Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Jump start from inside car?

Lexus UX has dead Battery. This may be due to ‘lockdown battery’, or may not.

Battery is in boot.

I have looked for a solution to be able to jump start car without opening bonnet, or boot. (Boot opening involves lowering seats, crawling into boot, using screwdriver to move a lever.)

(I think Herbie fitted sockets in RX dashboard to do this.)

noco appear to make a wire set with eyelets to leave permenantly attached to the Battery, these can be plugged into their jump start box, but the wires are very short and would not extend out of boot. They do not appear to make an extension set.

ctek make a mobile completely portable Battery charger (cos free) but it appears to only work if the Battery has >3V (mine had 0.13V) also again.

I imagine the amount of electricity needed to charge the Battery enough to start the vehicle is relatively small.

Please does anybody have a solution that does not involve opening bonnet or boot?

i want to reassure the usual driver of the car that if the car is dead, in a dark car park, they can safely start the car from within the car (after entering with mechanical key.)

Rather than having to open bonnet to jump start. If leads misconnected when jumping car in poor light or with anxious situation,it may fry the electrics (as discussed a while ago when emergency repair technician did this.

10 hours ago, bigglesfllesundone said:

i want to reassure the usual driver of the car that if the car is dead, in a dark car park, they can safely start the car from within the car (after entering with mechanical key.)

Rather than having to open bonnet to jump start. If leads misconnected when jumping car in poor light or with anxious situation,it may fry the electrics (as discussed a while ago when emergency repair technician did this.

If that could be done I wouldn't have gone to the trouble that I did to fit a jump start socket in the cabin.

I'm afraid that there are only three options:

1. connect jump leads to the Battery itself in the boot
  2. connect jump leads to the terminal post in the engine bay
  3. install a socket in the cabin like I did

EDIT: Since posting this, a fourth option has come to mind. You mention that Noco does an extension lead with eyelets on one end to leave permanently connected to the Battery, and a plug at the other end to plug into the Noco unit, but you said that it's too short and they don't make an extension lead.

Why not just cut that lead in half and put an extra piece of cable in the middle to create a longer lead?

The lead on the Noco is short because a jump start pack can deliver hundreds of amps and therefore the leads needs to be heavy gauge and short to reduce resistance. Given that for a hybrid the 'starting' current is very small you can extend those cables with something that can handle 30 A not 300 A and bring them into the cabin. If you do, you need to ensure that the cable is fused as close to the Battery as possible to avoid a short causing damage to the Battery and a fire hazard.

I was thinking of putting the smallest NOCO jumper unit in the glovebox and running a twin 12AWG fused line to the Battery though a double pole momentary push switch on the front of the glove box.

In the case of a low Battery, push the button, turn the NOCO on, and start the car (hopefully).

How does that sound for a summer project?

1 hour ago, Superduner said:

I was thinking of putting the smallest NOCO jumper unit in the glovebox and running a twin 12AWG fused line to the battery though a double pole momentary push switch on the front of the glove box.

In the case of a low battery, push the button, turn the NOCO on, and start the car (hopefully).

How does that sound for a summer project?

A couple of things:

• If the Battery pack will be at the front of the car it makes more sense to run the wiring to the jump start terminal in the engine bay fuse box, as it'll be an easier run
  • Unless you're going to use one hand to push the 'momentary' switch and the other hand to push the Start button/turn the key, you'll be better off with a 'normal' on/off switch

EDIT: Ignore my first point - just noticed that you have a 400h, not a 450, so the Battery is up front, not in the boot.

2 hours ago, Superduner said:

The reason for the momentary button would be so I don't accidentally leave it on.  I'm not sure how the car and the NOCO would behave if they were left connected.

Fair enough, just seemed that it would be a bit awkward using both hands at once.

I don't think they would play well together because the Noco would effectively always be on charge. When I did mine I put a diode in the positive lead so that current could go from the Battery pack to the car but not the other way round.

5 minutes ago, Superduner said:

In France?

I thought the AA still run an operation in France for their policyholders? (Theyt certainly used to - unless it's been a victim of Brexit?)