Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

How do I deal with stone chips?

Herbie

I noticed a couple of stone chips on the bonnet recently. The first photo is the left side of the bonnet, second photo is the right side.

What's the best way of dealing with this?

bonnet-left.thumb.jpg.fd4d50ecb441539505542bb2cea1ed28.jpg

bonnet-right.thumb.jpg.4191fd6128a200f90e89891511d69ddb.jpg

My go to is usually a coloured Sharpie but I'd guess your RX didn't cost 1500 quid and look like it was dragged through a hedge backwards :ohmy: But they are precise and last well.

But I'm guessing you'd want a touch up? Never been that impressed with the Lexus kits even if the colours are available so I've bought a few from Paints4U based in Grimsby I believe. They'll do anything with the paint code and for about a tenner you get paint, lacquer and best of all 3 or 4 double ended very narrow applicators rather than a brush. Like a very paired down cotton bud. Perfect for chips. Most recently for the LS. Moonstone Pearl unavailable from Lexus but Paints4U found it from the paint code as a Toyota colour.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Lexus touch up kit, but use either a cocktail stick or one of those tiny square ended things women use for make-up application (my detailer put me onto them!) rather than the supplied brush, as it is too big imho.

Make sure you just fill the chip, slightly proud of the surrounding area, then take off any excess with your fingernail and polish down once hardened.

The cap of the Lexus touch-up kit, moistened, works well as per the instructions. You’ll never get it perfect, but good enough if you’re careful and take your time.

Good luck!

• Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...

HI Herbie,

Lexus touch up kits are a must - Mica Red is a beautiful colour unmatched by no Dulux. You can find your exact paint code on a sticker found on the front passenger side door sill. I've ordered mine from our trusted Swindon friends.

I've used cocktail sticks before however found myself a little inaccurate in deployment. After watching AmmoNYC videos I started using this Loew-Cornell Fine Line Painting Pen. You have to get the technique right but once you do it's small potatoes.

Use IPA to prep your surface (3M VHB Tape prep is 90% IPA and its price didn't skyrocket during the pandemic), then dab the colour until you have covered all primed/bare metal, cure for at least 12hrs (keep out of sunlight & rain) then apply clear on top. Wet sanding is my last step before it's ready for handover, but if you're not comfortable enough you can always be precise enough with the clear coat to apply a nice finish that won't require any more attention.

If you feel like the chips have persisted a long time and rust may have developed, it may require rust treatment before painting. Something Bilt Hamber's Hydrate is good for.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 4/15/2021 at 3:24 PM, Herbie said:

I noticed a couple of stone chips on the bonnet recently. The first photo is the left side of the bonnet, second photo is the right side.

What's the best way of dealing with this?

bonnet-left.thumb.jpg.fd4d50ecb441539505542bb2cea1ed28.jpg

bonnet-right.thumb.jpg.4191fd6128a200f90e89891511d69ddb.jpg

If it was me, I'd be less worried about the stone chips than about those big yellow circles someone's drawn on the bonnet with a marker pen. Not so much because it looks unsightly but because someone's obviously put them there in preparation so that they can be seen from the missile launching drone.

• Like 1
  • Haha 4