Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Two items flagged for attention - what symptoms would they give?

My RX400H (12 years old now) has been a brilliant car but is now probably worth less than the repairs that are being suggested.

Item 1 is a rear ride height sensor that was seized and the techie freed it off but says it should be replaced (£600 😱).  Should I have noticed any symptoms?, and is there a cheaper replacement?

Second matter flagged is corroding fuel filler pipes which hasn't been priced .... but I seem to remember that aftermarket suppliers may have a fix for this?  Was it some kind of plastic tube insert? 

Thanks

Mike

You don't say which side the ride height sensor is for but there's a whole complete brand new one for the left side at £78 here on eBay.

Given that it's usually either the adjustable bar or the electronic sensor itself that gives the problem, I'm sure you could dismantle these and use them on the right-hand side if that's where you need them. If not, you can buy each item separately also on eBay.

No idea about the fuel pipes, sorry.

• Like 2

Might be worth a second opinion, I had an MOT advisory once for "corroded fuel pipes" and when I took it to Toyotec I was informed that it was just a tiny bit of surface rust on one part of the system that was no problem at all and shouldn't have been an advisory. I did nothing to correct it and it was not mentioned again in the two subsequent MOTs I had done somewhere else.

• Like 2

On 4/14/2021 at 10:20 AM, mikesands said:

My RX400H (12 years old now) has been a brilliant car but is now probably worth less than the repairs that are being suggested.

Item 1 is a rear ride height sensor that was seized and the techie freed it off but says it should be replaced (£600 😱).  Should I have noticed any symptoms?, and is there a cheaper replacement?

Second matter flagged is corroding fuel filler pipes which hasn't been priced .... but I seem to remember that aftermarket suppliers may have a fix for this?  Was it some kind of plastic tube insert? 

Thanks

Mike

AFS rear height sensor. £50 easy job. RX400H good ground clearance. Bought item from eBay and got busy spannering under car. Then I hammerited the thing. I hammerite everything 

not heard of point 2

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, Greisingel said:

AFS rear height sensor. £50 easy job. RX400H good ground clearance. Bought item from eBay and got busy spannering under car. Then I hammerited the thing. I hammerite everything 

not heard of point 2

Thanks - could you explain a couple of things.  Is AFS the make?  Do you mean I don't need to bother about the sensor as the RX400H has good ground clearance?  If you have a link on eBay I'd really appreciate it thanks.  And yes I also Hammerite everything on my motorbikes once they start rusting.

Mike

2 hours ago, mikesands said:

Thanks - could you explain a couple of things.  Is AFS the make?  Do you mean I don't need to bother about the sensor as the RX400H has good ground clearance?  If you have a link on ebay I'd really appreciate it thanks.  And yes I also Hammerite everything on my motorbikes once they start rusting.

Mike

http://www.japan-parts.eu/lexus/gr/2005/rx400h/mhu38r-awxgkw/4_524210_002_309W/electrical/8418_electronic-height-control#89407A

The height control unit fits to the rear axle.

35460304-9DF7-4E94-8D67-7FEF985B22F2.jpeg

• Like 1

Mike, youre in luck

I think this just happens to be in debate now – always the way – we get a flurry of same-type problems like London buses. Or better, lighting strikes on the gold course?

• Like 1

• 5 months later...

Just following up on this - I've ordered the sensor from China, but am nervous that it's really the mechanical arm that is so corroded that the dealership only managed a temporary bodge.  Anyone know where I can buy the arm at a reasonable price?

Thanks

Mike

• 2 weeks later...