Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

My very first Lexus GS450h mk4 video review after owning it for over 2 and half years now...

Hi everyone,
After driving my own Lexus GS450h (mk4) for now over 2 and half years, I thought it would be a good opportunity to make a video (first ever about my Lexus!) where I am giving a very honest review of what I think of it i.e. good and not so good (cannot say bad as it is not the case). On the whole, I really like this car so it is not a bad review (in case anyone may be wondering).

Here is the video link below - I am hoping you will find it interesting to watch. If you like it, feel free to put a like button on the YouTube link and if you want to subscribe, then feel to do so as well as my channel is dedicated to cars and Aikido (just in case you were wondering)...

The pandemic situation gave me lots of thoughts to make videos, which helps me cope and take my mind off this awful and unprecedented event we are all going through.

Thank you for dropping by.
Best wishes,
Nick

Lexus GS 450h.png

• Like 5

I really enjoyed that video Nick. Thanks for making and presenting it.

I`ve had my Gen 3 for 7 years and it is coming on 11 years old now and it still drives like new. No problems to report.

I understand completely and can appreciate most of what you say. But as Mr Keats said "Beauty lies in the eye of the beholder"

Your comments about power, rarity and understated luxury and quality are my perceptions too.

I think that the word you were seeking to describe the acceleration might have been "linear".

Many thanks again and best wishes.

John

• Like 4

1 hour ago, royoftherovers said:

I really enjoyed that video Nick. Thanks for making and presenting it.

I`ve had my Gen 3 for 7 years and it is coming on 11 years old now and it still drives like new. No problems to report.

I understand completely and can appreciate most of what you say. But as Mr Keats said "Beauty lies in the eye of the beholder"

Your comments about power, rarity and understated luxury and quality are my perceptions too.

I think that the word you were seeking to describe the acceleration might have been "linear".

Many thanks again and best wishes.

John

Thank you John! I am glad you enjoyed the video. I tried my best as I have never done a car review before in front of the camera but because I am so happy with my car, I had been thinking of making a video with honest views about this car. I think you nailed it quoting "Beauty lies in the eye of the beholder". This car is exactly doing this.

Yes I meant linear (stupid me)! Thanks for your feedback and for the correction. Much appreciated!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Nico72 said:

Thank you John! I am glad you enjoyed the video. I tried my best as I have never done a car review before in front of the camera but because I am so happy with my car, I had been thinking of making a video with honest views about this car. I think you nailed it quoting "Beauty lies in the eye of the beholder". This car is exactly doing this.

Yes I meant linear (stupid me)! Thanks for your feedback and for the correction. Much appreciated!

One final point Nick.......You were so professional that I hardly noticed that you were using a TELEPROMPTER !!

Keep the car.

• Like 2

nice review Nick and i echo your point about just feeling the need to drive the car at every opportunity.. they're so well built, spacious and deliver when needed. and i'm the type of guy who doesn't like his car to draw too much attention but still have an element of luxury, comfort and go when needed and the GS fits this criteria perfectly.  I might consider a MK4 450h at some point as the rear boot space was improved compared to the MK3 450h and i agree the ES is a beautiful looking car but shame the 3.5 V6 was not offered for those who want that engine in the ES.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, royoftherovers said:

One final point Nick.......You were so professional that I hardly noticed that you were using a TELEPROMPTER !!

Keep the car.

was he? didnt even notice 😀

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, royoftherovers said:

Keep the car.

Thanks John! I did this video with my Samsung mobile phone and tripod. It is definitely a car to keep!! No intension to get rid of it.

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, noby76 said:

nice review Nick and i echo your point about just feeling the need to drive the car at every opportunity.. they're so well built, spacious and deliver when needed. and i'm the type of guy who doesn't like his car to draw too much attention but still have an element of luxury, comfort and go when needed and the GS fits this criteria perfectly.  I might consider a MK4 450h at some point as the rear boot space was improved compared to the MK3 450h and i agree the ES is a beautiful looking car but shame the 3.5 V6 was not offered for those who want that engine in the ES.

Thanks Noby for sharing your feedback! Yes, this car is quite special as it grows on you. The more you drive it, the more you appreciate it. Sadly, I share your thoughts about the ES. It is a nice looking car and I really want to love it but the lack of V6 engine is a setback. They should offer it as an option and I am certain it will be even a better car than most competitors in this segment. But it would need to be rear wheel drive too!

2 hours ago, noby76 said:

was he? didnt even notice 😀

No I was not using a TelePrompTer! all the speech was in my head - by the way, it looks easy to do a video but I can tell you it is not! You need some guts and sometimes, you have to redo the whole take before you think yes it is fine. I have 2 kids so I had a very limited window opportunity and I found it is now or never: it was sunny, not windy, mild temperature and the car was clean. Then it is a matter of doing it when it is the quietest moment but you get a big vehicle driving past, can spoil the sound quality, so you have to start over again, then the kids want something from you (generally food) then it is off the grid and you have to re-think and focus on what I want to say. Not easy to do a car review really if you are a parent (especially during school terms!)... But I did my best. It is not the best video but it is ok as I am not pertaining to be a pro doing this but it was good fun to do and edit the video and put it live on YouTube...

• Like 4

48 minutes ago, superatticman said:

Great review. I was thinking of doing something similar with my car! Problem is I'd probably end up trying to sound like Jeremy Clarkson and make a total berk of myself. 

HAha, I see what you mean. It is not easy actually to make a video as you need to think about lots of things before making one. I have now done a second video, which is shared in this post...

Great review and video only had my car since November of last year and feel the same about it in everyway.

The front of the car is a love hate relationship for sure some days I like the look some days not so much.

Have been considering changing out the grille to the f-sport one for a more aggressive look and recently added a spoiler to the rear just need to get my windows in the rear tinted and think I'd be happy out. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Nate_h said:

Great review and video only had my car since November of last year and feel the same about it in everyway.

The front of the car is a love hate relationship for sure some days I like the look some days not so much.

Have been considering changing out the grille to the f-sport one for a more aggressive look and recently added a spoiler to the rear just need to get my windows in the rear tinted and think I'd be happy out. 

Thanks Nathan for dropping by! I like the way you put it for the front grill: love and hate relationship, I completely get it. Overall, we love our cars. I did think about changing the front grille at some point but in the end, it is a Luxury model, so I prefer leaving it as is. Good idea about the rear spoiler but for me, I will keep this car stock as it makes it quite rare. Tinting the windows is a very option, again mine was already tinted when I bought it. It does stand out really nicely with the contrast white colour and gives a mean look at bit... Also, you get better protected in case of an accident as glass debris down shatter. The tint keeps it in one place.

34 minutes ago, royoftherovers said:

Thanks Nick.

I`d have been much happier to see you have two hands on the steering wheel and the constant flapping of something was irritating.

I look forward to your next video.

Thanks for the feedback. I will work on this next time!

• Like 1

Good evening all,

A third video is on its way currently being uploaded on my YouTube Channel... Driving GS 450h on motorway.

If you are brave enough to watch the whole of it, you will see another 2 white GS mk4! GS 250 and GS 300h! It never happened before and I am glad my video is a testimony for seeing these identical cars in one trip! Stay tune... I will share the video link shortly.

Driving GS on motorway

Thanks for the video's it was nice to see a owner review of a GS for change not many of those about in the UK.

I'm seeking a 450h or 300h as my next car keeping with Toyota.

10 hours ago, Initial P said:

Thanks for the video's it was nice to see a owner review of a GS for change not many of those about in the UK.

I'm seeking a 450h or 300h as my next car keeping with Toyota.

Thanks Pete, indeed these cars are quite rare. Both the GS 450h and GS 300h are great cars in their own way. But for me hearing the V6 growling gently is a plus and more attractive to have and the power you get is phenomenal. It holds so well on the motorway and reminded me of my E63 AMG 6.3 Naturally aspirated engine car that I had years ago (W212) when you press the accelerator. The power is there and if we had the Autobhan in the UK, this car would have no trouble getting to the top speed. And the comfort is sublime. I had the opportunity to have a courtesy car in 2019 and drove a Range Rover PHEV sport new model made in 2018 and I did not like the way it was driving and the seats were not comfy at all. The rental company were shocked when I said I am returning the car sooner and wanted my Lexus back (which was in for workshop minor paint repair). That is how good the car is. I know that I will have a difficult time to get a new vehicle (when the time comes) because it simply ticks all the boxes at this moment of time. One of the best cars I have driven to date!! No question.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Initial P said:

Yeah more people would get to experience how good these are if it wasn't for the fact they have to buy German to keep up with the Joneses/Status.

Why on Earth does one feel the need to keep up with the Jones`s ?

There`s a guy in our street who has 4 cars, 3 of which are Japanese and nobody else in the street has any of them. Is he Johnny out of step or does he know something they don`t ?

• Like 1

Re sports car comment does that not depend on the driver lol? I’ve not pushed mines yet properly until i change the tires in next 6-12 months from the previous owners crappy davanti tires. I’m a proper driver then I’ll be happy to test your conclusion lol

• Like 2