Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Steering wheel up/down/telescopic

hi guys

this seems to be a common fault with a variety of solutions across many forums.

My telescopic function has stopped working totally, even from the knob.

The up/down works from the knob, it retracts away ok, just doesn't automatically reset to the memory position so I have to use the knob.

Now is this motor or control box?  Is there a magic software reset thing that anyone is aware of?

I did ask my dealer and was told "the last one of these we had, we replaced the whole steering mechanism"  Yeah I'm sure they wanted to do that!

Thanks in advance.

HI

This is most likey the motor - I believe the motor is located right at the end of the steering shaft just above the pedals with the shaft facing towards the driver. So if you are good with spanners and working methodically in tight spaces then you could buy a motor and replace it.

Before you do it you could try helping the steering telescope (i.e pull or push it) whilst pressing the button to see if it helps.

My gut feeling is your steering memory setting is also not working now - thats what happened to me

There are new motors available or you could try Paul at Lexus Parts Direct to see if he has any - he was selling refurbished ones at one time

• Like 2

Have same problem here, the motor is a bit of a pain to get to, but to be honest I would miss the up/down more if that went.

Some USA folks have had a go at fiddling with the motor, but you would not know if that was an option until you got the casing off.

I see it as the LS getting arthritis, bits keep giving up but the car still keeps going (mainly)

• Like 1

When the adjustments failed on mine, I just set it to suit my driving position as I understood that the motors on the Mk4's can't be fixed, just replaced. It was easy enough to do once shrouds were removed, and all parts in there looked very well made, but obviously lifed. My car is slowly failing electrically, but still drives fine, but there must come a time in the future where it will be 1 fault too many and it's time to go.

Pete

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, plastic orange said:

When the adjustments failed on mine, I just set it to suit my driving position as I understood that the motors on the Mk4's can't be fixed, just replaced. It was easy enough to do once shrouds were removed, and all parts in there looked very well made, but obviously lifed. My car is slowly failing electrically, but still drives fine, but there must come a time in the future where it will be 1 fault too many and it's time to go.

Pete

When the time does come will that engine fit into Morris Minor V8 number 4 😀

Yes, they do fit, as a guy in my area has one with all LS running gear. However I'm down to 3 Minors now, but have a 1953 Chevy Bel Air fitted with a 6 litre V8. My Lexus gets little use these days and doesn't go out in the winter unless necessary. It really needs me to attend to all the annoying electrical stuff, plus it needs the windscreen taken out to fix the usual rust at the top of it, plus rear N/s wheel arch tidying. I just keep putting it off as it still drives and looks pretty good, plus I've other cars to look after. Still, I've had it nearly 12 years now, so it's done well. I've taken a notion to a C5 Corvette though, so who knows?

Pete