 at 6:59 PM, dutchie01 said:

This is pretty sad isn’t it. The A9 in Scotland is like this. Average speed cameras for a large part of it above Inverness. It certainly does make it very boring and I agree, people would switch off from the act of driving. You also stick to the the limit and have a HGV about 2m from your rear bumper trying to push you down the road. All very sad and we are certainly going to reach a point where all main roads are controlled by average speed cameras and eventually controlled by in car electronics.

On 4/12/2021 at 1:50 PM, wharfhouse said:

Won't be long following in the UK - so-called "smart" motorways have speed cameras over their entire length and a number of motorway stretches are now limited to 50mph (camera controlled) in the name of "reducing pollution" but doubt it will revert back as more cars go electric! It is not hard to imagine that the entire UK motorway network will be speed camera controlled before long (there is not that much left now that isn't planned to be "smart") and then average speed can be lowered at a whim knowing that the driving public will conform as fines are all automated - I saw it all coming a few years back when I decided to change cars to my current IS 300h - I have given up the notion of just driving for its own enjoyment anymore - just want to make sure the driving I still do is as pleasant as possible within the tightening regime.

Quite sad to think that in the years ahead driving enjoyment will be gone. Where I live many country A roads are limited to 50. It’s really crazy because you can turn off the main A roads into country lanes with limited visibility and narrow width and the speed limit increases to 60. Should be the other way round as far as I’m concerned. The trouble with driving around at an indicated 50-55 is that you have a HGV right on your rear bumper which never feels safe to me at all.

• Like 2

54 minutes ago, paulrnx said:

Quite sad to think that in the years ahead driving enjoyment will be gone. Where I live many country A roads are limited to 50. It’s really crazy because you can turn off the main A roads into country lanes with limited visibility and narrow width and the speed limit increases to 60. Should be the other way round as far as I’m concerned. The trouble with driving around at an indicated 50-55 is that you have a HGV right on your rear bumper which never feels safe to me at all.

I’d expect HGVs to be limited below 50mph in the next 5-10 years. It’s already being mooted for any HGV still running diesel when petrol and diesel vehicles are no longer able to be sold new.

I’d also expect to see more use of (and an associated expansion of) electric railways for freight and even canals, with smaller electric trucks making final deliveries - by the 2050s, in the U.K. and EU at least. That will be a big shift but, as has been noted, the bigger polluters like India, Brazil, China, and the US need to be the ones who make the real changes. 

• Like 3

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links