Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Can I add more parking sensors to existing loom

Johnlex

So on my Lexus IS 250c I only have 4 parking sensors altogether in the front and rear. The front 2 are useless and literally do nothing same as the rear but I have a reversing camera. Is it possible to buy some OEM ONES, drill extra holes and then lug and go ??? 
many help please ??

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Johnlex said:

@scudneyYeah they are fine clean but I only have 2 on the front and the placement is terrible as they dont pick up or detect so want to add 2 more either side of the number plate 

79EFBA27-6182-45C4-A369-E271E901C08F.jpeg

I've experienced the same with my front sensors, they do work but I believe from what I've read around the inter webs is that they're more intended for when you're turning as opposed to what is directly in front of you. I suppose we could try relocating them but it would be great if someone figured out how to add two more to work natively with LEXUS Park Assist! 

• Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, McShmoopy said:

I've experienced the same with my front sensors, they do work but I believe from what I've read around the inter webs is that they're more intended for when you're turning as opposed to what is directly in front of you. I suppose we could try relocating them but it would be great if someone figured out how to add two more to work natively with LEXUS Park Assist! 

That is an excellent idea.

• Like 1

Perhaps you already know this: to verify if an individual parking sensor is actively 'sensing', if you rest the end of your finger nail on the centre of the sensor, then you will feel a gentle, repeating, high-frequency buzz.  I have noticed it is always there when a sensor is 'on', with every one I've tried.

If the controller (which as an aftermarket device, is usually around the size of a small fag packet), or the power to it, is rogered, then there will be nothing, of course. 

This might help you to determine if you have a individual sensor problem, or the whole thing is dead.  (In the instructions with new kits it usually states not to disconnect sensors with the power on, at risk of blowing the controller up.)

The size of the hole cut in the bumper limits what sensors you can put back in, if you should want replace them.  There are a few different popular diameters.  If yours are large-ish, then you are more restricted in choice without some bodywork needed.

On the one occasion I have mixed branded (Valeo) sensors with a 'generic' controller, taken from an cheap, unbranded eBay set, they worked perfectly and still do 8 years on - it may well be that sensors often conform to a regular design, from an electronic perspective anyway.   

Errrrrr are you sure you've only got 2 sensors at the rear? My car has 4. The 2 in front are in the best position as most damage done to the front of a car is when manoeuvring it in a tightish spot.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links