Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content


How do I sell my IS300 Sportcross in a Covid safe way?


Recommended Posts

I'm not sure how to go about selling my car privately while observing social distancing rules.

As I understand it we shouldn't go for test drives even if wearing masks but I'm wary about letting a prospective purchaser out on their own.

Who has sold a car recently? What's 'best practice' with Covid19 around?

Any advice gratefully received. Thanks!

Link to post
Share on other sites

You can't give anyone to test drive your car anyway, unless they have insurance. Some people may do, but not all. 

As far as social distancing it is not clear, legally there are no such rule - just government advice. It is really up-to you if you feel it is necessary to observe the advice or not.

Besides now the restrictions seems to be lifted, but with our government it is never clear what one suppose to do. Now people can go to pubs, so I am not sure what is the issue with car test drive? From 22nd April driving lessons will be allowed, so I assume test drive is fine as far as covid rules are concerned. 

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/explainers-52530518

Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks for the advice and the link.

I agree there seem to be plenty of grey areas. The way I read it was that we are not allowed to meet people from another household indoors before 17th May and I think that applies to giving lifts in cars. 

The easing for driving instructors and examiners is for social/economic needs.  I'm not sure it applies to private car sales like mine but I will press on with advertising the Lexus. I've had it a number of years so feel a little out of touch with the best way to proceed.

I appreciate you taking the time to write back. Cheers.

Link to post
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Linas.P said:

You can't give anyone to test drive your car anyway, unless they have insurance. Some people may do, but not all. 

As far as social distancing it is not clear, legally there are no such rule - just government advice. It is really up-to you if you feel it is necessary to observe the advice or not.

Besides now the restrictions seems to be lifted, but with our government it is never clear what one suppose to do. Now people can go to pubs, so I am not sure what is the issue with car test drive? From 22nd April driving lessons will be allowed, so I assume test drive is fine as far as covid rules are concerned. 

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/explainers-52530518

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/content/features/safely-buying-and-selling-a-car-during-coronavirus-outbreak

Link to post
Share on other sites

So basically it says what I said - there are no guidance for private sale. Government guidance for social distancing is not the law and it isn't very clear how exactly to comply, it is left pretty much for individuals to decided what they feel comfortable with. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

I've bought and sold six cars privately since this **** show started. All depends on your attitude to risk and the precautions you take. The world has to continue turning.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't want to turn it into moral discussion, but I agree with above - at first when lockdown was for everyone I was really behind it in principle, but the more we live with this, the more selective the government gets... - so it is OK for kids to go to schools, yes kids, who will most definitely not going to socially distance and who always gets all diseases first and spreads them, but it is NOT OK to buy or sell cars for 2 adults, who unlike kids actually understand what hygiene is, wears masks and keeps distance. Not sure I can appreciate this logic. 

Besides I know 4 households who had covid and all 4 got it same way, kids went to school, got sick, came back home and then parents got sick. Luckily for them it was nothing more than mild flue and everyone are ok.

Finally, I would add - follow common sense and do what you feel comfortable with. It is not beyond reason to ask the potential buyer if they had it previously or if they not sick before agreeing for them to get into the car. Obviously, if someone comes to "test drive" the car all sneezing, coughing, with runny nose and obviously unwell... I probably would not let them do it and would ask to keep the distance when looking at the car. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Do as Richie 1068 said or do not sell it at all.

Gov`t advice is for guidance and implicit within Richie`s comment.

Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, WilliamH said:

I'm not sure how to go about selling my car privately while observing social distancing rules.

As I understand it we shouldn't go for test drives even if wearing masks but I'm wary about letting a prospective purchaser out on their own.

Who has sold a car recently? What's 'best practice' with Covid19 around?

Any advice gratefully received. Thanks!

Chap in my village is a small car dealer his advice is; 1-insist on sight of insurance document. 2 - insist on sight of driving licence with minimal contraventions. 3 - insist on holding the keys of the car they came in. 4 - agree the length of time if unaccompanied. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, Phil xxkr said:

Chap in my village is a small car dealer his advice is; 1-insist on sight of insurance document. 2 - insist on sight of driving licence with minimal contraventions. 3 - insist on holding the keys of the car they came in. 4 - agree the length of time if unaccompanied. 

I agree with some of the advice which isn't bad... 

But how do you check 2 - contraventions specifically?

3 - may not mean much, they can give you any keys and their friend just waiting in the car will drive away, then when police comes (which they most definitely won't do for stolen car), the guy in the car will say that he simply gave your buyer a lift and does not know anything about him. Probably not that big of an issue for older IS300 (i.e. there is little initiative to pull this off), but I certainly wouldn't advise that with more valuable car. 

4 - I would not let buyer to drive my car without me, when you are small dealer maybe that is ok, but for private sale no-go... 

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Linas.P said:

I agree with some of the advice which isn't bad... 

But how do you check 2 - contraventions specifically?

3 - may not mean much, they can give you any keys and their friend just waiting in the car will drive away, then when police comes (which they most definitely won't do for stolen car), the guy in the car will say that he simply gave your buyer a lift and does not know anything about him. Probably not that big of an issue for older IS300 (i.e. there is little initiative to pull this off), but I certainly wouldn't advise that with more valuable car. 

4 - I would not let buyer to drive my car without me, when you are small dealer maybe that is ok, but for private sale no-go... 

So firstly, the question was about Covid safe transactions not an ultra safe way of protecting your car from thieves for which there is, ultimately none. On the question of contraventions, yes, I agree, but look, ask the question, do you have a valid licence with no endorsements. Yes they can fib but use your God given judgment - does this person feel right? 

Secondly, re accompanied driving entirely your call. CV-19 makes things temporarily not as they were. So, don't advertise your car right now, or make a judgement call on your adherence to CV regs. Not difficult really - make a decision its as simple as that. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

I agree with your points, but I want to point out that there are things which are required by law, then there are things which are government guidance and finally things which are common sense / personal judgement.

Insurance and driving licences are required by law - you must not give car for a person who does not have either, because otherwise you will be liable for allowing somebody without license/insurance to drive. Asking about endorsements is kind of pointless, neither you have right to check it, nor buyer has to answer it and it may create unnecessary friction. Likewise with the keys - if they want to steal your car they will do it as you said yourself, if they don't then they don't even without you taking their keys - which again just another needless conflict. I simply would not allow them to go test drive on their own.

As far as government guidance goes - there is none for private car sale. It may be under general rules that people should not go out unless "necessary", but as shown by court of law "necessary" could mean anything. If one consider buying/selling car "necessary" then it is - every single covid fine which went to court was dismissed. As well there are no rules to say people from different household cannot be in the same car - otherwise public transport, taxis etc could not work.

And finally when it comes to common sense / personal judgement - as I said myself, if person looks ill - not only I would not want to be in car with them, but I would not even let them in the car at all. And it is not about covid - be it simple flu... I just feel it is poor judgement to go out testing cars when you sick... lay in the bed until you feel better! As such if such buyer would come by I would just ask them politely to came back later "when they feel better". They can still inspect the car from outside if the want 😁

Other thing to consider are you in the vulnerable category yourself? If yes and you genuinely afraid of covid, then maybe it is wrong time to sell the car. 

 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
52 minutes ago, Linas.P said:

I agree with your points, but I want to point out that there are things which are required by law, then there are things which are government guidance and finally things which are common sense / personal judgement.

Insurance and driving licences are required by law - you must not give car for a person who does not have either, because otherwise you will be liable for allowing somebody without license/insurance to drive. Asking about endorsements is kind of pointless, neither you have right to check it, nor buyer has to answer it and it may create unnecessary friction. Likewise with the keys - if they want to steal your car they will do it as you said yourself, if they don't then they don't even without you taking their keys - which again just another needless conflict. I simply would not allow them to go test drive on their own.

As far as government guidance goes - there is none for private car sale. It may be under general rules that people should not go out unless "necessary", but as shown by court of law "necessary" could mean anything. If one consider buying/selling car "necessary" then it is - every single covid fine which went to court was dismissed. As well there are no rules to say people from different household cannot be in the same car - otherwise public transport, taxis etc could not work.

And finally when it comes to common sense / personal judgement - as I said myself, if person looks ill - not only I would not want to be in car with them, but I would not even let them in the car at all. And it is not about covid - be it simple flu... I just feel it is poor judgement to go out testing cars when you sick... lay in the bed until you feel better! As such if such buyer would come by I would just ask them politely to came back later "when they feel better". They can still inspect the car from outside if the want 😁

Other thing to consider are you in the vulnerable category yourself? If yes and you genuinely afraid of covid, then maybe it is wrong time to sell the car. 

 

That's an awful lot of words Linas, do you get paid per syllable? 🤑

Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, WilliamH said:

Thanks for all your advice and comments  @Linas.P @Phil xxkr @royoftherovers @rich1068 

Much appreciated. 

I'm not in a vulnerable group and will put the car up for sale shortly as planned. 

As always, a bit of commonsense goes a long way.

Thanks again.

Wish you were advising Sage William 

Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, WilliamH said:

Thanks for all your advice and comments  @Linas.P @Phil xxkr @royoftherovers @rich1068 

Much appreciated. 

I'm not in a vulnerable group and will put the car up for sale shortly as planned. 

As always, a bit of commonsense goes a long way.

Thanks again.

Make sure you put it up here too. We like an IS300 Sportcross :thumbsup:

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, rich1068 said:

Make sure you put it up here too. We like an IS300 Sportcross :thumbsup:

Happy to oblige! I think it's a good looking car/wagon.

After 6 years I'll be sorry to see it go but we've decided we only need one car now we're sort-of retired.

IMG_20210414_134747_371.jpg

Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, royoftherovers said:

Now that looks worth having !

Please tell us more in the cars for sale section.

Thanks. I won't be putting it up for sale for a couple of days. It's on wedding duty tomorrow as my eldest daughter is getting married and I'm driving her to the registry office!

  • Like 4
Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, WilliamH said:

Thanks. I won't be putting it up for sale for a couple of days. It's on wedding duty tomorrow as my eldest daughter is getting married and I'm driving her to the registry office!

Have a great day William.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 4 weeks later...

My Lexus IS300 SportCross - Navigator option - now uploaded for listing in the For Sale section on this site.

Thanks for commenting on this post earlier.

Kind regards

William

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...




Forums


News


Membership