Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Looking at buying a Lexus GS450h (REG: LB08YXT) the advert states it has 17,000 mileage and the price is £6,750 (£7,750) with new hybrid Battery. The engine light is on and the seller stated that he is currently having the hybrid Battery replaced, therefore, the price will be the higher figure stated, £7,750. 

I am interested to hear peoples opinions on this. Part of me feels like the offer is too good to be true. The gentleman sent me the service history, which appears legitimate with Lexus of Edgeware stamps; I was planning on calling them and checking this is accurate before driving to test drive/buy. The location of said vehicle is in North London. 

The ad is as follows; 2008 Blue Lexus GS 450h 3.5 SE CVT 4dr for sale for £6750 in Whetstone, Borough Of Barnet (autotrader.co.uk)

Are there any faults or issues with this specific mark of GS450h that I need to be aware of? Also, any other views would be greatly appreciated. 

Thanks 

Just called Lexus Edgeware. They said that it looks legitimate. However, in 2013 they recorded the mileage as 39,721, however, in 2015 it was 7,347. He stated that this may have just been a typo error because every other mileage after that is keeping inline with the 17,000 mileage (i.e. 2,000 miles a year roughly). 

I feel that it may have been clocked; the stamps in the book, if you look in blue the have the year reg correlating to the stamp, however, in 2013 they have a 2016 year stamp, in 2015 they have a 2016 stamp and in 2016 they have a 2016 stamp. From 2017 it has a 17 stamp and so on for the accurate year. The hybrid Battery has also gone, which is making me thing has this car in fact done 170,000 rather than 17,000. The gentleman on the phone said that provided the service was with Lexus (which it was) the hybrid Battery is guaranteed for a year, however, it is unheard of for the hybrid Battery system to go wrong at such little mileage, but it could be possible... 

I'd be interested to get other peoples perspective with regards to this?

Looks to me like some creative accounting has gone on.

He wants another £1K  for the hybrid Battery to be replaced? Replaced  or bodged?? Hybrid batteries don't cost £1000 .

There are plenty of cars available at the moment and there are enough red flags here to make me walk away from this one.

• Like 2

Spot on, I noticed another gentleman posted this earlier on the group below this thread. 

I feel the mileage has been clocked and there is some colorful accounting. As always, if it is too good to be true, it usually is. 

Hope this helps anyone who is looking at this car so that they aren't *possibly* scammed. 

just my oberservation: the stamps and sriting look the same as if they have been done at the same time

Here is the original thread mentioned above:

gs450h for sale - Lexus GS 300 / Lexus GS 250 / Lexus GS 430 / Lexus 450h / Lexus GS 460 Club - Lexus Owners Club

2020 miles between registration in 2008 and 1st service in 2013?? I don't think so. Almost certainly starship mileage up to just before 1st MOT and then clocked. I know this goes on from experience. I bought  a 3 year old Merc with 30K on it  which after some investigation turned out to have 110K + on it. Needless to say the dealer took it back before things escalated. At least they had the sense to clock it to something believable.

As it happened this was the end  of my association with Mercs and I bought a Lexus to replace it. That was 4 Lexi ago.

I wouldn't think its too difficult to get hold of replacement service books and a Lexus stamp.....

G

8 hours ago, Alexander-Lexus said:

Just called Lexus Edgeware. They said that it looks legitimate. However, in 2013 they recorded the mileage as 39,721, however, in 2015 it was 7,347. He stated that this may have just been a typo error because every other mileage after that is keeping inline with the 17,000 mileage (i.e. 2,000 miles a year roughly). 

It says 3972 on the stamp, but they recorded 39721??? How does that happen? You would think that they'd be careful doing that. Then again one guy servicing it records it electronically in the database, and another guy puts the service stamp and writes the mileage.

Anyway, the interior looks more like that of mine which has 130k miles, rather than 17k. Also no up-close photos. I would be curious to see the state of the wheels as that can be indicative. The MOT history is impeccable which suggests that it has been taken care of VERY well, which would suggest that the interior should be on a similar level, which is not.

Here's the website where you can check MOT history. www.totalcarcheck.co.uk It's free and you just need a registration.

image.thumb.png.ac20639b334f81be6c09acf48bfaaa33.png

• 2 weeks later...

check th e "lexus link " on the app it will tell you when it visited the dealer and miles i dont have a service book with mine (wifes) as it was lost but it is all on the app every visit and date/miles ..ps mine is still for sale 6750 on here now ..

On 4/20/2021 at 10:14 AM, 08ISF said:

Looks to me like some creative accounting has gone on.

He wants another £1K  for the hybrid battery to be replaced? Replaced  or bodged?? Hybrid batteries don't cost £1000 .

There are plenty of cars available at the moment and there are enough red flags here to make me walk away from this one.

Agreed.