Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Departure of an Icon

Fatts

The Duke was a devoted consort (companion to the Sovereign) for almost 70 years, from Her Majesty’s Accession in 1952 until his death.

His Royal Highness passed away peacefully yesterday morning at Windsor Castle. I join with people around the Commonwealth and the world in mourning his loss. The Duke was a devoted consort (companion to the Sovereign) for almost 70 years, from Her Majesty’s Accession in 1952 until his death.

Banji Adegunju 10 April 2021.

• Like 6

I’ve always thought of Philip as what we used to call ‘a good egg’.  
Seeing again the plaudits and affection of those who served with him in the Navy, and worked with him across an extraordinary range of activities, is humbling indeed.

And yet I am saddened to see examples of the ‘tall poppy syndrome’ make an appearance.  Members of the Umbrage Brigade who seek to find offence where none existed.  To witness the genuine grieving expressed by so many members of the Commonwealth who had enjoyed his visits, puts the lie to hints of racist gaffes.

He was a man of his times who overcame a troubled childhood to achieve in life what few can even aspire to. There may be someone who can step into his shoes, but no-one comes to mind.

• Like 4

35 minutes ago, LenT said:

I’ve always thought of Philip as what we used to call ‘a good egg’.  
Seeing again the plaudits and affection of those who served with him in the Navy, and worked with him across an extraordinary range of activities, is humbling indeed.

And yet I am saddened to see examples of the ‘tall poppy syndrome’ make an appearance.  Members of the Umbrage Brigade who seek to find offence where none existed.  To witness the genuine grieving expressed by so many members of the Commonwealth who had enjoyed his visits, puts the lie to hints of racist gaffes.

He was a man of his times who overcame a troubled childhood to achieve in life what few can even aspire to. There may be someone who can step into his shoes, but no-one comes to mind.

Totally agree with everything you've said about the Commonwealth Len. Many people do not appreciate the good works Britain has done for the Commonwealth nations (and still do via DIFD) and why King George VI particularly instilled those values of appreciating and welcoming the contributions of people of all nations to the war efforts (WWII) into our present Queen and instructed her to hold the Commonwealth dearly. I for one will not be a citizen of this Great country today contributing my own little quota were it not for a Commonwealth scholarship offered to my dad in 1962 to come and study accountancy at the then Regent Polytechnic London where he met my mum and then they had me in 1965. Long live the Queen.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1