Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

RX450hl purchase

Hi all,

Looking to purchase a pre-owned RX450hl from a Lexus dealer shortly; probably looking at a 2019 model and test driving one tomorrow. 

Just wondering what joy any of you have haggling over the price for these pre-owned cars? I love a good haggle. Any stories or ideas about what is achievable or realistic appreciated. Thanks all!

J

• Like 1

I'm understanding there's a HUGE surplus of 2nd hand cars for sale and in storage right now waiting to be sold at some time whenever the market might return .......... thinking you're not to be rushed into believing what some slick sales person might be leading you into Jonathan

It's never a seemingly good time ( i.e. inexpensive )  to buy and always a terrible time to sell when one is a private customer .........so the garage will be telling one !

Never enough good and proper stock of the model you're wanting to buy .......... and always a surplus of your specific car if you're trying to sell ( which you're not )

You're of an age Jonathan where you know all the pros and cons and games these car sales professionals get up to :wink3:

Go beat 'em up eh !

Good luck

Malc

• Like 2

11 hours ago, jpjsavage said:

Hi all,

Looking to purchase a pre-owned RX450hl from a Lexus dealer shortly; probably looking at a 2019 model and test driving one tomorrow. 

Just wondering what joy any of you have haggling over the price for these pre-owned cars? I love a good haggle. Any stories or ideas about what is achievable or realistic appreciated. Thanks all!

J

J, firstly, look up Kevin hunter the homework guy on YouTube, fantastic insights especially the one on Leverage. Secondly, following on from Malcs comment I believe there are thousands of vehicles on PCP contracts being artificially funded through furlough money. Unless we have a V shaped recovery this will have an interesting impact on 2nd hand values in the near future 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Zotto said:

Just a question: do you really need 7 seats? If not, I would buy a RX. 

The thing about the 7-seater RX is that the last row of seats can be taken out to provide more luggage space.

If we could afford one we'd have it in a heartbeat. We have no kids but when we drive into Europe for our holidays, it's a bit of a struggle to get the wife's mobility scooter and four weeks-worth of clothes in the normal-sized boot/luggage area.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Herbie said:

The thing about the 7-seater RX is that the last row of seats can be taken out to provide more luggage space.

If we could afford one we'd have it in a heartbeat. We have no kids but when we drive into Europe for our holidays, it's a bit of a struggle to get the wife's mobility scooter and four weeks-worth of clothes in the normal-sized boot/luggage area.

I did not realise you could take the rear seats out. Any extra space is always welcome. I really like the (old) Previa 7 seater. All the rear seats (5) can be taken out and effectively you have a van. That is a real multi-purpose vehicle. 

6 minutes ago, Spacewagon52 said:

I did not realise you could take the rear seats out.

You've got me thinking now David. Maybe they fold down rather than come out, I'm not sure now.

52 minutes ago, Herbie said:

You've got me thinking now David. Maybe they fold down rather than come out, I'm not sure now.

I thought they were electrically operated, so possibly they don't come out?

Hi,

Test drive completed. A little underwhelmed tbh. Noise of electric engine under acceleration was quite pronounced but everything else was quieter. Definitely louder in the cabin than my 2008 LS600h. But very comfortable indeed. 

Third row of seats are electrically operated from the boot. I don't think they come out but they do fold flat. As you all know, really only suitable for children although I did manage to get in 😀.

The car we drove was a 2019 model with around 16.5k miles. They are asking £40,700 for it but I'm really not convinced. 

Cayenne test drive tomorrow. We'll see what that is like. 

Thanks all, Jonathan

• Like 1

7 hours ago, jpjsavage said:

Interesting! Thanks to both of you for your comments. Lots to think about. Off for a test drive now but no decisions today. Cayenne test drive tomorrow. 

Don`t be surprised by the maintenance costs if you down the Cayenne route JP.

1 minute ago, royoftherovers said:

Yes, there is that. Lexus always wins for reliability. I was probably not quite as positive as I should have been in the previous post. The RX was a very nice drive indeed. Just surprised that the electric motor noise was so evident under acceleration.

5 minutes ago, jpjsavage said:

Yes, there is that. Lexus always wins for reliability. I was probably not quite as positive as I should have been in the previous post. The RX was a very nice drive indeed. Just surprised that the electric motor noise was so evident under acceleration.

I've never heard an electric motor noise under heavy acceleration as any noise has always been drowned out by the petrol engine revving highly due to the way the eCVT works. And don't forget that the RX is basically an estate car with no separate boot to help with noise deadening/travel - it will always be louder in every respect than the LS600hl.

• Like 3

19 minutes ago, royoftherovers said:

You are right my friend, I considered Cayenne but the cost of ownership was a non starter. Initiall acquisition manageable, after that too many unknowns. And its just not the costs its the sheer inconvenience of things going wrong. 

1 hour ago, Phil xxkr said:

You are right my friend, I considered Cayenne but the cost of ownership was a non starter. Initiall acquisition manageable, after that too many unknowns. And its just not the costs its the sheer inconvenience of things going wrong. 

German and Reliability is a contradiction in terms Phil. I have never seen or heard of any Reliability Survey this side of Neil and Buzz landing in  the Sea of Tranquillity which had German vehicles at the summit.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Herbie said:

I've never heard an electric motor noise under heavy acceleration as any noise has always been drowned out by the petrol engine revving highly due to the way the eCVT works. And don't forget that the RX is basically an estate car with no separate boot to help with noise deadening/travel - it will always be louder in every respect than the LS600hl.

Agree.  You can't have heavy acceleration without the engine kicking in. When on electric power only at relatively low speed and with light acceleration it's very quiet.  So it really comes down to the CVT gearbox that gives an impression of over revving due to clutch slip. I tolerate it but prefer a normal auto box which has been improved  to provide pretty seamless changes even with more change points  nowadays.  

17 minutes ago, royoftherovers said:

German and Reliability is a contradiction in terms Phil. I have never seen or heard of any Reliability Survey this side of Neil and Buzz landing in  the Sea of Tranquillity which had German vehicles at the summit.

Mercedes were an exception if you go back a long way with countless taxis doing mega miles and a reputation for standing up to punishing roads, (if you could call them that) in West Africa better than anything else as I remember from experience.  However, the cars were very expensive and they went downhill when they cut costs to compete with other makes and the challenge from Japan.  One aspect of this was that some parts were being bought in from other countries.  The only problem on my tank-like W124 320 Coupe was the failed under bonnet wiring loom which I was told came from a former eastern block country.  After that model the quality dipped. and Mercedes had more problems.  Mercedes have never since re-established that former superiority, competing more with BMW, Porsche, and Audi and in some areas some VW's nowadays.  Good reputation is one reason why I moved on to Lexus.

• Like 3

27 minutes ago, royoftherovers said:

You do raise John the interesting psychology of perception and how long-lasting llusions can be as in the case of MB. By coincidence the German chap Nietzsche said"all things are subject to interpretation. Whichever interpretation prevails at a given time is a function of power and not truth"

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Phil xxkr said:

You do raise John the interesting psychology of perception and how long-lasting llusions can be as in the case of MB. By coincidence the German chap Nietzsche said"all things are subject to interpretation. Whichever interpretation prevails at a given time is a function of power and not truth"

Indeed.

And how many Angels did dance on that Pinhead ?

30 minutes ago, Phil xxkr said:

You do raise John the interesting psychology of perception and how long-lasting llusions can be as in the case of MB. By coincidence the German chap Nietzsche said"all things are subject to interpretation.”.

So you’re going back to Nietzsche now, are you?

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Barry14UK said:

Mercedes were an exception if you go back a long way with countless taxis doing mega miles and a reputation for standing up to punishing roads, (if you could call them that) in West Africa better than anything else as I remember from experience.  However, the cars were very expensive and they went downhill when they cut costs to compete with other makes and the challenge from Japan.  One aspect of this was that some parts were being bought in from other countries.  The only problem on my tank-like W124 320 Coupe was the failed under bonnet wiring loom which I was told came from a former eastern block country.  After that model the quality dipped. and Mercedes had more problems.  Mercedes have never since re-established that former superiority, competing more with BMW, Porsche, and Audi and in some areas some VW's nowadays.  Good reputation is one reason why I moved on to Lexus.

You are so right Barry. W124 was succeeded by W210 which turned out to be a rust bucket and Accountants ,not Engineers took over at M.B..

Peugeot 504/505 was another quality car too. Won the Paris-Dakar several times, if I`m not mistaken.

But as I say, nothing after July 1969.

• Like 1

OK, drove the Cayenne. Great car, but we have decided to go down the RX450hl route. 

Does anyone know when you have the 3rd row of seats folded flat whether the parcel shelf extends to cover the whole of the boot area? We forgot to check this at the dealer yesterday. 

• Like 1

On 4/13/2021 at 4:21 PM, royoftherovers said:

I ran the 958 model of Cayenne (diesel) to around 150k miles. It ran a pretty hard life too. Maintenance costs were in line with the Lexus - and that was with a OPC (main dealer). Reliability was top notch and the warranty great and the extended one not too dissimilar in price to the Lexus. Consumables (like tyres) - in line with Lexus. In fact despite it wearing 21" rubber the cost of good tyres (Pirelli PZero's for example) worked out to be a tiny bit cheaper than the 19's on the RX! Would deffo go back to the Cayenne if I could. I was lucky to have a great dealer near me so that does play a big part (irony - the Lexus dealer me I don't really rate).

• Like 1