Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

LC Detailed

wendle

My LC was first detailed from new back in September 2017

As I have decided to keep the car for a few more years I decided to treat it to a re coating.

I had Cristal Serum Ultra with two coats of Exov4 on top. Wheels were also remover and coated front and back.

The Work was carried out by Marvin at  WOW Factors in Orpington at a total cost of £1100

As you can see by the photos the car looks amazing.

QBSX0339.thumb.jpeg.0ddf08cff5ee0e3d68dd5612fae997dc.jpegPZTS5179.thumb.jpeg.59bbed4a29b54240442325817b63ca1d.jpegNFBK8806.thumb.jpeg.77697e696097b2e0407ce75d6352df8a.jpegKVCV4936.thumb.jpeg.012b0cd658973720104f31e9bc4ea2b3.jpeg

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

That does look amazing.

Have you had much stone chip damage anywhere?

A few pics outside in the sunlight would be nice.Such a good colour.

A J.

2 hours ago, AJ500 said:

That does look amazing.

A J.

I have been very fortunate so far in not getting any stone chips, hopefully this will continue ( touch wood )

I have only done around 300 miles on a motorway which is were I consider you are more likely to get them, I also make sure I give a good distance from me and the vehicle in front especially lorries, giving them a wide birth and getting past them as quickly as possible ( any excuse for a bit of V8 noise )

@wendleYour car looks fantastic!

So, my LC is pretty much the same age as Wendle's and I have done 12500 miles on mixed roads. I also have very few stone or other marks of any kind. Maybe it is the aerodynamics of the car. The film protectors in front of the rear wheels have some scarring but I live in a rural area with gravel frequently on the roads.

10 hours ago, AJ500 said:

That does look amazing.

A J.

IMG_1780.thumb.jpeg.b4456fce0373257474bb774b48c1776c.jpegIMG_1779.thumb.jpeg.92c0f1bd95ad22bcc6d639d6936465bf.jpegIMG_1778.thumb.jpeg.86bfe2c3d9501266cf370a28071547d0.jpeg

• Like 4

6 hours ago, Spacewagon52 said:

That now looks brand new! Compared with the cost of upgrading to a new car, it is good value.

And compared to a trip to Mars it`s not even a Peanut, but I`m afraid I do not have the mindset to spend  that much on any or all cars of mine.

I wish Chris well however in avoiding stone chips and imbeciles.

Looks fab! 😃 I love the colour.

I've been thinking of getting mine done but as it had 5k on the clock when I bought it in Feb I'm not sure the end result would be as impressive. A local detailer said it probably could be ceramic coated for about £350 but reserved judgment until he sees it. I'm dithering.

So, is this Cristal Serum Ultra worth the extra money?

It’s the preparation that it’s the part that takes the longest ,for £350 there will be very little prep if any at all. Just A good quality coating would set you back at least £120, if your car is 5 years old and has never had a coating then you wii probably need a stage 1&2 polish, (£1200 ish )to get it to a high standard, Cristal Serum Ultra is one of the best and probably the hardest, can only be applied by a registered detailer

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Alex S. Driver said:

OK. Good to know. Thanks.

I'd appreciate any opinions on this summary: https://www.mkprovalet.co.uk/ceramic-paint-protection

To be fair he does say "from £350" so the top end is nearer your figure.

(BTW - My car is 1 year old - 5k miles.)

Sorry i missed read your post concerning the age of your car, although will still depend on how the car has been washed and looked after on how much preparation work will be needed. 

Its interesting that they give a cost for different protection levels but don't mention any price difference  for the size of the car, i can't see then charging the same price for a Fiat 500 compared to a Land Rover, so that may need some clarification.

Cristal Serum Ultra has a 9 year protection. that would have been £900 for my car, but of course it depends on how long you intend to keep the car, i also had  two coats of Exov4 on top ( £200 extra with coating done at the same time or £250 at any other time , it has 18 months protection ) this was my preference, Exov4 has good hydrophobic properties ( you can see it in action on you tube ) especially if you use filtered water for your final rinse, with a open hose there will be very little water left on the car so would only need very little use of a  drying towel or air blower, and as we all know the less contact with the paint work the better.

they don't mention about the wheels so if you want them done there may be a possible extra charge , I had the wheels removed and the inside and outside were coated.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

It's quite a rabbit hole this business! Nice to be forewarned though.

With those huge brakes and big gaps, the LC500 sheds a lot of carbon onto the alloys. Do you find that you can remove the dust more easily now that they are coated? I can see it being a weekly job. 😓

17 minutes ago, Alex S. Driver said:

It's quite a rabbit hole this business! Nice to be forewarned though.

With those huge brakes and big gaps, the LC500 sheds a lot of carbon onto the alloys. Do you find that you can remove the dust more easily now that they are coated? I can see it being a weekly job. 😓

I haven't cleaned the car yet since its been coated, i was advised to leave it a few days to make sure the coating has completely hardened, so will have a go on Wednesday.

I use Gtechniq W6 Iron fall out remover on the wheels, spray it on, leave for max 10 mins, don't let it completely dry, stinks like hell, so use it in a well ventilated place, jet wash off, done, normally no scrubbing needed, come up as new, saying that they told me that with this coating soapy water would be just as good but would require some brush work, they did say that the W6 would not harm the coating

• Thanks 1

On 4/12/2021 at 9:03 AM, Alex S. Driver said:

OK. Good to know. Thanks.

I'd appreciate any opinions on this summary: https://www.mkprovalet.co.uk/ceramic-paint-protection

To be fair he does say "from £350" so the top end is nearer your figure.

(BTW - My car is 1 year old - 5k miles.)

As  understand it, this Company also claims that they can do a full detailing at ‘your home or work’.  Presumably this is all in one day?

Don’t really understand how that happens, but it’s very Impressive.  My local detailer in Brackley took four days at his premises.  Whatever, I would recommend it if you can afford the investment.  My Lexus IS is white, so it looks really shiny - as opposed to the striking results that Chris has obtained.  Deep colours such as reds and blues definitely respond more dramatically to ceramic coating.

Nevertheless, my objective was to achieve a better protected, longer lasting and easier to maintain paint surface - which I have.  Only drawback, as I’ve mentioned elsewhere, is that I now have to hand wash at home with two buckets.

No more trips to the car wash!

• Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, LenT said:

As  understand it, this Company also claims that they can do a full detailing at ‘your home or work’.  Presumably this is all in one day?

Don’t really understand how that happens, but it’s very Impressive.  My local detailer in Brackley took four days at his premises.  Whatever, I would recommend it if you can afford the investment.  My Lexus IS is white, so it looks really shiny - as opposed to the striking results that Chris has obtained.  Deep colours such as reds and blues definitely respond more dramatically to ceramic coating.

Nevertheless, my objective was to achieve a better protected, longer lasting and easier to maintain paint surface - which I have.  Only drawback, as I’ve mentioned elsewhere, is that I now have to hand wash at home with two buckets.

No more trips to the car wash!

They did tell me on the phone they'd prefer to keep it overnight at their premises to be fully sure the coating had cured (is that the right term?) and I guess multiple coats would mean multiple days. My car is always garaged overnight at my house and kept away from bad weather most of the time. I'm not doing a huge mileage either, so I'm thinking one coat will do me.

😁 I've never taken any of my cars to a car wash until they've been at least 5 years old - the first time is always a scary moment. This one might be even longer. I notice this company do 'maintenance washes' at your home so that might be an option.

What's your two bucket method, Len?

1 hour ago, Alex S. Driver said:

They did tell me on the phone they'd prefer to keep it overnight at their premises to be fully sure the coating had cured (is that the right term?) and I guess multiple coats would mean multiple days.

Well I can't really comment on what another Company might do.  So let me just detail what my guy did.

Here's an outline of the four day's work.

• Multiple stage wash removing potentially damaging material, using Aenso shampoos.
  • Engine bay cleaned and degreased.
  • Wheels removed, cleaned both sides.
  • Wheel wells degreased and decontaminated.
  • Chemical and claybar decontamination.
  • Paintwork assessment.
  • A 2-stage paintwork enhancement.
  • Interior detailing.
  • Glass cleaned and polished inside and out.
  • Multiple HD photos of detailing work.

Also:

• Application of Modesta BC-04 & Modesta BC-05 Glass coatings to bodywork to give a coating life of 8-10 years.
  • Application of baked-on ceramic protection for the wheels.
  • Application of a hydrophobic coating to the glass.
  • Removal and replacement of new laser-cut clear films on body panels.

1 hour ago, Alex S. Driver said:

What's your two bucket method, Len?

Fortunately, I resisted the temptation to just say that it involves two buckets! 🙂

The idea is that you have one bucket solely with the shampoo you're using.  And a second bucket solely for rinsing your 'wash mitt' (Oh yes, you have to have at least one of them!)  The reason is to isolate the water that comes off the car so that there is no possibility of any grit transferring back onto the paint surface.  Plenty of car detailers eager to demonstrate the process on YouTube!

I have to warn you, Graeme, that the price you pay for the undoubted benefits of ceramic coating is that the simple process of car washing now becomes a significant opportunity to spend more time with your car - and to buy more stuff!

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, LenT said:

Well I can't really comment on what another Company might do.  So let me just detail what my guy did.

Here's an outline of the four day's work.

• Multiple stage wash removing potentially damaging material, using Aenso shampoos.
  • Engine bay cleaned and degreased.
  • Wheels removed, cleaned both sides.
  • Wheel wells degreased and decontaminated.
  • Chemical and claybar decontamination.
  • Paintwork assessment.
  • A 2-stage paintwork enhancement.
  • Interior detailing.
  • Glass cleaned and polished inside and out.
  • Multiple HD photos of detailing work.

Also:

• Application of Modesta BC-04 & Modesta BC-05 Glass coatings to bodywork to give a coating life of 8-10 years.
  • Application of baked-on ceramic protection for the wheels.
  • Application of a hydrophobic coating to the glass.
  • Removal and replacement of new laser-cut clear films on body panels.

Fortunately, I resisted the temptation to just say that it involves two buckets! 🙂

The idea is that you have one bucket solely with the shampoo you're using.  And a second bucket solely for rinsing your 'wash mitt' (Oh yes, you have to have at least one of them!)  The reason is to isolate the water that comes off the car so that there is no possibility of any grit transferring back onto the paint surface.  Plenty of car detailers eager to demonstrate the process on YouTube!

I have to warn you, Graeme, that the price you pay for the undoubted benefits of ceramic coating is that the simple process of car washing now becomes a significant opportunity to spend more time with your car - and to buy more stuff!

Mystery solved... thanks. I can see it's time for a change in my car wash methods & time to order some more stuff. I had to laugh that Auto Express held a best car wash mitt award:

https://www.autoexpress.co.uk/product-group-tests/85240/best-car-wash-mitts-2020

I'm wondering what is meant by "laser-cut clear films on body panels" now.

I had an IS before this one - loved the car but eventually it got to 13 years old. I knew it was never going to give me a reason to change so I had to break up the relationship myself. 😆 Oddly though, my LC costs about £100 less to tax than the IS.

Me and LC are still in our honeymoon period so I'm always looking for opportunities to share quality time. 😄

37 minutes ago, Alex S. Driver said:

Mystery solved... thanks. I can see it's time for a change in my car wash methods & time to order some more stuff. I had to laugh that Auto Express held a best car wash mitt 

Well if you thought a ‘Wash Mitt’ beauty contest was a laughing matter, I fear for your safety when you learn about ‘Drying Towels’ and ‘Applicator Pads’!

Actually the laser-cut reference was my error.  These are films that Lexus applied to my IS250 in front of the rear wheels to help prevent road chip damage. They had slightly discoloured with age and the replacements actually produced by my chap came from mechanical cutters that were computer programmed.

They were part of a Wrapping Process - which is not a typo for a musical event.  In fact, if you change your mind about a ceramic finish, you can opt to have your entire vehicle film coated.  And that’s not a laughing matter, cost wise!

😄 Yes, I never realized that washing a car had become such a hi-tech science. I have successfully risked the decision overload that is associated with viewing these seemingly mundane items on amazon. Among the equipment purchased is a thing called a soft silicon drying blade. I might even get my Karcher out and give it break from washing the patio. I'm sure that will impress the neighbours.

I watched this wrapper doing odd things with film to his nice white LC 500 a few weeks back (and I think he has good claim to the the genre, being young, gifted and black). His enthusiasm is infectious and I'm intrigued to see what he does next. I wish I could have afforded an £80k car in my youf.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Alex S. Driver said:

😄 Yes, I never realized that washing a car had become such a hi-tech science. I have successfully risked the decision overload that is associated with viewing these seemingly mundane items on Amazon. Among the equipment purchased is a thing called a soft silicon drying blade. I might even get my Karcher out and give it break from washing the patio. I'm sure that will impress the neighbours.

I watched this wrapper doing odd things with film to his nice white LC 500 a few weeks back (and I think he has good claim to the the genre, being young, gifted and black). His enthusiasm is infectious and I'm intrigued to see what he does next. I wish I could have afforded an £80k car in my youf.

If you have a Karcher then you can use the dispensing bottle to apply the shampoo and get a snow foam covering. Using that instead of - or before -  a Wash Mitt I imagine is personal preference.  As for the Wrapper, well I’m sure you clocked the two buckets outside the garage!

I thought his Lexus looked very good.  I used to do a lot of wallpapering in my youth, but that’s a lot more forgiving than film wrap!  So not something I’d want to try myself.   But I think he tinted the windows too.  Traffic Police do carry tint test cards and I have seen windows being de-tinted as a result.

Incidentally, quite a few folk have wrapping on the front spoilers to help fend off road debris.  One reason why new car buyers have detailing done once the paint has really hardened.

• Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, Alex S. Driver said:

Got the kit....., watched the videos.... looks like the weather is right, so I'll have a go this afternoon. After all, what could go wrong 😇

cwg.thumb.jpg.1c4514d1e8add294e6141ae908ac150c.jpg

I don't know about the others on this site but personally that silicon drying blade is giving my the gitters, sorry but i would never use one of these, even the slightest bit of muck under the blade will scratch the paintwork, a drying towel is much better as it will lift the muck away from the surface. other than that you are ready to go.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, wendle said:

I don't know about the others on this site but personally that silicon drying blade is giving my the gitters, sorry but i would never use one of these, even the slightest bit of muck under the blade will scratch the paintwork, a drying towel is much better as it will lift the muck away from the surface. other than that you are ready to go.

I’m inclined to agree re drying blade.  I noticed it when Chris mentioned it, but you know after going through the shampooing- possibly twice, one with the mitt - then the rinsing, there shouldn’t really be any grit left.  Certainly the drying towel is the way to go, but even they are at their best when pulled across the paint surface.

I hesitate to say this, but there is a possibility of getting a bit anal about the washing of a car!  Of course if Chris goes the ceramic coating  route then then that will provide a much more resilient surface than the original paint.

Yes, weather looks good - just avoid bright sunshine if applying polishes.  I’m sure you’ll be delighted with the results, Chris.

PS - Love the buckets!

• Like 1