Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Hello F-ers, prepare for a laugh on me ๐Ÿ˜„

I ordered new discs all around and upgrading rear pads to some EBC reds after being suitably impressed with the fronts. The discs arrived this week and I had allocated today to swap all the discs and rear pads out.

Has been a while since I DIY'd anything car related and the last thing I worked on was my LS400 in Dec/ Jan. So please enjoy the timeline below of epic failures! All comments and jibes welcome, aside my knuckle and ego, no major damage...

Jacked the car up, forgot to loosen wheel nuts first (idiot). For love nor money could then not find correct socket size (20 mins wasted)

Had a cuppa tea to calm down...

Got caliper bolts off without issue, knocked the pins out the caliper and removed old brake pads, winning!

Gently tapped the disc with a mallet to 'persuade off', didn't budge. Forgot to take parking brake off (idiot x2), faffed around with auto handbrake feature as it kept putting it back on. Finally got it off and removed disc without issue. Somehow between taking old disc off and getting new disc out the box, handbrake re-engaged???

Now here's the topping to my crappy cake, with absolutely no thought to check anything, jumped in the car put my foot on the brake to start car and release handbrake, heard a big pop sound (ahhh ****) - I did not put anything inside the caliper I had taken off to stop pistons pushing out (pop sound), with fluid now weeing onto the floor and a caliper piston somehow caught by rear suspension components, I have a bigger problem... (idiot x3).

Luckily no damage to piston or caliper, but to get the piston back into the caliper have to remove the 'dust shield' - watched a quick youtube video and it looked liked the easiest thing ever (wrong!), begin fight of my life - more tea required. Did not have any suitable tools so phoned a local friend who is an mobile autotec 'please help me', followed by mutual laughing were our first exchanged words before me explaining I'm an idiot (x4)

20 mins later my saviour arrived! He had a little pick tool that persuaded the dust shield out, eureka effortless... oh no **** I've poked a hole through it (idiot x5)

So I have ordered a new one, 24H delivery and will have time to fit it on the weekend. Ordered two in case I **** up putting it back together (based on todays antics)

ยฃ30 later, several cups of tea, swear words and a shiner on the very point of my knuckle from trying to 'persuade' too vigourously, I can now type this out and have a good old laugh at myself for being... such an idiot (x6!) ๐Ÿ™‚

ย 

• Like 2
  • Haha 4
  • Sad 3

44 minutes ago, hockeyedwards said:

Now here's the topping to my crappy cake, with absolutely no thought to check anything, jumped in the car put my foot on the brake to start car and release handbrake, heard a big pop sound (ahhh ****) - I did not put anything inside the caliper I had taken off to stop pistons pushing out (pop sound), with fluid now weeing onto the floor and a caliper piston somehow caught by rear suspension components, I have a bigger problem... (idiot x3).

It was at this point I put my hand over my mouth.

We've all done daft stuff. I have a habit of forgetting I've chocked the rear wheels when I've had a car up on ramps. I've spat the ramps out from under the front more than once.

Once forgot to tighten the wheel nuts up on a Beetle after I'd nipped up the drums too. Got about 500 yards before the wheel came off.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, rich1068 said:

It was at this point I put my hand over my mouth.

We've all done daft stuff. I have a habit of forgetting I've chocked the rear wheels when I've had a car up on ramps. I've spat the ramps out from under the front more than once.

Once forgot to tighten the wheel nuts up on a Beetle after I'd nipped up the drums too. Got about 500 yards before the wheel came off.

I've done plenty of minor absent minded things when chatting and repairing/ working on cars, but this is well and truly up there with the all time f-ups, going to blame it on having turned 30!ย ๐Ÿ˜†

• Like 1

3 hours ago, hockeyedwards said:

Hello F-ers, prepare for a laugh on me ๐Ÿ˜„

I ordered new discs all around and upgrading rear pads to some EBC reds after being suitably impressed with the fronts. The discs arrived this week and I had allocated today to swap all the discs and rear pads out.

Has been a while since I DIY'd anything car related and the last thing I worked on was my LS400 in Dec/ Jan. So please enjoy the timeline below of epic failures! All comments and jibes welcome, aside my knuckle and ego, no major damage...

Jacked the car up, forgot to loosen wheel nuts first (idiot). For love nor money could then not find correct socket size (20 mins wasted)

Had a cuppa tea to calm down...

Got caliper bolts off without issue, knocked the pins out the caliper and removed old brake pads, winning!

Gently tapped the disc with a mallet to 'persuade off', didn't budge. Forgot to take parking brake off (idiot x2), faffed around with auto handbrake feature as it kept putting it back on. Finally got it off and removed disc without issue. Somehow between taking old disc off and getting new disc out the box, handbrake re-engaged???

Luckily no damage to piston or caliper, but to get the piston back into the caliper have to remove the 'dust shield' - watched a quick youtube video and it looked liked the easiest thing ever (wrong!), begin fight of my life - more tea required. Did not have any suitable tools so phoned a local friend who is an mobile autotec 'please help me', followed by mutual laughing were our first exchanged words before me explaining I'm an idiot (x4)

20 mins later my saviour arrived! He had a little pick tool that persuaded the dust shield out, eureka effortless... oh no **** I've poked a hole through it (idiot x5)

So I have ordered a new one, 24H delivery and will have time to fit it on the weekend. Ordered two in case I **** up putting it back together (based on todays antics)

ยฃ30 later, several cups of tea, swear words and a shiner on the very point of my knuckle from trying to 'persuade' too vigourously, I can now type this out and have a good old laugh at myself for being... such an idiot (x6!) ๐Ÿ™‚

ย 

It's called character building ๐Ÿ˜Ž

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
56 minutes ago, Phil xxkr said:

It's called character building ๐Ÿ˜Ž

Exactly, I've learned how to service brake calipers now ๐Ÿ˜„

Oh my, what a day!

For anyone else reading this, there is a manual handbrake release mechanism in the boot of the car.

• Like 1
15 hours ago, Exdee said:

Oh my, what a day!

For anyone else reading this, there is a manual handbrake release mechanism in the boot of the car.

FML really? ๐Ÿ˜†๐Ÿ˜„

Glad you got sorted, sounds like one of those days where you wish in hindsight that you hadnt botheredย ๐Ÿ˜‚

• Haha 1
10 minutes ago, scott-o said:

Glad you got sorted, sounds like one of those days where you wish in hindsight that you hadnt botheredย ๐Ÿ˜‚

Ah, Hindsight, the only precise science there is ๐Ÿง‘โ€๐ŸŽ“

• Like 1

I posted in the LS forum a week or so back when I replaced my front pads and managed to put the nearside inner pad back with the shim to the disc. Took it out to road test and immediately noticed the noise, must be a bit of rust catching apply the brakesย few times, still catching so back home. Remove wheel again to discover mistake...fortunately no damage to shim or disc.

Ha that is a baller of a day. But glad you got there in the end.

Auto handbrake? Is this GSF only? (I still have a 3rd pedal on the RCF).