Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Hello all! 

I just bought a used NX300h from 2017 with 77.000km and while the car runs superbly I do have a question about the rpm. Especially in sport mode but even in 'normal' mode the engine kinda sounds overworked when I accelerate. 

And in sport mode it goes up to 5500rpm which is already in the 'red area' of the gauge. Is this how it's suppose to run? Is this normal? 

Now I've only had the NX for a week or so and to be fair I've used diesel cars almost exclusively in the last few years so maybe I'm just nod used to it. 

Thanks in advance! 😊 

The beauty of the eCVT system is it allows the engine to operate at its most efficient rpm at any particular moment. So when you want to accelerate the engine rpm is almost instantly increased to obtain maximum power, which for your engine is around 5,5000 rpm. It doesn't have to slowly build up to that speed, or go beyond it and fall back down multiple times as you would with a normal transmission. The downside of the high and constant engine speed is the noise associated, the 'drone' as many motoring journalists refer to it as.

• Like 1

The trick - if it is a trick - is to accelerate much more gradually and smoothly. Try to anticipate more so you don’t need to ‘floor’ the throttle. It’s an entirely different way of driving to a diesel.

Motoring journalists miss the point - perhaps deliberately so - by accelerating hard and then complaining about the way the engine and gearbox work (and how they were designed to work).  

• Like 3

The same motoring journalists who love to recommend Land Rovers without taking any consideration whatsoever of reliability. There shouldn't be a recommendation in the world that puts forward a Land Rover, yet they do, over and over.

4 minutes ago, Steve Oliver said:

The same motoring journalists who love to recommend Land Rovers without taking any consideration whatsoever of reliability. There shouldn't be a recommendation in the world that puts forward a Land Rover, yet they do, over and over.

Just look at the past winners of European Car of the Year Award and that demonstrates what motoring writers know! jack Sh*t!

• Like 1

You get used to it quickly! The Toyota power-split device, which makes its hybrid systems much better integrated than some other manufacturers' hybrids, is designed to allow the ICE engine to run at whatever if the most efficient speed for the requirement being placed on the system. Over twenty years after the Prius launched, motoring journalists still seem congenitally incapable of understanding drivetrains where the traditional linear relationship between road speed doesn't apply. On the upside, for the 95% of time you're not calling for maximum acceleration, the drivetrain is much quieter than in a non-hybrid, especially around town. Hope you enjoy your NX - it's a great package.

• Like 3