Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

New LS460 owner

JPC

It all started about 3 years ago when I saw a lovely LS400 near the office (W664SCE if that's anyone here). So I bought the Lexus book by Brian Long and decided that an LS would be the ideal next car.

I have a couple of classics already (RX7 and a rotary MX5) so wanted a modern V8 LS to use as a daily driver for the next 20 years.

I'm not a fan of the spindle grill and infotainment systems on the 2012+ models, preferring simple looks and buttons. The LS400/430 are already ~20 years old, the LS500 is a V6. So that left the pre-2012 LS460/600.

The 2006-7 LS460 don't like E10 petrol, most of the LS600 of that age are 4-seaters and didnt seem offer much over the 460 SE-L so a 08/09 460 SE-L was the one to get as a long-termer.  Just had to wait for the right one...

Finally found one and picked it up a couple of weeks ago from Lexus Woodford.  It was registered in 2010 and has 53K miles, FLSH. The control arms and 100K service have already been done along with new tyres/battery. I bought the extra warranty and service plan for the next 3 years. Surprisingly, main dealer prices seem better than private sellers and independents.

It seems fantastically well built and a pleasure to drive.

• Like 3

Hello Jon and welcome to Lexus ownership and the best Lexus forum there is. Sounds like you've got yourself a pearler of a car. It should keep you going 20 years easily as I'm sure you'll look after it. You should post some photos of your silent beast.

3 hours ago, JPC said:

It all started about 3 years ago when I saw a lovely LS400 near the office (W664SCE if that's anyone here). So I bought the Lexus book by Brian Long and decided that an LS would be the ideal next car.

I have a couple of classics already (RX7 and a rotary MX5) so wanted a modern V8 LS to use as a daily driver for the next 20 years.

I'm not a fan of the spindle grill and infotainment systems on the 2012+ models, preferring simple looks and buttons. The LS400/430 are already ~20 years old, the LS500 is a V6. So that left the pre-2012 LS460/600.

The 2006-7 LS460 don't like E10 petrol, most of the LS600 of that age are 4-seaters and didnt seem offer much over the 460 SE-L so a 08/09 460 SE-L was the one to get as a long-termer.  Just had to wait for the right one...

Finally found one and picked it up a couple of weeks ago from Lexus Woodford.  It was registered in 2010 and has 53K miles, FLSH. The control arms and 100K service have already been done along with new tyres/battery. I bought the extra warranty and service plan for the next 3 years. Surprisingly, main dealer prices seem better than private sellers and independents.

It seems fantastically well built and a pleasure to drive.

Congratulations Jon on a very good deal.

Are you able to explain how you were able to effect a Lexus Extended Warranty on a vehicle that was more then 10 years by 1January 2021 ?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, royoftherovers said:

Are you able to explain how you were able to effect a Lexus Extended Warranty on a vehicle that was more then 10 years by 1January 2021 ?

I wondered the same but asked for it anyway.  The extended warranty was on the order form I signed and I've paid for it.  Yet to receive paperwork for it though....

Some pics below.  Two on the driveway at home, two from the dealer before it was prepped.  

The only problem I've found so far is the sunroof surround has perished at the front edge so that is being replaced by the dealer.  Everything just seems to work.  Stereo is the best I've heard in a car, I've got a Levinson amp in my home setup which is also very good.   The previous owner has fitted a high-end dashcam (Blackvue 4K with front/rear cameras) which I only noticed a week after driving it, wondered why the car was telling me it was recording.

Interior condition is very good, seats look hardly used.  Some B-pillar trim was replaced as part of the dealer prep, seems like the seat-belt clip knocks against it as you get out an it eventually wears through.

Its my first automatic which has taken a bit of getting used to and the size of it means I have to give it plenty notice to take a corner.  

image_front.jpg

image_rear.jpg

IMG_5978.jpg

IMG_5971-min.jpg

• Like 4

look out for the good advices on here about maintenance and stuff for a Ls460 .....  specifically the radiator changing issue to preserve your gearbox from annihilation at some stage .......  11 years old is a good age to think about this sort of stuff tbh

Lovely car and with extended warranty then that's good BUT there are issues that Lexus won't ever admit to though 😵

Malc

• Like 1

2 hours ago, JPC said:

I wondered the same but asked for it anyway.  The extended warranty was on the order form I signed and I've paid for it.  Yet to receive paperwork for it though....

Some pics below.  Two on the driveway at home, two from the dealer before it was prepped.  

The only problem I've found so far is the sunroof surround has perished at the front edge so that is being replaced by the dealer.  Everything just seems to work.  Stereo is the best I've heard in a car, I've got a Levinson amp in my home setup which is also very good.   The previous owner has fitted a high-end dashcam (Blackvue 4K with front/rear cameras) which I only noticed a week after driving it, wondered why the car was telling me it was recording.

Interior condition is very good, seats look hardly used.  Some B-pillar trim was replaced as part of the dealer prep, seems like the seat-belt clip knocks against it as you get out an it eventually wears through.

Its my first automatic which has taken a bit of getting used to and the size of it means I have to give it plenty notice to take a corner.  

image_front.jpg

image_rear.jpg

IMG_5978.jpg

IMG_5971-min.jpg

Looks a beauty. Well done.

Eh up Jon so you have a Levinson amp in your home set up? Which one is it and how long have you had it? What's your system made up of if you don't mind me asking? I've had Quad now for about 30 years which I bought 2nd hand then. 44 pre amp and 405-2 power. Kef 101c speakers with a custom sub designed by the original Wilmslow Audio. Thorens TD160B mk2 with SME 3 mk2 arm and Shure V15 111. Hardly used in the past decade but wired it up about 2 years ago and blew me away. Forgot how ruddy loud and clear it was lol.

Anyway I digress. Your car looks beautiful. As stated above. There seems to be an issue regarding the radiator and water leakage into the gearbox. 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Mr Vlad said:

Eh up Jon so you have a Levinson amp in your home set up? Which one is it and how long have you had it? What's your system made up of if you don't mind me asking? I've had Quad now for about 30 years which I bought 2nd hand then. 44 pre amp and 405-2 power. Kef 101c speakers with a custom sub designed by the original Wilmslow Audio. Thorens TD160B mk2 with SME 3 mk2 arm and Shure V15 111. Hardly used in the past decade but wired it up about 2 years ago and blew me away. Forgot how ruddy loud and clear it was lol.

Anyway I digress. Your car looks beautiful. As stated above. There seems to be an issue regarding the radiator and water leakage into the gearbox. 

Hi Vlad,

Its a no.29, the rest of the system is an uprated Sondek with Lingo/Ekos/Arkiv, Audio Research SP10 and B&W 802 speakers.  Most of it is ~30 years old, the speakers and tonearm/cartridge a bit newer. Lingo was refurb'd last year. I like things to last.   I remember the quad stuff when I was first looking, was considered one of the best at the time.

The 460 stereo just cant do the bass of a good home setup but is more than good enough for a car.   Distortion seems to be very low and the lack of background noise in the car really helps.

I didnt come across much about the radiator on my research, is it more common in the UK?  

Hi Jon. Look in the LS section of this forum. Tons of excellent info and advice. I sometimes pop in for a glance and that's where I first learnt of the issue. 

You've got some home hifi gear I've not heard of but kind of rings a bell, must be my age lol.

1 hour ago, JPC said:

didnt come across much about the radiator on my research, is it more common in the UK?  

more info with the Ls430 but it's exactly the same issue re the rad water ingress mixing gearbox oil problem ....... it's the car .......... not just the UK issue I'm sure

Best wishes

Malc

• Like 1

Sunroof rubber has perished on the front edge so the dealer is going to replace the whole unit under warranty.  No fuss, just going to sort it out.

Very impressed by the Lexus brand so far.