Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Tyre Pressure

Damer

Can someone please back me up, and tell my Wife that accelerating into a speed hump, is not the way to drive! That is what is triggering the tyre pressure warning. She used to do the same thing in her Mini and I was forever having to get the tyres refilled. Ours is a 2019 CT200h with less than 6k miles on the clock.

Tyres are constantly being subjected to forces far greater than those delivered by speed humps. I suggest checking the tyre pressures with a pressure gauge. One or more may be very close to the trigger point for the TPMS.

But you are correct, in that one shouldn't accelerate into a speed hump. Equally one shouldn't brake into the hump either! Slow well before and cross the hump at a constant speed. 

I think the tyres/wheels are deflecting and then triggering the sensors, when she hits bumps. I re-set and check the tyres each time. Each time one or other of the front tyres have lost pressure. It is not just one, so it is doesn't seem like a slow puncture on one side.

Actually there is a school of thought that accelerating VERY GENTLY over the speed hump will smooth out your journey. The most important thing is to brake to a speed appropriate to the size/shape of the speed hump BEFORE the hump then tickle to accelerator gently as you go up over it. It also helps if you approach at a slight angle so one wheel meets the hump first.

If you are getting air loss then this clearly indicates excessive speed causing shock

The Advanced Motorist's technique I was taught is to dab and let go of the brake just before the speed hump and this makes the car front "rise up" making you hit the speedhump on the "up movement" of the car thus making it more gentle than just hitting the speedhump without altering your speed at all

• Like 2

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links