Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Motorways in an NX

Just completed a 310 mile round trip, with maybe 5 miles either end non motorway.

M40, M42, M5, M6, M58 and back ave MPG was 36.9

In place's 80mph and alot at 70mph due ave speed cameras, not forgetting the road works 60mph (18miles of on the M6)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, as13 said:

Just completed a 310 mile round trip, with maybe 5 miles either end non motorway.

M40, M42, M5, M6, M58 and back ave MPG was 36.9

In place's 80mph and alot at 70mph due ave speed cameras, not forgetting the road works 60mph (18miles of on the M6)

Ignoring the mpg, how did you find the actual drive @as13? What was comfort like for instance?

• Like 1

On 4/25/2021 at 8:56 AM, First_Lexus said:

Ignoring the mpg, how did you find the actual drive @as13? What was comfort like for instance?

It was like sitting in an armchair, the seat just wrapped around me giving me all the support I needed. Just sublime?

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/26/2021 at 8:14 PM, as13 said:

It was like sitting in an armchair, the seat just wrapped around me giving me all the support I needed. Just sublime?

In the past week, I’ve done four 100 mile round trips on the M4. The NX is supremely comfortable and quiet at the national speed limit. It’s just such a relaxing place to be.

I simply don’t understand the desire to drive at more than the legal speed limit. I’d far rather drive calmly and with less stress for the sake of a few extra minutes. For that type of journey, the NX suits me perfectly.

• Like 3

For some of us there comes a point where comfort becomes the most important factor.  Most of the time you are limited to what you can do on the UK's overcrowded roads by the acceleration and speed of all the vehicles in front of you or cameras etc.  I did consider changing to an NX when I had one on loan for a day.  By comparison, it was not quite as comfortable as my RX and felt a lot less roomy from my drivers seat.  It also was a bit lacking in urge that you sometimes like when overtaking.  However, it did make my RX feel a bit barge like and I prefer the look of the NX.  So I decided I will stay with the RX but am looking forward to trying the new 'Harrier' when it becomes available. 

• Like 1

I have just gone from North Yorkshire to nottingham A1 M1 and then  back 2 hrs later  A1 all the way back.On the way down  left it in sport mode and in cruise control with radar on ( although 3/4 of the time did not work because of the rain) avg 70 to 75 and it was doing AVG 42.2, on way back did rush a bit more and it dropped to around 38/39 , as for comfort it was a delight, compared to my last car which was a Q3 all in all about 360 miles there and back

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Whites said:

I have just gone from North Yorkshire to nottingham A1 M1 and then  back 2 hrs later  A1 all the way back.On the way down  left it in sport mode and in cruise control with radar on ( although 3/4 of the time did not work because of the rain) avg 70 to 75 and it was doing AVG 42.2, on way back did rush a bit more and it dropped to around 38/39 , as for comfort it was a delight, compared to my last car which was a Q3 all in all about 360 miles there and back

Nice report Wayne.

Why did you come to Lexus from Q3 ?

The Q3 interior especially in the back and getting in and out was bad, the fit and finish of the Lexus was far better it is also quieter and more economical overhaul a better car , i was disappointed with the Q3 after wanting one for years

• Like 2

Economy vs Speed

I drove a 2.0 litre petrol Mitsubishi Space Wagon from Yorkshire to Kent at around 50 mph (I was not is a rush!). I got 38 mpg but it was the most boring drive and quite frankly it did nothing for my concentration.

Do you remember the slogan from 1974(?) 

"Be thrifty! Keep to 50!"

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, Spacewagon52 said:

Economy vs Speed

I drove a 2.0 litre petrol Mitsubishi Space Wagon from Yorkshire to Kent at around 50 mph (I was not is a rush!). I got 38 mpg but it was the most boring drive and quite frankly it did nothing for my concentration.

Do you remember the slogan from 1974(?) 

"Be thrifty! Keep to 50!"

No !

Got an extended journey this coming weekend involving some motorways and dual carriageways. Hoping I won’t feel as disappointed as the last time I did a sizeable similar journey. I’m sure it’ll be comfortable and refined but I’m equally sure it won’t be that much fun. To the point where I’m even thinking about taking our other car instead which would provide much more fun and better economy too.

12 hours ago, royoftherovers said:

No !

1973 Fuel Crisis after the Arab / Israeli 1973 - 3-day-week

5 December 1973 – The speed limit on motorways was reduced to 50 mph from 70 mph until further notice.[

1 hour ago, Spacewagon52 said:

5 December 1973 – The speed limit on motorways was reduced to 50 mph from 70 mph until further notice.[

We had a schedule of electricity supply so I knew which evening I would go home to my flat in Battersea knowing we would have no power. My girlfriend was a nurse at Westminster Hospital so I qualified for essential fuel for my Spitfire (no, the car)

“Tomorrow was a better day”

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Alan305 said:

We had a schedule of electricity supply so I knew which evening I would go home to my flat in Battersea knowing we would have no power. My girlfriend was a nurse at Westminster Hospital so I qualified for essential fuel for my Spitfire (no, the car)

Interesting historical programme - mainly about the USA

• Like 2

1973 Fuel Crisis after the Arab / Israeli 1973 - 3-day-week

Thanks Davey. I am sure you are right, but I have no recollection of it.

I did used to enjoy pints of "brown mixed" in those days, so might have been a contributory factor to my memory loss!🤣

• Haha 3

Interesting historical programme - mainly about the USA

Even though it's 50 years ago that OPEC quadrupled oil prices - from $2.50 a barrel to $10 if I remember rightly - it's still having an impact even now. As a result of the surge in oil prices, the SNP, then not a very prominent party in Scotland, began in the early 1970s to campaign on the basis that the UK's North Sea oil belonged to Scotland.

This began to persuade a lot of people that Scotland would be economically better off outside the UK with all the benefits for itself of the growing oil industry and rising oil prices. It's ironic that it's taken so long to nearly persuade the people of Scotland that they'd be better off outside the UK just when the Age of Oil is coming to an end.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

10 hours ago, Alan305 said:

You should have left the bit in brackets off that sentence. It would have sounded so much more impressive 🤣

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 5/10/2021 at 9:10 AM, paulrnx said:

Got an extended journey this coming weekend involving some motorways and dual carriageways. Hoping I won’t feel as disappointed as the last time I did a sizeable similar journey. I’m sure it’ll be comfortable and refined but I’m equally sure it won’t be that much fun. To the point where I’m even thinking about taking our other car instead which would provide much more fun and better economy too.

Looked for a different route to the M6 / M55 slog. Now going to head over to Llangollen and then north over the Horseshoe Pass. A much nicer route but of course a bit longer in terms of time.

1 hour ago, paulrnx said:

Looked for a different route to the M6 / M55 slog. Now going to head over to Llangollen and then north over the Horseshoe Pass. A much nicer route but of course a bit longer in terms of time.

And then Paul-from Horshoe to Blackpool ?

1 hour ago, paulrnx said:

Over to North Wales John

Ah you mentioning M55 fooled me Paul.

We used to have a static caravan in Harlech for 10 years and I used to travel from Wirral at weekends via Ruthin , pick up the A5 for a short while, so following the A5 past LLangollen should be a relatively less stressful journey. A5 can be busy though with clowns who have to pass everything in front of them.

Take care, enjoy your trip and I imagine, a  welcome break.

• Like 1

On 5/10/2021 at 12:46 PM, Thackeray said:

Even though it's 50 years ago that OPEC quadrupled oil prices - from $2.50 a barrel to $10 if I remember rightly - it's still having an impact even now. As a result of the surge in oil prices, the SNP, then not a very prominent party in Scotland, began in the early 1970s to campaign on the basis that the UK's North Sea oil belonged to Scotland.

This began to persuade a lot of people that Scotland would be economically better off outside the UK with all the benefits for itself of the growing oil industry and rising oil prices. It's ironic that it's taken so long to nearly persuade the people of Scotland that they'd be better off outside the UK just when the Age of Oil is coming to an end.

^^ An Aunt of mine had a V12 E-Type Coupe when the fuel crisis hit in 1974. It was three or four years old from memory, and as cars did back then it had a little bit of visible rust. She couldn’t sell it and so - believe it or not - it went for scrap! 😔 I still can’t quite believe it even now, but I doubt it was the only similar car to suffer that fate…

• Sad 1

8 hours ago, First_Lexus said:

^^ An Aunt of mine had a V12 E-Type Coupe when the fuel crisis hit in 1974. It was three or four years old from memory, and as cars did back then it had a little bit of visible rust. She couldn’t sell it and so - believe it or not - it went for scrap! 😔 I still can’t quite believe it even now, but I doubt it was the only similar car to suffer that fate…

Wow! If only she had gifted it to her nephew who had the foresight to have it restored and stored away until now. What a shame!!

• Haha 1

On 5/11/2021 at 4:21 PM, royoftherovers said:

Ah you mentioning M55 fooled me Paul.

We used to have a static caravan in Harlech for 10 years and I used to travel from Wirral at weekends via Ruthin , pick up the A5 for a short while, so following the A5 past LLangollen should be a relatively less stressful journey. A5 can be busy though with clowns who have to pass everything in front of them.

Take care, enjoy your trip and I imagine, a  welcome break.

My mistake John. I meant to say A55. 

• Like 1