Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Fuel filler cap sticking - emergency release

EddieCD

Hi everyone,

I have read the issues people have been having with the fuel filler cap sticking on the LC500 and noticed in the manual it says you can release it from a switch hidden under a tab in the back seat.  The one I am due to pick up on Sat has had the fix done by the recall but wondered if anyone tried this?  Would be good to know should it happen.

Thanks Eddie

28BBC386-CC77-4C40-8C20-9075337BDF1B.png

Hi Eddie,

It is my understanding the emergency release facility in the manual applies when the fuel flap door remains stuck shut due to the electronic plunger not operating when you press the button.

The issues experienced by myself and others is that the plunger operates but there is insufficient force to flip open the flap.I lubricated my hinge and only in very cold circumstances has it stuck since but even then it can easily be prised fully open with my finger as the plunger has done its job.

There has been no recall to my knowledge but the dealers offer a replacement flap hinge.It appears this entails removing trim etc and I have already gone down that route with the fuel pump ,which was a recall.

Cheers,

A J.

• 1 month later...

Had the same issue with my LC whilst trying to fill up at a service station, fortunately I had enough gas in it for a day or so. 
whilst at the service station rang local Lexus dealer and explained my predicament and was asked to bring the car in the next day to get it sorted, I said I could drop it off straight away but they said they needed to get a new part in for the fix, some sort of mod, anyway it was repaired next day and took about an hour and haven’t had any issues since.

• 3 weeks later...

I've only had my LC for some 11 days and have already experienced this problem. Took at look at matters and solved the problem by filing a slight chamfer on the female part of the lock/unlock mechanism of the fuel cover. I used a fairly small flat Swiss file and hey presto problem solved.

• Like 1

Been lurking for some time…currently on RX number 3, now retired and ready for a little fun. Looking at Used Approved LC500h but concerned about “problem” of fuel filler cap. In over 15 years of Lexus ownership I’ve never had a problem or a “failure to proceed” (you can see what other Marques I’m thinking of…) and worried that my Lexus reliability expectations won’t be met. I

Looking at an early model, probably 2017 as I have access to 3 cars so mileage won’t be great…should this be a deal breaker?

No way its a deal breaker.Even if the fuel flap sticks ,it is usually easy to get it open . Most cars dont have the problem and those that have are either fixed with a replacement mechanism or (as in my case) lubricated by the owner.

Dont let this put you off.

A J.

• 2 years later...
On 6/15/2021 at 9:10 PM, wendle said:

If the fuel flap sticks take it to Lexus and they will replace it, even if the car is out of warranty.

Have you found this to be true (that Lexus replace it)?  Lexus Chalfont declined this on mine (approved used, purchased October 23) in Jan 24...

18 hours ago, mattarazi said:

Have you found this to be true (that Lexus replace it)?  Lexus Chalfont declined this on mine (approved used, purchased October 23) in Jan 24...

Are you having the car serviced at a Lexus dealership, if so the car is under warranty for 100K miles or 10 years

Ask them to look at there re call list, its quite a common on the LC, quote the Lexus Forum, most of the time the dealerships have no clue of re calls

The US have a recall for this which is what i tell my dealership, but then the US get a lot more re calls than Europe get, we only seem to get the ones that involve life and death

Its not a easy or cheep job to replace it, it took them the best part of the day to do mine

Every now and then open the flap and wiggle it back and forth a few times, i normally do it when i clean the car, also a square of WD40 should help

1 minute ago, wendle said:

Are you having the car serviced at a Lexus dealership, if so the car is under warranty for 100K miles or 10 years

Ask them to look at there re call list, its quite a common on the LC, quote the Lexus Forum, most of the time the dealerships have no clue of re calls

The US have a recall for this which is what i tell my dealership, but then the US get a lot more re calls than Europe get, we only seem to get the ones that involve life and death

Its not a easy or cheep job to replace it, it took them the best part of the day to do mine

Thankyou!  Yes I took it to Chalfont St Giles (Parts & Service).  Because the selling dealer (Lexus Lincoln October 2023) failed to record the July 2023 service accurately, it's showing as "Relax" warranty (the 10 year, extended annually by servicing) expired.  Chalfont St Giles wouldn't recognise the "Extra are" warranty it seems Lincoln put against the car, and have actually registered on the online servicing "Can fit fuel flap for £360. have told customer to return to dealer he bought the car from"!

Frankly, this is not what I signed up for buying a Lexus... 

3 hours ago, mattarazi said:

Thankyou!  Yes I took it to Chalfont St Giles (Parts & Service).  Because the selling dealer (Lexus Lincoln October 2023) failed to record the July 2023 service accurately, it's showing as "Relax" warranty (the 10 year, extended annually by servicing) expired.  Chalfont St Giles wouldn't recognise the "Extra are" warranty it seems Lincoln put against the car, and have actually registered on the online servicing "Can fit fuel flap for £360. have told customer to return to dealer he bought the car from"!

Frankly, this is not what I signed up for buying a Lexus... 

I think I’d be phoning Lexus customer services. Lincoln need a kick up the a se for not doing their job, and Chalfont can have one too while you’re at it. I’d bet there isn’t an LC in the country that isn’t under the Relax scheme.
Relax is supposed to be exactly that - relaxing.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, eightk said:

I think I’d be phoning Lexus customer services. Lincoln need a kick up the a se for not doing their job, and Chalfont can have one too while you’re at it. I’d bet there isn’t an LC in the country that isn’t under the Relax scheme.
Relax is supposed to be exactly that - relaxing.

Thanks.  Agree with all the above.

Lexus Lincoln have managed to "service" the car in July 2023, and somehow not register it as such.

Lexus Chalfont claim not to know what "ExtraCare" is, and point me to the selling dealer.

150miles each way, that's not a solution.

Turns out I DO have the only LC in the UK not in the "Relax" scheme.

20240121_140905.jpg

20240121_141657.jpg

On 1/20/2024 at 3:21 PM, mattarazi said:

Perhaps you can both get together on this, as i have said it is a issue with the LC, in the US and here, it should be covered by a re call but Lexus don't seem to treat there European customers the same as the US,