Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Hello! I have a '99 LS400 and its lovely! However I have a Battery drain issue that it's going into the garage for tomorrow. If I can get it there!

The immediate issue is how to start the thing! Battery is stony flat after 3 days no use, new Battery last Aug. Not just lazy cranks, totally dead, everything. Now I have a booster pack, engine turns fine when that's on but doesn't start because the immobiliser stops it.

So I follow the procedure, leave the key turned to the 'ON' position for six minutes. I have to leave the Battery booster on as otherwise the ECU will die. Once six minutes have elapsed, booster is out of charge so can't start the engine! And it's a Noco Boost Plus GB40 so it's not a rubbish one.

Taking the Battery off to charge is not an option.

Any ideas? Plus it is the 'ON' position for six minutes, is it not??

Your profile says that you also have an SC430 so take the Battery off that (or use jump leads) to start the LS?

• Like 1

Great idea, sadly it's in the garage in Brighton having a new exhaust and coilovers fitted ๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‚

I do have my RX400h but I know I can't jump from that

31 minutes ago, Davey Blueeyes said:

Great idea, sadly it's in the garage in Brighton having a new exhaust and coilovers fitted ๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‚

I do have my RX400h but I know I can't jump from that

You could if you either take the Battery out or just disconnect it from the car before using it to jump the other one.

The problem potentially arises if the recipient car attempts to draw too much current from the hybrid's DC/DC converter but if the hybrid system is off or the Battery is completely disconnected from the hybrid, that's fine.

• Like 1

I might give that a go, thanks Herbie.

Am I right in thinking that leaving the key in the 'on' position for 6 minutes is the correct procedure for this?

Just now, Davey Blueeyes said:

I might give that a go, thanks Herbie.

Am I right in thinking that leaving the key in the 'on' position for 6 minutes is the correct procedure for this?

I've never personally done that David so I'm not sure. I can't really see what benefit it would give, to be honest.

I can see a use for leaving the donor Battery connected to the flat one for 5 or 10 minutes. That would give the flat one some charge of its own first, so that the alternator doesn't have to work absolutely flat out as soon as the engine fires, but I just don't see any advantage in having the key in the 'on' position.

33 minutes ago, Davey Blueeyes said:

If your vehicle has lost its immobiliser programming then it will learn the key in the lock after around 6 minutes. You don't need to do it if the security light goes out when you put the key in the ignition. If it remains on/flashing then the immobiliser is still active and therefore the vehicle won't start.

• Like 2
4 hours ago, ColinBarber said:

If your vehicle has lost its immobiliser programming then it will learn the key in the lock after around 6 minutes. You don't need to do it if the security light goes out when you put the key in the ignition. If it remains on/flashing then the immobiliser is still active and therefore the vehicle won't start.

Yes, mine loses the coding when the Battery goes flat. I can't remember the exact procedure but I'm sure it involves turning the key to on and leave for 6 minutes.

The annoying thing is my booster pack is flat at about 5 mins and 40 seconds ๐Ÿ™‚

ย 

Sounds like your Battery needs replacing - possibly has a short in it if it is going flat that quickly unless there is a substantial drain elsewhere. I think you are going to need a reasonable sized lead acid Battery to jump from - if your Battery is that flat anyย small booster pack will be drained charging your Battery if you have to leave on forย 6 minutes.

• Like 2