Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Radio DAB

Artpal

Hi guys need some advise I have a Lexus is250 2012 and want to upgrade my radio with DAB interface has anyone got any idea that the module it’s enough or need windscreen antenna(on the radio there is button for FM/DAB) but on the main screen there is no DAB icon that’s why I think the interface is missing and found one on eBay but without antenna is it worth that upgrade ?

Correct me if I'm wrong - but I thought you 'just' need to get the DAB aerial and receiver, hook it up and then via Software, you enable that function 🤨

• Thanks 1

Hi Gabriel

Thanks for your answer yes you are correct that what I'm thinking about this receiver I found one on eBay but unable to find antenna for it maybe can use some universal DAB antenna not sure yet because I need to take the radio unit out to find out what kind of plug is need it and do you think there need to be software for that too or just plug and play ?

On 4/11/2021 at 8:14 PM, Artpal said:

Hi Gabriel

Thanks for your answer yes you are correct that what I'm thinking about this receiver I found one on Ebay but unable to find antenna for it maybe can use some universal DAB antenna not sure yet because I need to take the radio unit out to find out what kind of plug is need it and do you think there need to be software for that too or just plug and play ?

There is a ton of information on US car forums as the car culture is a bit different.

When I was looking for 3rd party aftermarket radios, I came across on a US car forum, that someone said, the radios with the DAB button have the function, but you need to have it enabled via Lexus or you buy the USB cable and software so you can do it yourself after some fiddling. I'm used to do that on my BMWs so might look into it.

Lexus chargers, at least in the US a fortune for certain things. - It is not really Plug&Pray.

I was looking into 3rd party radios, because the SatNav is from 2010 and I can't find any info about a compatible DVD.
The prices on the bay are between £10 to open limit - and most of the sellers I contacted said it won't work. I don't like to waste money just to find out, doesn't matter if it's a quid or £1.000,-

A decent aftermarket radio for the XE20 sets you back around £450,-
You get Android Play, decent maps aso and they just plug in.

I will probably go that way as I will probably have the car for the next 3 to 4 years.
Atm I'm contemplating exhaust and 1 to 2inch drop - the IS-F is an inch lower and it does make a nice difference.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Arthur. How do you listen to music in your car? Do you listen to the radio, CD's, or do you stream music via Bluetooth? The most simple and by far cheapest way to introduce DAB is to get a Bluetooth adapter and then use your phone to play just about everything you can find.

13 hours ago, Spacewagon52 said:

Can you recommend one Vlad?

Try In Car Connections at Gateshead. I now have BT in my RX and listen toTalk Radio and Swiss Jazz mainly, (gave up on R4 ages ago) via various  phone apps. Get the odd signal drop but nothing significant. 

One thing I am looking into is a viable speed/warning system as I am finding my RX is way too easy to speed in. Any input from the club would be most helpful👍

• Thanks 1

Hi David. I've posted a couple of times what I've bought on eBay but I no longer have the links. I'm not sure if your car has an AUX socket but my car has, I've an is250. If your car doesn't have an AUX socket then there's an alternative but you havevto remove the head unit and plug a different Bluetooth adapter in the back of the radio. Look on either eBay or amazon for Bluetooth adapter for your car.

3 hours ago, Mr Vlad said:

Hi David. I've posted a couple of times what I've bought on eBay but I no longer have the links. I'm not sure if your car has an AUX socket but my car has, I've an is250. If your car doesn't have an AUX socket then there's an alternative but you havevto remove the head unit and plug a different Bluetooth adapter in the back of the radio. Look on either ebay or amazon for Bluetooth adapter for your car.

Thanks Vlad, I will check the handbook!

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Bluetooth-Audio-Music-Adapter-LEXUS-IS-ISF-GS-RX-LS-300-350-400-H-/264004475652?_trksid=p2349624.m46890.l49286

This has been recommended by at least one member here. It does however mean you have to remove the radio unit from the dash to get to the back of it. Actually it's quite easy on the RX compared to the is250. I looked a good while back as I was considering getting a RX400h and looked at YouTube where there are some excellent videos on how to take the radio out.

• 1 month later...
On 4/11/2021 at 9:14 PM, Artpal said:

Hi Gabriel

Thanks for your answer yes you are correct that what I'm thinking about this receiver I found one on Ebay but unable to find antenna for it maybe can use some universal DAB antenna not sure yet because I need to take the radio unit out to find out what kind of plug is need it and do you think there need to be software for that too or just plug and play ?

The antenna the OEM Lexus DAB-tuner uses is a standard "aftermarket" antenna with a Fakra connector.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi everyone - is there a way to get DAB radio on an IS250 F-Sport 2011 with ML system. The DAB and HDD is greyed out on the unit and there is an AM/DAB button on the system.

On 6/29/2021 at 11:04 PM, stevetees said:

Hi everyone - is there a way to get DAB radio on an IS250 F-Sport 2011 with ML system. The DAB and HDD is greyed out on the unit and there is an AM/DAB button on the system.

I believe the only way to get the DAB is to buy the DAB module from Lexus or source it second hand, plug it into the stereo module alongside an antenna possibly. I found these two parts in the Lexus Parts website, while it lists it one as a CT device it is under the IS phase 2 section so I suspect either of these would be the part we need. 

https://lexuspartsdirect.co.uk/parts/category/lexus-is/lexus-is-phase-ii-2006-2013/lexus-is-2-exterior-interior/page/2/

https://lexuspartsdirect.co.uk/parts/lexus-ct/lexus-ct-2010-onwards/lexus-ct-electrical/lexus-ct-phase-1-dab-tuner/

1 minute ago, McShmoopy said:

I believe the only way to get the DAB is to buy the DAB module from Lexus or source it second hand, plug it into the stereo module alongside an antenna possibly. I found this in the Lexus Parts website, while it lists it as a CT device it is under the IS phase 2 section so I suspect this would be the part we need. 

https://lexuspartsdirect.co.uk/parts/lexus-ct/lexus-ct-2010-onwards/lexus-ct-electrical/lexus-ct-phase-1-dab-tuner/

Why? Just try your smartphone? Mine works brilliantly well and yes, sometimes, it drops out but its infrequent unless of course you are seeking concert hall performance in which case sell the car and buy a debenture for the Royal Albert Hall and use taxis 😅

8 hours ago, Phil xxkr said:

Why? Just try your smartphone? Mine works brilliantly well and yes, sometimes, it drops out but its infrequent unless of course you are seeking concert hall performance in which case sell the car and buy a debenture for the Royal Albert Hall and use taxis 😅

Haha I actually agree, I heard the DAB tuner for this gen Lexus was quite patchy signal wise so Im not fussed. I actually use apple CarPlay in my 2010 IS250 with a GROM VLINE2 unit and while it didn't work at first, a few back and forth and patience with GROM and I got it working 100%.

64080733156__153C5358-5AF7-499B-A760-AEA6D56A04B2.jpeg

• Like 1