Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

My apologies if this has been covered, but my search did not find an answer for me.

My car, 1994 LS400.

Since the past year of lock downs etc, I have worked from home, with the odd days going to work once per week. Most of the time I use my bike weather permitting. When it's bad I take the car. 

However, when the car has stood for more than 2 weeks, maybe 3 or 4 then the Battery has no power to start the car. So I take it off and charge it, after that everything is good. (Battery is an Varta blue G7 and I have checked it when charged and it is in good condition). I do have a few extra electronic accessories on the car.

Now to the point. My question.

I have no problem charging the car when needed, but what I would like to know, does it do any harm if I charge (Trickle from smart charger) the Battery without disconnecting it from the car. At this time, I take the Battery off and charge it inside. But it is a bit of a pain having to retune all the radio stations, the clock etc.

I also don't know what this does to the gearbox learning and ECU. as at this time, each time I use the car, it is with a theoretically fresh fitted Battery

1 hour ago, Herbie said:

As long as you're using a smart charger, and you say that you are, then charging in situ will be fine.

Thank you.

Yes, I have a Bosch smart charger that can trickle charge and keep Battery topped up during storage, so my plan is to once a week (weekends) to connect it for a day or 2)

such a glorious car .......  just take her out for a spin once a week to mainly keep the cobwebs at bay and everything tickety-boo :wink3:

Malc

Mine has been wired to a Smart charger since May 2020.
Since it's only getting driven once or twice a week and those are mostly short trips, it needed it.
No problems since I started using the Smart charger.

I ran wires (+ve wire fused at 10A) from the Battery to a connector that I cable tied to the centre support behind the grille.
I just have to lift the bonnet and plug or unplug it. I also fitted a "weak link" (2 connectors held together with insulating tape) so that if I do forget and drive off without disconnecting it, I won't short out the Battery or the charger.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links