Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

E5, E10 or Super, what to put in the tank.

• 1 month later...
On 6/17/2021 at 9:41 PM, Spacewagon52 said:

My first gallon cost 35p if I remember correctly - then the fuel crisis and it went to 50p!

Pretty sure I used to put £1 worth of fuel in my first car and get quite a bit more than a gallon of fuel. I should check fuel prices to confirm this. Mind you, my Hillman Hunter GLS didn’t do that many miles to the gallon as I recall 😀

8 hours ago, ALAW said:

Filled up this afternoon at an Esso station and noticed it stated E5 on the pump handle.

All fuel is E5 at the moment I think. There are plans to replace it with E10 but can’t remember the exact plans. E5 fuel comes in 95/98/99 octane rating.

9 hours ago, paulrnx said:

Pretty sure I used to put £1 worth of fuel in my first car and get quite a bit more than a gallon of fuel. I should check fuel prices to confirm this. Mind you, my Hillman Hunter GLS didn’t do that many miles to the gallon as I recall 😀

So much for my memory! Seems the price of fuel was just over £1 a gallon when I first started driving. Maybe it was before that when my mother was filling her car up.

57 minutes ago, paulrnx said:

All fuel is E5 at the moment I think. There are plans to replace it with E10 but can’t remember the exact plans. E5 fuel comes in 95/98/99 octane rating.

Here's a reminder for the benefit of those who have not read the whole thread ... or maybe just forgotten that they've not read the whole thread ... or even forgotten that they have read the whole thread! 😆.   After all, April was a long time ago 😄.

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/e10-petrol-explained

11 hours ago, paulrnx said:

My cousin had a Hunter - he said it was the best car he had driven so far in his motoring career - at that point in time.

On 4/24/2021 at 2:09 PM, paulrnx said:

I’m pretty sure that petrol was a lot less than a £1 a gallon when I first started driving. I keep thinking I could buy more than a gallon for 50p in 1980 but this might be poor memory on my part 😀

When I passed my test in 1977 petrol was 68p a GALLON not a litre, used to put  pounds worth in at a time but it was a 1960’s Mini Cooper......now if I still had that one my pension fund would be a lot better 😀

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, Spacewagon52 said:

My cousin had a Hunter - he said it was the best car he had driven so far in his motoring career - at that point in time.

The GLS version was quite a car in its day. Faster than an MGB GT. Handling was certainly a bit suspect though and not it’s best point! 😀

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, stepheneric said:

In Malawi in the early 1990's all petrol was 10% Ethanol (produced in country). Malawi was obviously decades ahead of the EU.

Were you anywhere near Blantyre?

In Malawi in the early 1990's all petrol was 10% Ethanol (produced in country). Malawi was obviously decades ahead of the EU.

We collected our BMW 5 series from Durban and drove up to Blantyre via Zim and Zambia (the Tete corridor was still closed).

We had no problem with the fuel in Malawi. We were next the posted to Sudan and soon discovered that the fuel was only 85% octane,

so bought a drum (210litre) of 110octane aviation fuel and use to put a gerry can in the tank every fill up - problem solved 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• 3 months later...

Ethanol technically has a lower calorific value than "pure" petrol; that means you need to burn more of it to get the same effect. In an internal combustion engine that means you have the throttle open harder to get the same effect you might with regular fuel. So in theory, if you drove exactly the same way, same temperatures, same speeds, acceleration rates, and a hundred other factors, you'd theoretically notice a fractional decrease in fuel economy with the new E10 petrol.

I've been touring on the continent on motorcycles for years, and most of the fuel over there has been E10 the entire time. I track my fuel economy religiously and have never noticed a consistent difference in real-world use. As for the rest...different brands etc...the internet is full of studies showing that, unless your engine is designed for high-octane fuel you won't get any benefit from choosing 98 or higher. And as for different petrol brands having an effect...I'd want to see the scientific study before I'd agree that it's anything other than psychosomatic. 🙂

Nick