Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

My thought on the rcf

Thought i should share this. Test drove a 2017 rcf today as finally there is one popped up on AT locally.

having owned the isf for over a year now, always wondered if upgrading it would be a wise decision in the long run.

probs not the best comparison but my f has coilover, exhaust and bushing.

Imo pros are

AVS: so ride is better, more well dampened. It is a better than my kwv3 set up but not by far.

Slightly more responsive in the lower rpm range

seats are more comfortable

faster ? On paper yes, street driving, Dunno i cant tell with the limited time i had it

cons imo

steering is too light and vague in comparison to the isf? It feels as light as my nx. My f is more weighted 

i aint tall, 5ft9 but the seat belt is so far back after i have adjusted the seating position that i actually had to give a good turn and reach for it. 

i genuinely feel cabin noise is quieter in my isf. Could be the tire in the rcf tiring.. but there was also rattle for such a new car from the rear seats. the brake being squeaky didnt help either but that is the dealers preparation

It needs an exhaust... too damn quiet stock. 

barry

DDDF73CC-DF74-407D-A4FE-372BCD4667C9.jpeg

• Like 1

I think the steering is a bit lighter on the RCF compared to the ISF I previously owned.. As for the seat belt position, there is a magnetic holder on the side of the seat so maybe it wasn't attached? No squeaks or rattles on my car and it's a 2015 model.

10 hours ago, Bluethunder said:

I think the steering is a bit lighter on the RCF compared to the ISF I previously owned.. As for the seat belt position, there is a magnetic holder on the side of the seat so maybe it wasn't attached? No squeaks or rattles on my car and it's a 2015 model.

The only time I get any rattles are either when the seat belt isn't tucked away properly or from my 'aftermarket' water bottle.. Mine's a 15 also.

On 4/19/2021 at 10:17 PM, Bluethunder said:

Interesting about the magnet, going to look for that tomorrow as I too find it difficult/inconvenient reaching for my belt.

• 1 year later...
On 4/26/2021 at 10:41 PM, BillNick said:

Interesting about the magnet, going to look for that tomorrow as I too find it difficult/inconvenient reaching for my belt.

I don’t use my belt retainer as have heard that this can cause the seat leather to wear prematurely.

• Like 1

On 4/19/2021 at 1:54 PM, Cactus said:

Thought i should share this. Test drove a 2017 rcf today as finally there is one popped up on AT locally.

having owned the isf for over a year now, always wondered if upgrading it would be a wise decision in the long run.

Imo pros are

AVS: so ride is better, more well dampened. It is a better than my kwv3 set up but not by far.

faster ? On paper yes, street driving, Dunno i cant tell with the limited time i had it

cons imo

steering is too light and vague in comparison to the isf? It feels as light as my nx. My f is more weighted 

i aint tall, 5ft9 but the seat belt is so far back after i have adjusted the seating position that i actually had to give a good turn and reach for it. 

i genuinely feel cabin noise is quieter in my isf. Could be the tire in the rcf tiring.. but there was also rattle for such a new car from the rear seats. the brake being squeaky didnt help either but that is the dealers preparation

barry

When I test drive my 2015 RCF as a straight comparisons to my 2011 ISF I found it more responsive & an improvement - funny how these things go.  I suspect, like all F’s, the more time you spend with them the better they get.

I wondered whether the drive back in my ISF would change my mind about buying the RCF, but I was surprised to find that it made the ISF feel a little dated in comparison.  For me the RCF is a special place to be & I still look forward to driving it even after 4yrs of ownership.  I don’t think I have ever owned a car which gets more positive comments.  Still we all want different things from our cars so good luck with whatever you decide on.

Oh & definitely agree on exhaust as all F’s are too quiet from the factory. I put a QuickSilver exhaust on the RCF not long after I bought it which adds so much character to the car.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, NemesisUK said:

Surely the belt still rubs against the seat shoulder?

Apparently seems to make it worse because it’s strapped against the seat in a fixed location.  Happy to be wrong but I think there were some posts on it.

• Like 1

Ha how funny, I have owned my RCF for about 18 months now and always wondered what those extra bits of leather were for...just went outside to try it out with the belt and yes, I will be using them from now on! haha.

I can however, see some very slight wear in the leather so suspect previous owners used them a lot.

Both my new RCs came with the belts already secured by the retainers, so I have always used them. Only managed 20k miles from new so no signs of rubbing but must admit it does occasionally squeak! Might get some felt collars made to slip round them 

Not a bad idea.

Mine had 24k when I bought it and already the drivers bolster was worn down to white. Had that professionally repaired.

They do stick out a lot on the F however....difficult to slip in without your back rubbing on it. 

On 4/19/2021 at 1:54 PM, Cactus said:

Imo pros are

cons imo

barry

Having recently bought an RCF and having owned an ISF I was initially underwhelmed.  ISF was my first foray into V8s and my first F car so will always hold a soft spot in my heart.  What I will say about the RCF though is as mentioned above, it is most definitely a grower!  Even in the short time I have had my RCF, my perception of it has changed and I would definitely consider it the next evolutionary step after the ISF, doing everything a little better.  I find the ISF to have dated a tad at this point, particularly inside and although subjective, I feel the RCF will hold out better.

Are you considering buying it?? One thing to consider is that as ISF/RCF/GSF owners we are already considered mental by the majority.  I certainly don’t buy cars using my head and can’t imagine many on here do so follow your gut rather than what the paperwork says!

If you have a real hankering for an RCF but feel a little underwhelmed don’t worry - I guarantee that you will soon get over it an love every second! 

• Like 2

9 hours ago, SSUR said:

Spotted a beautiful blue RCF recently, v nice but I’ll stick to that same V8 in my 600!

It's not the same V8. RCF has the 2UR-GSE, LS 600h has the 2UR-FSE.

I didn't want to comment on a resurrected thread, but I just couldn't let that one go. 😛

• Haha 1

18 minutes ago, Rob RCF said:

I didn't want to comment on a resurrected thread, but I just couldn't let that one go. 😛

Could be a LC F 🤷‍♂️ who knows 😂 

1 hour ago, Rob RCF said:

Wow, seen the date but didn’t notice the year!! Has very much been resurrected!

12 hours ago, SSUR said:

Great knowledge and many thanks. Reminds me of the subtle difference between my previous GS460 v LS460!

No worries. In fairness the 2UR-GSE is derived from the one in your LS 600.

More info on the 2UR-GSE here (ISF version): https://mag.lexus.co.uk/a-closer-look-at-the-lexus-is-fs-v8/

and covering the additional upgrades for the RCF here: https://newsroom.lexus.eu/2014-lexus-rc-f-lexus-most-powerful-v8-engine/

I've always found it amazing that they were able to take the already good ISF version and get 50 extra bhp with the improvements to the RCF. What an engine.

Great respect for the mighty Lexus V8 in all its various derivatives and we are blessed to still enjoy them pre electric times ahead.
The LS600 is my fourth Lexus V8. They are sublime, effortlessly refined and smooth assassins. Interestingly, each V8 in my previous GS models had a subtly different character. The 2005 GS430 6 speed was the quietest (virtually silent) while the 8 speed in the GS460 was clearly more sporty with a slight exhaust and engine note.

The LS takes the refinement to another higher level, combined with amazing build and quality, double glazing, AWD gives surprisingly nearly flat cornering in such a heavy car, wider track, LWB and air suspension gives a cloud or gliding ride.

I would consider the LC 500 next at fine point….question is V8 or H?

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 5/18/2022 at 10:32 PM, Jgtcracer said:

Having recently bought an RCF and having owned an ISF I was initially underwhelmed.  ISF was my first foray into V8s and my first F car so will always hold a soft spot in my heart.  What I will say about the RCF though is as mentioned above, it is most definitely a grower!  Even in the short time I have had my RCF, my perception of it has changed and I would definitely consider it the next evolutionary step after the ISF, doing everything a little better.  I find the ISF to have dated a tad at this point, particularly inside and although subjective, I feel the RCF will hold out better.

Are you considering buying it?? One thing to consider is that as ISF/RCF/GSF owners we are already considered mental by the majority.  I certainly don’t buy cars using my head and can’t imagine many on here do so follow your gut rather than what the paperwork says!

If you have a real hankering for an RCF but feel a little underwhelmed don’t worry - I guarantee that you will soon get over it an love every second! 

Rcf is a great refined car. I just dont find it a car for me. I want something more visceral.  
i would prefer the gsf over the rcf.

In fact i am looking to go back to simple formulas of a yaris grmn. Lightweight, stick, fun. 

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links