Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

LC500 Brake Squeal

AJ500

Hi everyone,

Has anyone else in the UK experienced any front brake squeek/squeal. My car,on occasions,makes a pretty loud squeal noise when  moving very slowly in,say,a tailback or traffic light queue and gently applying the brakes.Not all the time and possibly mainly warm weather.The car is regularly used,garaged,cleaned every time its used and the discs look unscarred.

I read on the USA forum that owners had suffered with this and heavy brake dust and Lexus America replaced the pads under warranty with a different compound.My UK dealer claimed to know nothing of this when I raised it shortly after buying the car when it first did this.However,it has not happened too often so I ignored it.When it does this it is a little embarrassing as the car already gains a lot of attention.

Perhaps other owners have had this or maybe I need to brake harder to wear the disc surface!

The car has done 8k miles.

Thanks,

A J. 

• Thanks 1

Funnily enough I was just thinking about this. My LC500h I've had about 5 weeks now and I've noticed it at low-speed braking, both forward and reverse.

According to this (non-UK) source, it's not unusual for the high-performance F cars and the LC:

https://www.lexusofhenderson.com/is-brake-squeal-bad-or-good/

I do find it annoying though, but it may cost more to address than it's worth.

Thanks for that link Mike.

If it gets no worse/more often I will probably put up with it.Although I clean the wheels very thoroughly after use ,I dont spray high pressure water at the calipers so it could be a build up of dust.It was particularly loud in town today but the next stop we made in traffic it was silent.

• Like 1

I had my pads replaced by the dealership because of excessive break squeal, the replacement pads have a extra slot in them apparantly, but after 1500 mile the squeal is back

I used to get this problem with my DB9 when used for slower local journeys. The only way to stop it was to do a bit of hard braking to condition the pads.

I have never had this with the LC500 but I do warm up the brakes now and then to keep them in good order.

It was/is a problem for the F vehicles and Lexus have a service bulletin for the RC F where owners can get them replaced for ones that have a different friction material, with a warning that the vehicle should no longer be used on the track. For some reason Lexus GB didn't extent that to the GS F (both are covered in the US).

The LC doesn't use such an aggressive high metal content pad so surprised it is a problem. Many F owners have moved to EBC redstuff or yellowstuff pads which are quiet and have less dust but whilst yellows ones seem to be in development they aren't available yet for the LC. Therefore your options may be limited to importing something from the US.

1 hour ago, AJ500 said:

Chris,

Did the dealer get approval for a warranty pad swap?

I assume so I didn’t have to pay anything, I just told them that it was a free in the US, I didn’t know if that made any difference, if your a good customer I think they will replace them free if you Moan enough 

3 hours ago, wendle said:

I assume so I didn’t have to pay anything, I just told them that it was a free in the US

There is a TSB in the US for this, but if there isn't an equivalent one for Europe then it won't matter. Either there is one and you have changed parts, or your dealer successfully submitted a warranty claim that the pads you had were faulty and you just got a new set of the same part - and the issue will likely come back again if you don't aggressively use the brakes (at least occasionally).

MC-10152169-9999.pdf

• Thanks 1

I get this (more or a creak than a squeal) going in and out of my garage and it's noticeably worse when the wheels are wet. So, thanks for the info. I'll maybe ask them to fix it at the next service. 

There has been quite a lot of this posted on the ISF/RCF/GSF forum. I'm in a rush or I'd hunt the thread for you.

Mine squeals occasionally but then goes away for a long time. The brakes are fine and pass all inspections

Update on my brakes.

Lexus Lincoln have advised that they have been authorised to fit a different front pad.

The car is due to go in next month . They did warn me that the brake feel may change due to a different compound in the pads.I hope this is not drastic .

A J.

33 minutes ago, AJ500 said:

Update on my brakes.

Lexus Lincoln have advised that they have been authorised to fit a different front pad.

The car is due to go in next month . They did warn me that the brake feel may change due to a different compound in the pads.I hope this is not drastic .

A J.

I didn't find any change in brake feel when they changed mine , but don't get your hopes up, mine are back squealing again.

• 2 weeks later...

Update for anyone who may be interested.

Had the front brake pads changed by the dealer after agreement by Lexus UK.

The dealer showed me the pad comparison which clearly demonstrates a slightly smaller pad with different chamfering and only one slot to clear the dust.They said that the revised part number appears to be what will apply from now on with all cars requiring pad replacement.Maybe the newest cars in the UK come with these pads already.

The brake feel did not seem any different on my journey home and I will monitor the performance and see if the dust levels (and squeal)are reduced.

A J.  

• Like 1