Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Rx 450h Hybrid Battery Replacement

The hybrid Battery should normally exceed 10 years of life. Some have been quoted to last up to 15 years. 

As far as I know, the health check of the hybrid Battery involves reading the internal resistance of the cells and their voltage. This information is acessed by the diagnostic tool during a scan of the vehicle.

The values of the internal resistance of the cells is a good indication of their condition and life expectancy. As any Battery ages, its internal resistance rises.

If you have a power drain, it may be due to damage of the high voltage cables from the Battery to the inverter. Also the high voltage cables to the automatic transmisdion may have been damaged during off road use. Very unlikely for any of the capacitors in the inverter to have failed although anything is possible. Do a visual check under the car.

It is very unlikely for the leakage to be in the high voltage Battery

Chris.

On 4/20/2021 at 2:06 PM, mandy3211 said:

Raj,

The trouble is that my vehicle is almost 2 hours away from Richard of hybrid battery solutions. I’m contemplating the cost to take the vehicle there and then also the problem won’t be solved as my vehicle has a leakage somewhere so the whole of the hybrid battery is corroded. Not sure if replacing cells would work on this one or not. Lexus have said that they’ll investigate and fix the leakage for me so that this problem doesn’t arise in the future. My question to them was that the vehicle has been coming to them twice a year for MOT and service but they didn’t know in the last couple of years that a leakage is corroding the battery. I’m surprised at the dealership. I need to have a final chat with them before I decide the further course of action.

Mandy

have you made some progress. Perhaps you can share to help me in making an informed decision too.

best 

This thread. In pistonheads 

https://www.pistonheads.com/gassing/topic.asp?h=0&f=&t=1874559

appears to say that for extended warranty there would be 2 month/3000 mile (whichever first) leeway in the service schedule to maintain the extended warranty.

I am unsure of the first date of problems with the Original posters rx450h, but if it was prior to 20/3/21 (14 months after Battery test) a good argument should be put forward for Battery warranty to have the same conditions as extended warranty?

5 hours ago, bigglesfllesundone said:

This thread. In pistonheads 

https://www.pistonheads.com/gassing/topic.asp?h=0&f=&t=1874559

appears to say that for extended warranty there would be 2 month/3000 mile (whichever first) leeway in the service schedule to maintain the extended warranty.

I am unsure of the first date of problems with the Original posters rx450h, but if it was prior to 20/3/21 (14 months after battery test) a good argument should be put forward for battery warranty to have the same conditions as extended warranty?

That is wrong.

Current T&Cs for extended warranty service interval leeway is 30 days/2,000 miles. There is no leeway on a HHC as you never need a service part way through the warranty period - you get 12 month/10k miles warranty and at the end you get another one with a new HHC - although I'm sure Lexus could provide a goodwill gesture if you kept within 30 days and attempted to book a service before and couldn't get availability at your local dealer.

HHC cover isn't applicable here if the Battery has been damaged by something external (e.g. water). If water ingress is due to a fault with the vehicle then a valid warranty on the failed part would be required (e.g. an extended vehicle warranty).

15 hours ago, Raj Thukral said:

Mandy

have you made some progress. Perhaps you can share to help me in making an informed decision too.

best 

Not yet. Will keep you updated.

cheers.

• 3 weeks later...

Interestingly he did but I think he had an issue in getting it to me however, It's a shame because I could have sorted that out quite quickly - I've seen this many times before & also, in conjunction with a well respected tech company, I have just put together our multi channel machine that is fully programmable from windows, I have been testing it in my workshop & building the programmes up for it over the last year or so I guess, it's up & running & doing a great job too I must say so I could of breathed a fair bit of life back into it for him as well as repaired the original faults he had? Never mind.

• Like 3

27 minutes ago, hybridbatterysolutions said:

Interestingly he did but I think he had an issue in getting it to me however, It's a shame because I could have sorted that out quite quickly - I've seen this many times before & also, in conjunction with a well respected tech company, I have just put together our multi channel machine that is fully programmable from windows, I have been testing it in my workshop & building the programmes up for it over the last year or so I guess, it's up & running & doing a great job too I must say so I could of breathed a fair bit of life back into it for him as well as repaired the original faults he had? Never mind.

Just keep appearing on here from time to time Rich so as to raise your profile with the wider membership. Yours is a growing market given the progress being made towards electrification by the big motor companies. More people will turn to Lexus INTERNAL COMBUSTION ENGINES.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, hybridbatterysolutions said:

Yes I will try to do that, I've been so busy with the machine & other non-car related stuff that I haven't had many chances to sit down with the net 😂 Good to see you!

Do you know of any company in Spain able to do Battery restauration? Not that I need it now, car still not 5 years old, but Lexus service here is non-existing so good to be prepared.

On 5/16/2021 at 5:25 PM, hybridbatterysolutions said:

II have just put together our multi channel machine that is fully programmable from windows, I have been testing it in my workshop & building the programmes up for it over the last year or so I guess, it's up & running & doing a great job too I must say so I could of breathed a fair bit of life back into it

This sounds very interesting. Does your wonderful machine recondition the individual cells? And you need many programmes because different cells can be in different conditions?

As the individual cells are contained (in this case) within a 6 cell module & aligned in a shared housing it will apply whatever I programme it to apply to each individual module on its own or as part of a group (small or large) of modules of my choosing.

I have designed many different programmes for different models & different circumstances each programme suits different timescales & budgets you see both are crucial & inextricably linked. 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
14 minutes ago, hybridbatterysolutions said:

Yes, it gets in through failed gaskets between the body shell & the rear light clusters and also the tailgate seal. 

Thanks for the info. Would checking the boot floor under the covers sufficient to spot this? Or else how to check if the Battery is reasonably isolated from the water ingress?

You will usually see where it has been running down either side, every time I have seen it of course I've already got the rear seats out and the carpet up so?

There's a hardboard flap that lifts up behind the rear seats which will expose a metal plate (black) with a series of @100mm holes in it if you poke a torch down looking towards the sides you may see it.

Can I ask how you know me? I don't recall chatting with you before?

1 hour ago, hybridbatterysolutions said:

You will usually see where it has been running down either side, every time I have seen it of course I've already got the rear seats out and the carpet up so?

There's a hardboard flap that lifts up behind the rear seats which will expose a metal plate (black) with a series of @100mm holes in it if you poke a torch down looking towards the sides you may see it.

Can I ask how you know me? I don't recall chatting with you before?

We haven’t chatted before. Thanks for the information, it seems like a long way for the water to get in from the boot seal and lights cluster. But with water you never know. In my experience the roof bar mounting points can sometimes be a culprit for water leaks (previous experience with a different make) and that is where I would look first.