Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Whats your favourite tipple

Mr Vlad

partial to many whiskies and whiskeys .............  port, sherry, madeira too ..............  but I keep mine in crystal decanters .......  I feel they should taste better that way :yes:

Malc

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Malc said:

.......  but I keep mine in crystal decanters .......

If you love the glint & glamour of a beautifully cut antique crystal decanter, you may want to think twice about using them to store alcohol on your bar shelf.

Because with potentially high levels of lead contained within the crystal, that innocuous-looking decanter can leach lead into the alcohol, in as little as an hour, creating a dangerous drink. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, Las Palmas said:

If you love the glint & glamour of a beautifully cut antique crystal decanter, you may want to think twice about using them to store alcohol on your bar shelf.

Because with potentially high levels of lead contained within the crystal, that innocuous-looking decanter can leach lead into the alcohol, in as little as an hour, creating a dangerous drink. 

Linas, totally unaware of that😱 thanks

• Haha 1

OMG                I'll have to drink a whole decanter full as soon as I fill it then !  ......  Hadn't realised the intoxicating power of lead crystal ,,,,,,  does that apply to non antique crystal decanters too ?

I have very many decanters but only use a handful .........  5 at a time for port whisky and brandy usually, but I do have about 30 in total as I'm a serial hoarder of crystal ........  tumblers, and jugs and flower vases ......  does orange juice do similar when in a crystal jug ?

Malc

Some new crystal look alike are lead free. They are called crystaline. Looks almost as good as the real thing. Do not know if the orange juice is as fast working, but you probably do not keep orange juice in the glasses an hour before drinking it.

We have some very beautiful old crystal glasses from grandmother (born 1899), she told me they were her grandfathers, so must be old.

• Like 1

alcohol for me is only ever drunk from a crystal vessel, be it a tumbler ( several sizes ) or a cut crystal beer glass ........... some spirit alcohol bottles are so pretty these days it's often a shame to decant it from the bottle ..

Cest le vie

Malc

Very interesting about lead crystal seepage etc. Never been a lover of any kind of crystal glassware. Normal glass for me as I'm a normal bloke. 

1 hour ago, Mr Vlad said:

Very interesting about lead crystal seepage etc. Never been a lover of any kind of crystal glassware. Normal glass for me as I'm a normal bloke. 

I wonder Vlad what your definition of "normal" is? Some might see little difference between that and average. And I can't believe anyone on a Lexus site would be content with being average 🤭

The pursuit of excellence in crafting objects is an admirable aspiration be that in glassware, China tea cups, cashmere scarves, English leather shoes etc. And is for everyone not a titled few as it was some years ago. Speaking of crystal I promise not to mention Dolly Parton and her crystal chandeliers 😂

LOL Phil. By normal I mean glass that's used in bottles drinking glasses etc. To me crystal items are for show and to admire. 

7 minutes ago, Mr Vlad said:

LOL Phil. By normal I mean glass that's used in bottles drinking glasses etc. To me crystal items are for show and to admire. 

Morning Vlad, now I understand, you prefer swigging from the bottle 🥳🥳🥳 And I fully agree, falling asleep with a bottle far more convenient than a glass🍾🍾🍾