Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Multi Meter dasboardSettings

I have A lexus IS 2018 and for some reason I am unable to displayl the setting that show your average MPG with the blue sliding bar that shows at what level MPG you are driving at. I had this up before but It has now been removed and the energy monitor is now in its place 

12 minutes ago, Keith Harris said:

I have A lexus IS 2018 and for some reason I am unable to displayl the setting that show your average MPG with the blue sliding bar that shows at what level MPG you are driving at. I had this up before but It has now been removed and the energy monitor is now in its place 

Have you consulted the Bible in your Glovebox aka the Handbook Keith ?

• Sad 1

Yes of Course I have looked in the handbook but as usual it was clear as mud. Solved the problem myself and surprised all you experts did not no the answer.

I had switched my dash display from the eco meter to  rev counter display this disables the MPG display I had and replaces it with the graphic showing what power you source the car is running on

12 hours ago, cidersteve said:

you don't get the answer first  Keith, wade through the 70,000 page handbook ,then , 2 weeks later , come back and admit defeat ,then you might get an answer !!

It's a rite of initiation that we all go through.

It may have changed on the later models but on my car I use the up and down arrows on the right side of the steering wheel to step through the different displays available in between the rev counter and the speedometer.

I don't think it changes if the rev counter is showing but I haven't recently tried changing it permanently so I'm not sure. I just switch to Sport if I want to see the rev counter.

On my car there are four displays: three have information on mpg, range etc, the energy monitor graphic, and the fourth is blank.

Two of these displays can be changed to show different statistics, like the current mpg bar. (Press the right and left arrows to go to settings.) But I think it's a pity that all these statistics aren't available all the time. Instead you have to stop the car, go into Settings, and then change the choice of statistics you want to see. Maybe they think it's too much of a distraction from driving to have all these statistics available to scroll through at any time so they deliberately made it more difficult. I think it could have been made easier to use.

Incidentally, royoftherovers has a macro on his computer that writes "Have you read the handbook?", which you will see all over the forum and unfortunately it looks as though last Wednesday his cat stepped on the keyboard and initiated the macro. Royoftherovers himself, out in his garden at the time working with his cloches, is the most charming and friendly of forum participants and had he been present at the time and noticed that this was your first post would have given you a warm welcome. But what can you do? Cats, eh?!

But welcome anyway. Do let us know how you get on.

• Haha 2

You can see Roy's point though - give a man a fish and he eats for a day, give him a rod and teach him how to fish and he'll have the perfect excuse to get away from the wife. 

• Haha 1

I suspect I am not alone in finding the Lexus manual difficult to use. There appears to be no search facility, or quick way to get to a topic.

No doubt I will be corrected, but if -for example - I wished to learn about the Lexus display audio system, the manual refers me to page 328. The only way I have found to get to page 328 is to use the scroll down bar on the right.

Any advice would be appreciated

Hi Barry.

[If using the manual stored on your PC]

I find it much easier to open the PDF version of the manual in a web browser (in my case, it's Google Chrome) rather than, say, Adobe Reader. Note:- you can change the default opening application for the manual PDF by right-clicking it in Windows Explorer and amending the "Open with" setting.

When opened in Chrome I can do the following:-

1. Search for a specific word, or string of words, by pressing CTRL-F and typing the search term in the pop-up window
  2. Go straight to a specific page in the PDF by overwriting the current page number in the top bar of the browser with the required page number and then pressing enter

I assume that the default Microsoft browser has similar shortcuts.

Hope this helps.

Thanks Andy, that is so helpful. I use a MAC, thus Safari as my browser.

CMD F brings up the search window, but I cannot find the current page number in the top bar of my browser.

~ny thoughts?

Here are some Adobe Reader shortcuts:

Ctrl+Shift N - go to a page number

Alt+left arrow - go back to previous viewed page

And the shortcut I like in graphical displays:

Spacebar+mouse - a hand appears and allows you to drag the display.

1 hour ago, ikeja said:

I suspect I am not alone in finding the Lexus manual difficult to use. There appears to be no search facility, or quick way to get to a topic.

As for the manual, it seems to have the problem that applies to many manuals - namely it hasn't been tested on real people. Products are generally tested thoroughly before being launched but it's easy to tell in many cases that the manual hasn't been tested. What I mean by that is that people who don't know the product should be given the manual and watched while they try to achieve various tasks. If they can't find what they want, it's the manual that's the problem, not the user.

7 hours ago, ikeja said:

CMD F brings up the search window, but I cannot find the current page number in the top bar of my browser.

~ny thoughts?

Chrome can be installed on Mac, without making it the default browser.

7 hours ago, ikeja said:

~ny thoughts?

Open it in Preview and search for the page number.

On 4/12/2021 at 4:10 PM, Keith Harris said:

Yes of Course I have looked in the handbook but as usual it was clear as mud. Solved the problem myself and surprised all you experts did not no the answer.

I had switched my dash display from the eco meter to  rev counter display this disables the MPG display I had and replaces it with the graphic showing what power you source the car is running on

I tried mine in sports mode today & I still have the MPG display?

Lots of people want lots of tech in their cars nowadays but can’t be arsed to find out how it all works by reading the manual. Much easier to post on a forum and have others provide lots of answers. And of course everything written on the internet is fact so it can always be relied upon.......

2 hours ago, paulrnx said:

Lots of people want lots of tech in their cars nowadays but can’t be arsed to find out how it all works by reading the manual. Much easier to post on a forum and have others provide lots of answers. And of course everything written on the internet is fact so it can always be relied upon.......

I get exactly this at work. People are too bloody lazy to work things out for themselves, and as the IT bloke, it's much easier to ring/Skype/Zoom/Teams me instead of looking it up. I realise that this is part of what I'm paid for, but I often wonder what they do at home. I guess you've just given the answer - they sign up to an internet forum and ask the question there, then post a thinly veiled rude answer when they don't get the result they expected. 

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Mincey said:

I get exactly this at work. People are too bloody lazy to work things out for themselves, and as the IT bloke, it's much easier to ring/Skype/Zoom/Teams me instead of looking it up. I realise that this is part of what I'm paid for, but I often wonder what they do at home. I guess you've just given the answer - they sign up to an internet forum and ask the question there, then post a thinly veiled rude answer when they don't get the result they expected. 

I feel that you are right James.

We had a guy perhaps 18 months ago who had left his BMW and bought a Lexus. He wanted the answer to  a question and in his Posting he stated that he couldn`t be bothered to look in the Handbook, so I and others told him that we wouldn`t answer his questions. He was sorely miffed.

I think that part of the problem is that today, people are not trained to ask the right questions in the right order and as such they overlook the obvious and unknowingly, "put the cart before the horse"

The experienced Tradesman knows how to do it correctly, but the inexperienced, so called Mechanic often does not have a clue unless he is being mentored by a wise old owl. 

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, royoftherovers said:

I feel that you are right James.

We had a guy perhaps 18 months ago who had left his BMW and bought a Lexus. He wanted the answer to  a question and in his Posting he stated that he couldn`t be bothered to look in the Handbook, so I and others told him that we wouldn`t answer his questions. He was sorely miffed.

I think that part of the problem is that today, people are not trained to ask the right questions in the right order and as such they overlook the obvious and unknowingly, "put the cart before the horse"

The experienced Tradesman knows how to do it correctly, but the inexperienced, so called Mechanic often does not have a clue unless he is being mentored by a wise old owl. 

Wise words John!

• Like 1