Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

NX - Amongst the top 5 cars likely to pass the MOT first time

On 4/17/2021 at 12:08 AM, Dylanlewis2000 said:

The problem with these type of surveys is that they don’t take into account how many of each type of car is sold. I can’t imagine there’s too many i8s out there. 

I am not sure I understand your reasoning on the basis that the figures provided are percentages, which surely provide a fair representation. What would be an alternative?

7 hours ago, DanD said:

I am not sure I understand your reasoning on the basis that the figures provided are percentages, which surely provide a fair representation. What would be an alternative?

What I meant was it would be better to have the sample size next to the figures. If the sample was made from BMW i8 was based on 100 cars, yet the Hyundai was based on 1000 cars, it would indicate a more reliable sample size. Having more cars out there, you would assume more faults as there's more of them to go wrong. 

The trouble with findings like this is that it does not include customer neglect. How many fail with tyres/ lights/ wipers etc? Take those out of the equation and you would get a better picture of vehicle reliability.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Grumps said:

The trouble with findings like this is that it does not include customer neglect. How many fail with tyres/ lights/ wipers etc? Take those out of the equation and you would get a better picture of vehicle reliability.

Valid points of course. I shudder at the way some of my friends and family members treat their cars. They rely on someone or something on the car telling them that they have a problem. No regular visual checks, no checking of oil levels, tyre pressures, lights, nothing.

• Like 2