Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Thanks guys.....

yeah they are a good make I have a two ton jack of theirs it just wouldn't go under the front bumper and dude to a seemingly large engine its defiantly not long enough maybe this will reach.

https://www.sgs-engineering.com/tj3-long-reach-professional-service-trolley-jack

I will have to get under with the old ruler 🙂

Do you still have the Celsior in your profile? The one I linked to goes under my LS400 and I've lifted from the front more than once. The jack is all the way under the car so the handle is pretty horizontal but these jacks are quick lift anyway so it only takes a couple of short lifts and the car is up.

I bought the one below but the place is just down the road from where I work so I picked it up. It's a good jack, low profile and 3.5 ton so beefy enough for a LS400. I also bought a 'Slotted jack Rubber Pad Adapter For Pinch Weld' from eBay so not to damage the jacking points. The SGS long reach 3 ton trolley jack looks better though and it's free delivery......

Jack:

http://www.cjautos.eu:80/LOW_PROFILE_3_5_TON_TROLLEY_JACK_p/gt01c.htm

Jacking pad:

image.png.27270bbb581c31db739ab12486d4241b.png

• Like 1

I've only used mine on the sill jacking points. I'm pretty sure it would fit under the engine but a long reach trolley jack would be a lot better than the one I got.

My method is, loosen wheel nuts, jack up one side of the car using the trolley jack/sill jacking point, put an axle stand in place, lower the car onto it and repeat on the other side while watching that the first side is ok and doesn't move or tilt. Then when happy everything is stable remove the wheels. Good quality axle stands with a wide base help stability. To lower the car back again it's just the reverse. You can jack up the whole front end then lower onto axle stands but I've always been a bit wary of doing this. I have thought about a jacking beam though which would be easier. Below are the jacking points for a LS400 which I presume are the same or very similar for a LS430.

image.thumb.png.fc64fde1a1dde8f1e304e54a9d4bd0f7.png

46 minutes ago, steve2006 said:

MOT garage managed to crush my jacking points

Yep, that's all too common. I have done this in the past using a trolley jack that's why I bought a jacking pad for the trolley jack, solid rubber with a slot and not had an issue. In fact I 'manufactured' a jacking pad using 2 wooden blocks, it did the job for a while but started to split so I bought the proper one mentioned above. If the correct rubber pads are used on a four post ramp it shouldn't damage them though. From memory when doing an MOT the car is placed on a full ramp, then a jacking beam is used to raise the rear or front wheels off the ramp to check suspension stuff without the weight of the car on the wheels. For your MOT/s maybe they didn't have the correct rubber pads on the jacking beam and used the sill 'support' points.