Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Windscreen Chip Repair Effectiveness

Hi All

I got a chip today, the first in my years of motoring. A fairly deep one, and seems to have some sort of a crack (can see from the inside, but cannot feel on the inside).

How effective are chip repairs? Do they sort it for good, or is it likely to cause issues or resurface later?

After the horror stories here about windscreen replacement and the botch jobs others have been given, I'm hoping it doesn't end up coming to this.

Thanks

• Sad 1

4 hours ago, Superduner said:

If you get it repaired quickly, then they are pretty good.  Once the crack is more than about 2cm, you are looking at a new screen.

Thanks @Superduner

Thanks @Dixgas. Bottom right of windscreen. It's up for debate if it's in the vision area.

Next question, should I go via my insurer for a chip (£10 excess, sadly £75 for replacement), or just pay for it?

I appreciate all insurers are different but does anyone have any experience of a chip impacting their premiums?

28 minutes ago, matt8 said:

I appreciate all insurers are different but does anyone have any experience of a chip impacting their premiums?

In my experience it doesn't make a difference (possibly if it becomes a regular occurrence). They are grateful to get a repair rather than the cost of a screen replacement.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, matt8 said:

Thanks @Dixgas. Bottom right of windscreen. It's up for debate if it's in the vision area.

Next question, should I go via my insurer for a chip (£10 excess, sadly £75 for replacement), or just pay for it?

It absolutely does. If you go via insurance it will count as "accident", so depending on how much you pay for insurance expect 10-30% hike next year.

It does not impact NCB, but it is still an "accident". For example I never had accident where I was at fault, but when I got new car insurance decided to check accident history which they never did before and raised my insurance by £400. When I started arguing about it they said "no matter whose fault it was or if it impacted NCB, you have to declare all accidents you had", and when we discussed the accidents windscreen replacement was one as well.

Insurance is legalised fraud - don't expect much, they will take last penny out of you if they can.

• Thanks 1

I agree Insurers generally use any excuse to bump up premiums but some are a little more flexible than others  and this includes not penalizing you for a broken windscreen, although it should be reported if you are required by the terms to do, even if you pay for it.  Some years ago I received a NIP for doing 36mph in a 30 limit.  I was told that the NIP would be cancelled if I attended a Driver Awareness Course.  I asked a couple of insurers whether I was required to disclose this on renewing my insurance.  One said yes and the other no, the latter on the basis that I had not been found guilty and the NIP had been withdrawn when I attended the course.

So if anything is unclear, I would contact my Insurer directly and ask for an opinion regarding a claim for a replacement windscreen as in this case, you could even do it anomalously.   

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, matt8 said:

£75 thats cheap.. My excess was £100 (Esure) However the "bullet hole" I got was huge so it had to be replaced. Since insurance next year is going to skin me, I requested for every possible part genuine. It finally got approved. So I got the new windscreen, drip trims (the ones the side) and new clips. However I did ask for the genuine rain sensor pad and they didn't supply one. Autoglass was going to use theirs but in my tool chest I have the genuine Lexus one so I fitted that.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Barry14UK said:

I agree Insurers generally use any excuse to bump up premiums but some are a little more flexible than others  and this includes not penalizing you for a broken windscreen, although it should be reported if you are required by the terms to do, even if you pay for it.  Some years ago I received a NIP for doing 36mph in a 30 limit.  I was told that the NIP would be cancelled if I attended a Driver Awareness Course.  I asked a couple of insurers whether I was required to disclose this on renewing my insurance.  One said yes and the other no, the latter on the basis that I had not been found guilty and the NIP had been withdrawn when I attended the course.

So if anything is unclear, I would contact my Insurer directly and ask for an opinion regarding a claim for a replacement windscreen as in this case, you could even do it anomalously.   

That is slightly besides the point - what I am saying is that insurance companies consider windscreen damage as accident, same like somebody would rear-end you at the traffic lights. It is non-fault and wont impact NCB, but it will increase the premium next year same as any other accident.

If you don't want to claim I would advise not to disclose the damage to insurance company, I made such mistake in the past - some **** change the lane, scratched my bumper and run away. It was not worthy to claim it from insurance as my excess was £1000 and the scratch was £250 to fix. However, because it was hit and run I reported it to police, police asked insurance reference number, so like "good citizen" I made moronic mistake and declared it to insurance as "notification only" - guess what it came back to bite me in the ***** next year when my insurance premium went-up.

Regarding SAC, you most definitely should not declare that to insurance, they have no legal right to ask you to. In fact they have no legal right to ask you anything as insurance policy is not a matter of civil law, but a matter of contract law - any disclosures you make are made based on your "good will". The only difference is whenever what you say could be checked or can't be checked. Same like you can put your occupation as Priest if you wanted to - they have no legal right to ask you, but they still do. When you actually get points sadly you have to disclose it - not because they have a legal right to ask, but because DVLA will gladly provide such information for corporations making money out of you. 

What I am saying - if you don't disclose SAC or your occupation, there is nothing insurance company can do about it and they have no other way to find out. However, if you don't disclose the points then they can check that in DVLA (and as unbelievable as it is DVLA will tell them) and will invalidate your policy.

5 hours ago, Linas.P said:

That is slightly besides the point - what I am saying is that insurance companies consider windscreen damage as accident, same like somebody would rear-end you at the traffic lights. It is non-fault and wont impact NCB, but it will increase the premium next year same as any other accident.

Well it says here that "

Does a windscreen claim effect your renewal premium?

The majority of insurers won't increase your renewal premium if you make a claim for a windscreen repair or replacement. Just remember that there's always an exception to every rule and you might be the unlucky exception." From https://www.claimscore.co.uk/guides/24/motor-insurance/439/making-windscreen-claim-affect-premium

Incidentally, there are many threads on the net where Admiral are mentioned as being the exception in taking a DAC as in effect a conviction and increasing a quote because of it.

6 hours ago, Barry14UK said:

Incidentally, there are many threads on the net where Admiral are mentioned as being the exception in taking a DAC as in effect a conviction and increasing a quote because of it.

Some of the DAC instructors explicitly mention Admiral group with a conclusion that you should take your business elsewhere. If anything you should get a discount having gone through a driving refresher course and are probably more aware as a result.

10 hours ago, Barry14UK said:

Well it says here that "

Does a windscreen claim effect your renewal premium?

The majority of insurers won't increase your renewal premium if you make a claim for a windscreen repair or replacement. Just remember that there's always an exception to every rule and you might be the unlucky exception." From https://www.claimscore.co.uk/guides/24/motor-insurance/439/making-windscreen-claim-affect-premium

Not sure this is true. All insurers will take all previous claims into account. The questions they ask include have you had any claims regardless of fault within the last x years. Claiming for a windscreen repair would count as a claim and this would then be taken into account when the insurance company calculates the premium. Answering no to the question after having made a windscreen repair could invalidate the insurance if the insurance company finds out.

• Thanks 1

44 minutes ago, paulrnx said:

Not sure this is true. All insurers will take all previous claims into account. The questions they ask include have you had any claims regardless of fault within the last x years. Claiming for a windscreen repair would count as a claim and this would then be taken into account when the insurance company calculates the premium. Answering no to the question after having made a windscreen repair could invalidate the insurance if the insurance company finds out.

Exactly that as above.

I would further extended that even if you didn't claim, it still counts as accident. I had same discussion with insurance and they nearly declined my cover, which in itself would mean dead sentence for insuring anything in future. They find out that I have not declared 2 non-fault accidents, 1 was hit and run for which I didn't claim and second was windscreen replacement and where actually quite upset about it, then I argued that in comparison site it said "you have to declare all claims, but I have not claimed", they countered with "it does not matter what comparison site says, our T&C says any accidents regardless of who was at fault" - as result my insurance quote went-up by £400. This is Elephant (bell, admiral, diamond ... same gang of fraudsters). 

@Barry14UK So what claimscore says is nothing else but "opinion", quite flawed even at that. What you need to understand - insurance in UK follows no rules, they are the ones who makes the rules, they are the ones who enforces them - in short they can do anything they like. Some may not immanently hike your insurance, some other will.

I even had case with Esure, where they broken the contract because they had misleading description which was different between their T&C and description they sent to me when I signed-up. I have raised that with financial ombudsman and got the answer that "although they agree with my interpretation of the rules, it is outside of their jurisdiction to enforce... as it is contractual and not legal matter"... It is convenient when the only regulator in the industry has no jurisdiction... so they basically said...  I can sue Esure personally for breach of contract if I want. 

"but it will increase the premium next year same as any other accident." Not necessarily so! Suggest you read this from Direct Line.  Scroll down to 'Will repair affect your premium or no claim discount?'  I think they should know as Insurers the diversity in the industry  https://www.directline.com/car-cover/magazine/repairing-or-replacing-your-windscreen  There are also anecdotal accounts on a number of forums where a replaced windscreen has not resulted in an increase in premium at renewal and from more than one Insurer too.  

To be honest whatver happens my premium is going up regardless. Cat thefts round my area are plaguing the community so my postcode will be a hotspot anyway. Whatever the circumstances, insurance companies will have a "reason" to hike up the premium. I've never experienced a decrease in my premium yet despite shopping around and thats 4 years of Lexus ownership with 20 years + no claims and a clean licence etc. 😞

On 4/19/2021 at 11:15 PM, Barry14UK said:

"but it will increase the premium next year same as any other accident." Not necessarily so! Suggest you read this from Direct Line.  Scroll down to 'Will repair affect your premium or no claim discount?'  I think they should know as Insurers the diversity in the industry  https://www.directline.com/car-cover/magazine/repairing-or-replacing-your-windscreen  There are also anecdotal accounts on a number of forums where a replaced windscreen has not resulted in an increase in premium at renewal and from more than one Insurer too.  

That is only if you stay with Direct Line. If you go elsewhere it will affect your premium. Even with Direct Line, because there is no such thing as fixed published prices for insurance you have absolutely no idea what they have done to come up with their price. It’s all based on risk and your risk factor will have changed because you’d made a claim. Whatever their wording might say, you’ll pay more as a result of having made a claim.