Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Hi, 

I drive 2006 GS450H and I'm wondering how much would new hybrid Battery cost me. Have anyone here changed it before? Is it worth it? I love the car and I don't mind driving it for another 20 years if it lasts 🙂 😀 It would be a massive shame scrapping the car just over the hybrid Battery. Its got over 150k miles on the clock and it drives perfectly fine. I know fixing the single cells it's a pain cause there is so many of them and you fix 1 then the other one needs doing and you end up in a never ending circle. Thank you for any info guys. I appreciate any help. 

Hi Jacob and welcome to the club. I think a new Battery should cost between 2,000 and 3,000 £ but others may be more precise in this. Anyway if you change it you simply give new life to the car and can drive for a lot more miles. Replacing single cells is surely cheaper if you find somebody who would do it but of course it may happen that you replace one and after sometime another one needs also replacing, but this does not necessarily happen. 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, NemesisUK said:

If the car "drives perfectly fine" why are you looking to replace the hybrid battery?

I think he is only wondering if it happened that the Battery needs to be replaced. 

• Like 3

14 hours ago, Jacob85 said:

Hi, 

I drive 2006 GS450H and I'm wondering how much would new hybrid battery cost me. Have anyone here changed it before? Is it worth it? I love the car and I don't mind driving it for another 20 years if it lasts 🙂 😀 It would be a massive shame scrapping the car just over the hybrid battery. Its got over 150k miles on the clock and it drives perfectly fine. I know fixing the single cells it's a pain cause there is so many of them and you fix 1 then the other one needs doing and you end up in a never ending circle. Thank you for any info guys. I appreciate any help. 

I asked Toyota here before buying the CT (they have Lexus service and no other Lexus here on the island anymore) and they told me that for the CT 1.8 engine would cost around 2K Euro included installing.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, royoftherovers said:

Read what Tony Richa said just after I joined the Forum !

I read it but this does not prevent any Battery from failing even if it is a rare event. Anyway the OP was only asking how much it would cost to replace it. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Jacob85 said:

Hi, 

I drive 2006 GS450H and I'm wondering how much would new hybrid battery cost me. Have anyone here changed it before? Is it worth it? I love the car and I don't mind driving it for another 20 years if it lasts 🙂 😀 It would be a massive shame scrapping the car just over the hybrid battery. Its got over 150k miles on the clock and it drives perfectly fine. I know fixing the single cells it's a pain cause there is so many of them and you fix 1 then the other one needs doing and you end up in a never ending circle. Thank you for any info guys. I appreciate any help. 

15 hours ago, royoftherovers said:

Have a nice friendly telephone conversation with our Member Richard at Hybrid Battery Solutions.com and you might be pleasantly surprised Jacob.

John is dead right. 100% recommend Richard if you need a replacement Battery.
He replaced mine no issue and was very understanding when I had a massive migraine while he was doing it!
(Literally had to go away and was physically sick due to the pain).

He has two full replacement options at £1.8 and £2.2k with a 2/3 year warranty or 20,000/30,000k miles respectively when I had mine done but prices may have changed.

He can also help with cell replacement and I'd take his advice if he thinks thats the right approach. You can also sell the old Battery cells to re-coup some of that cost as even if not perfect they are still very useful for several other applications.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

On 4/9/2021 at 9:41 AM, serbarry said:

I think he is only wondering if it happened that the battery needs to be replaced. 

Exactly. However every now and then I have a info on the dashboard popping up saying check hybrid system and it cuts off the hybrid alltogether. But when this happens all I have to do is just disconnect normal car Battery in the boot for few seconds and connect it back again and the car driver perfectly fine for another weeks. Weird... 🤔 

So I think that changing the hybrid Battery is going to be unavoidable in  future... 

48 minutes ago, Jacob85 said:

Exactly. However every now and then I have a info on the dashboard popping up saying check hybrid system and it cuts off the hybrid alltogether. But when this happens all I have to do is just disconnect normal car battery in the boot for few seconds and connect it back again and the car driver perfectly fine for another weeks.

That really is not a very good idea for at least a couple of reasons, one of which would be your safety.

So I think that changing the hybrid battery is going to be unavoidable in  future... 

Why would you think that without doing some diagnostic testing and investigation? You may change the Battery on the strength of that message and then be two or three grand out of pocket because it wasn't the Battery after all.

Have a look at this topic to give you an idea of why you shouldn't just jump to conclusions and what you should be doing instead:

On 4/9/2021 at 8:36 AM, Mossypossy said:

I wonder if you got Lexus to supply and fit a new battery whether they would then guarantee THAT battery for another 15 years as they do with the original?

thats what i was wondering if a 3rd party fitted a hybrid Battery would lexus still touch it etc?

Random question re the hybrid Battery mines is a mk4 gs450h 2012 let’s say I went to an official Lexus dealer and paid 2k (or whatever the cost is) and they changed the hybrid Battery

re the newly fitted Battery as we know technology moves on year to year etc would the newly fitted 2021 hybrid Nickel-metal hydride Battery be a reduced weight compared to say the original 2012 hybrid battery? Or any other advantages over the old 2012 Battery?

59 minutes ago, Riccccccardo said:

re the newly fitted battery as we know technology moves on year to year etc would the newly fitted 2021 hybrid Nickel-metal hydride battery be a reduced weight compared to say the original 2012 hybrid battery? Or any other advantages over the old 2012 battery?

I doubt it.

A fellow member on here (can't remember who it was now though) went to buy a "new" Battery pack for his IS300h but coudn't. There is no part number or EPC (Electronic Parts Catalogue) entry for a 'brand new, straight from the factory' Battery pack; you can only buy a reconditioned/remanufactured pack.

Having said that, the plastic cases and the copper bus bars don't deteriorate so they can be reused. The main part of any Battery is the chemicals and materials that actually generate the electricity. They do have a finite lifespan so as long as they are replaced then you have a 'brand new' Battery anyway.

• Like 1

Paul,

Britprius might pop up to say he met a Greek Prius owner who was given a new Prius by Toyota who wanted his old one which had reached 1000000km.

It was on its original hybrid Battery.

John

4 minutes ago, paulrnx said:

Is hybrid battery life limited by mileage or age please? I have a near 6 year old NX300H which I was planning to keep in the family for many years to come. It’s only done 24k miles. 

Herbie, will probably answer on the technical side but from what I have read you should be able to run your 2015 NX for many years to come. Batteries, I believe, are at their most efficient when charging and discharging at the same time. Hybrids do that. The consensus of opinion would suggest that possibly age rather than mileage is more important. Prius taxis achieve Moon shot mileages on the original batteries. Very few posts have appeared from hybrid owners who have had major Battery issues. And there is now a much cheaper fix through the firm Hybrid Battery Solutions. I would have no worries about keeping the car long term - other issues will finish the car before the Battery.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, paulrnx said:

Is hybrid battery life limited by mileage or age please? I have a near 6 year old NX300H which I was planning to keep in the family for many years to come. It’s only done 24k miles. 

Its not as simple as either of those.

Most of the degradation in batteries is caused by a crystal formation around the anode, which makes the fluid less easily able to transmit current. There are a lot of factors which can affect this such as Battery temperature, how often it is used (leaving it to sit for a long time can be bad), how harshly it is used (aka at max all the time vs slower charging/discharging) e.t.c. As well as the quality of the Battery fluid as impurities can cause the crystals to for.

• Like 1

There are the formations, then there is the subsequent rise in internal resistance and resp. waste heat production, leading to accelerated fluid evaporation, leading to... it's a devilish circle.

As stated, not as simple.

On 4/14/2021 at 6:12 PM, Herbie said:

I doubt it.

A fellow member on here (can't remember who it was now though) went to buy a "new" battery pack for his IS300h but coudn't. There is no part number or EPC (Electronic Parts Catalogue) entry for a 'brand new, straight from the factory' battery pack; you can only buy a reconditioned/remanufactured pack.

Having said that, the plastic cases and the copper bus bars don't deteriorate so they can be reused. The main part of any battery is the chemicals and materials that actually generate the electricity. They do have a finite lifespan so as long as they are replaced then you have a 'brand new' battery anyway.

Cool.