Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Hi all,

Still looking to buy a GS300. Been reading numerous posts and while I'm sure the GS300 is the car for me MPG appears low, even more reason to go LPG.

Anyone running a LPG or know what type of conversion best suits the GS300??

Cheers

John

Hi Colin,

Had a email from Lexus Contact Centre, they don't recommend converting to LPG. :crybaby:

They never said don't do it just that the have no authorised/recommended dealers so cannot offer any suggestions....... other than the LexusOwnersClub. Suppose that is some form of recommendation for this site. :D

John

I had the same problem with my Toyota Avensis. They said they don't recommend it.

But i'm sitll interested in having my mark 1 gs done too. The fuel consumption is fairly bad as you mentioned. Mine is currently doing 23mpg average over a tank of mixed driving. However, that's got a high percentage of A roads and steady 60 - 70mph runs.

Yep, pretty poor really. Reckon I may get more out of it though with a mess!

Well if it's any help, am gonna look at getting mine converted. If I can get the stuff, i'll do it myself though.

It's way too poor on fuel, I expected it to be bad - but not this bad! The most I have had with motorway driving is 23mpg.

Anyone had theirs converted? And can anyone recommend anyone?

The actual MPG you get will be worse on LPG.

Also, the price of it is expected to go up quite a bit over the next few years, so work out if you will actually make back what the conversion will cost.

You will only save about 6p per mile, so at current costs it will take quite a few thousand miles to break even.

And if the price of LPG does go up (which it now will) it might turn out to be a bad investment.

To be honest, if you can afford the car, the insurance, and the maintenance, then you can afford to put petrol in it, especially since the Petrol isn't the most expensive part of the average yearly expense of owning a car.

The calculator is a bit out on the mpg which makes the savings look better. It gives 20mpg average for my car but I normally get more than that.

The RX300 is the only Lexus that is approved for a government grant of £700.

Yes indeed, the mpg on the calculator is well down on what I actually get. Even with their slightly skewed figures, it will still be over two years before any payback at all.

Other than reduced carbon emissions or some such other greeny leftwing nonsense that nobody in their right mind cares about of course.

Shall I smiley that?...hmmm...

You've just talked me out of it! I shan't keep it that long, that bloomin door with a slightly different colour is doing my head in! Gotta do sommat with it!

May look at gettin it tuned or other options. I mainly do motorway miles and would have expected a bit more than 23mpg average. What do any of you guys get during motorway runs? Surely closer to 30?

Cheers! :duh:

Bought my 1997 Mk 1 GS 16mths ago, already converted to LPG. Runs absolutely fantastic, no problems during my ownership thus far (covered approx. 20,000 miles during this time).

Running on gas I get about 23mpg. I currently pay around 34p/litre for my gas, so reckon I am getting the equivalent of 46/50mpg compared to petrol.

Power/performance is virtually the same, and you can flick from one to the other at 80mph and not be able to tell the difference.

Yes, LPG prices are rumoured to rise, but to be fair, petrol does also at almost every Budget announcement. The likelyhood of petrol & LPG prices meeting are pretty slim in my opinion.

Steve J.

LPG is only a bit cheaper because there is less tax on it, and the government have now found out that it is no better for the enviroment than petrol because it gives off other types of emissons which is why they are reducing the amount given out in grants for the conversions and the concessions on duty.

Hello JamesHolden!

Funny to see you here!  Lost that Avensis like me?

I seem to remember you frequenting TOC.

Stu

B)

Not quite yet.

I still have my Avensis (althought I am actively seeking replacing it with something superior - probably a Camry or GS300) but I am on here regularly as my dad has recently replaced his Camry with a MKIV LS400.

I've just had a look at the pics of your GS300, it's almost ideal for what I am looking for.

I meant that the actual cost of LPG is no cheaper, it is just that the tax on it is less, which is why in the near future it could increase hugely in price as the tax goes up. There has already been speculation of 7p per litre tax increase on it next year which is more than what has been planned to be added onto petrol.

All i'm trying to say is, rather than looking at the unit price of the gas, do a proper calculation based on the mileage you do per year and add an amount every year on top of the gas price to ensure that you at least break even, as for most people LPG is a long term investment so make sure it doesnt end up costing you money rather than saving it.

I still have my Avensis (althought I am actively seeking replacing it with something superior - probably a Camry or GS300) but I am on here regularly as my dad has recently replaced his Camry with a MKIV LS400.

I've just had a look at the pics of your GS300, it's almost ideal for what I am looking for.

Yeah am quite pleased with it. It's not in brilliant condition which annoys me a little cause my avensis was immaculate. I'd go for the mark II if you can afford it unless you have a mark I sport. Mines a tad boring at the side - and the mark II has nice chrome detailing which looks much better especially on the dark coloured cars.

However, I love the interior and it's a very nice place to be. Especially the ones with the cream coloured leather and brown dash etc. Erganomically i'd say they are almost bang on with all controls being fairly big nobs to twist like on the stereo and climate control. It's all very easy to use.

You'll like having one, as you seem to like the sort of cars I do. Nice big automatics!

SteveJ,

Me thinks you done the right thing..... I've only had my GS300 4 days and I payed more that I originally wanted to spend (granted I bought a Mk II rather than a Mk I) but got a better car.

So my available conversion budget is GONE :o so I'll stay petrol for a while and convert later in the yr. No way will the government (and don't get me started on them :excl: :tsktsk: ) be allowed to hike prices too much too soon. Still reckon over next three yrs I'll save money and make the car more marketable by converting.

Enjoying the first days :driving:

Jonny