Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Second car after Lexus.

Hadrian

We are keeping our IS300h for the foreseeable future, but are about to change our Ford Bmax for a new Yaris,

as this is the type my wife is learning to drive on.  Does anyone here have a Yaris as a second car ?, if so what do you

think of it.    Sorry if this is off topic, but from my point of view, our Lexus and the new Yaris are both hybrids, and bought

from the same dealer.

55 minutes ago, Hadrian said:

We are keeping our IS300h for the foreseeable future, but are about to change our Ford Bmax for a new Yaris,

as this is the type my wife is learning to drive on.  Does anyone here have a Yaris as a second car ?, if so what do you

think of it.    Sorry if this is off topic, but from my point of view, our Lexus and the new Yaris are both hybrids, and bought

from the same dealer.

^^ I don’t but my brother does. He’s had it about a year, maybe eighteen months, bought new and absolutely loves it. His is a second car too, but he says it always puts a smile on his face and that he really enjoys how nimble it is.

Unfortunately I can’t remember which model it is, but I can remember that it’s white! Not sure that helps much, and probably not a great admission on a public car forum but there you go...😆

• Haha 1

I have one, but it is not a Hybrid second car. It is reg in 2011 and is outstanding.

We bought the first generation in 2000 and it lasted for 12 years when we gave it to our eldest daughtter. It gave us no trouble at all.

Our friend has a Hybrid Yaris and is delighted with it.

They are brilliant cars. Enjoy.

• Like 1

On the Italian forum for hybrids (hybrid synergy forum) many owners of the new Yaris are complaining that the GPF is often blocked while driving in the city and at low speed, this causes ICE not switching off with increase in fuel consumption. It seems that after many complaints Toyota is investigating the problem.  

My son is about to be gifted a three year old Hybrid Yaris in June from his grandfather who has sensibly agreed to give up driving. A voluntary decision at the age of 85. Ex traffic cop.

I think the boy is very happy with the decision!

• Like 3

23 minutes ago, Mossypossy said:

My son is about to be gifted a three year old Hybrid Yaris in June from his grandfather who has sensibly agreed to give up driving. A voluntary decision at the age of 85. Ex traffic cop.

A wonderful story. Steve.

32 minutes ago, Mossypossy said:

I took my 81 year old mother for her second Covid jab this morning. It was clearly "Jab the Oldies" day today and had I worked for the DVLA or Police, I would have confiscated the licences of more than one of the drivers trying woefully to navigate the traffic and parking areas at the vaccination centre. My NCB flashed before my eyes on more than one occasion....

2 hours ago, serbarry said:

On the Italian forum for hybrids (hybrid synergy forum) many owners of the new Yaris are complaining that the GPF is often blocked while driving in the city and at low speed, this causes ICE not switching off with increase in fuel consumption. It seems that after many complaints Toyota is investigating the problem.  

I think this applies to the older 1.6 GR sport version  ?

39 minutes ago, Mincey said:

I took my 81 year old mother for her second Covid jab this morning. It was clearly "Jab the Oldies" day today and had I worked for the DVLA or Police, I would have confiscated the licences of more than one of the drivers trying woefully to navigate the traffic and parking areas at the vaccination centre. My NCB flashed before my eyes on more than one occasion....

It took some effort on my part to get my (now departed) father to stop driving, even to the point of contacting the DVLA.  It's a wrench as it takes away independence.  It'll come to us all one day.  😒

• Like 3

41 minutes ago, Mincey said:

Be ever so careful James what you were witnessing was your future ?

I`ve now had both jabs, so should I stop driving too  ?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Hadrian said:

I think this applies to the older 1.6 GR sport version  ?

No, they are all owners of the new hybrid Yaris. It would not be a topic for that forum if it was not hybrid.  

3 hours ago, royoftherovers said:

Be ever so careful James what you were witnessing was your future ?

I`ve now had both jabs, so should I stop driving too  ?

No of course not John. You are of course right. I wish to retract my earlier, rather hastily-made post.

• Like 2

It takes a brave chap to surrender his car.

I know for a fact I started to feel decidedly worried for other road users when my dad was at the wheel of his Landrover just prior to him giving up driving at about 84. I was a passenger and he was not the same driver that he used to be.

My father who was then about 90yrs old, was told he had to go for a driving assessment.  This was at the driving test centre in Kings Lynn.

It amounted to a driving test, with the examiner testing on various aspects of his driving.   With tick boxes in columns A B C D. I  went along as well.

Most of the boxes were ticked in the C column and one in the D. He was obviously nervous, and he frightened me a couple of times.

He couldn't understand it when he had a letter advising him to stop driving.  Thankfully he did, and got himself an electric buggy.

When my father told me he had gone the wrong way around a roundabout, I managed to convince him that it was time to surrender his keys, which luckily he did.

4 hours ago, Mincey said:

When my father told me he had gone the wrong way around a roundabout, I managed to convince him that it was time to surrender his keys, which luckily he did.

Not a difficult task James. I did it once.....in Spain !

12 minutes ago, royoftherovers said:

Not a difficult task James. I did it once.....in Spain !

Sadly this was a roundabout he'd been round pretty much every day for the past 50 years.... 😉

• Like 1

Oh my ...  will my Ls400 last me another 15 / 20 years then I wonder :unsure:

When I lived way out in the country in Kent a few years back I witnessed an elderly sage driving his even then ancient Ford Fiesta around the country lanes ............  he could hardly see over the steering wheel ...  guess he had shrunk over the years too .......  thought he was maybe out on his last jaunt ( very slowly ) around his patch before giving up ........ never did see him again ............

AND I thought at the time ..........  there's goes me one day but oh so far into the future ...  that was then, maybe not so far out these days methinks 😵

Malc

anyway our second car is a brilliant 56 plate Honda Legend ....  some 7.6 ltrs between us :yahoo:......  lots of HP ; horses eh !

On 4/16/2021 at 9:47 AM, Mincey said:

Oh boy. I remember this. In a car with my brother in law’s elderly father. He came to a roundabout and he asked me which way to. I said right. And he did exactly that, he turned right. Then he blamed me. I knew his time to stop driving had come too.

Been through it with my own mother. We had to encourage her to give up over a period of time.

As others have said above, it does take away independence and it is a massive step and one to be handled with sensitivity and care. It will come to all of us and I’m sure it will be horrible when it does.

• Like 1

lol from advice on a yaris to when ones elderly family give up driving. Yaris. I had one for a day when my car went in for paint correct. Well impressed and enjoyable to drive. A step daughter has one infant it's her 2nd one. Loves them.

My Dad got his insurance reminder. A zillion years ncb etc etc. £500 it was for a 13yr old Austin Metro. He only drove about 600 miles a year. He thought sod that I'm not paying that and gave up there and then. Thank feck I thought as he really was a terrible driver god rest his soul.

• Like 1