Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Clips holding felt liner in the boot

A few months back, we had a hail storm.  I didn't think at the time that my car suffered any damage.  However, today while I was washing it, I noticed a small dent on the top of the boot door.  There is no paint damage and I think I can just pop it out myself if I can get to the underside of the door.  I looked in my boot and the underside of the door has a cover which appears to be  held on by plastic clips.  My questions is, what is the best way to remove this clips without damaging anything and how hard are they to put back in when I am done?

20210423_141351.jpg

20210423_141357.jpg

They're designed to take a flat head screwdriver. Just pop one that fits into the slot and ease it out. Very easy out and in. Alternatively one of those forked trim tools under the head of the plug. But I tend to use a screwdriver.

They can be annoying, difficult to remove but easy to put back in (if you don't chew it up removing it).

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/291931202808

You can get various trim removal tools that will go under the head and level it up. Or get a long thin flat head screwdriver through the hole and pul from both sides, and you may find it easier to pull up one side then the other to work it out.

Thanks for the recommendations.  I guess I am going to have to order some of those clips from eBay.  I went outside with a flat head screw driver.  I stuck the screw driver all the way threw the little slot in the pin and pulled...the top of the pen started turning white and was about the break so I stopped...it didn't come out at all but is now loose compared to the others.  I don't think I will be able to get them out without breaking them.

Just now, Ohoopee said:

Thanks for the recommendations.  I guess I am going to have to order some of those clips from ebay.  I went outside with a flat head screw driver.  I stuck the screw driver all the way threw the little slot in the pin and pulled...the top of the pen started turning white and was about the break so I stopped...it didn't come out at all but is now loose compared to the others.  I don't think I will be able to get them out without breaking them.

Get one out and measure it just to make sure the ones I linked to are correct.

You will find some are easier that others to come out, and certainly worth trying to move one side up a notch first, then the other and repeat rather than pulling directly up.

I found using long nose pliers and one of those fork trim removal tools did the job. The pliers to grab the flat ends and pull up enough to put the fork in and pop the beggars out.

If I remember correctly then you can pass a suitable size cable/Zip tie through the slot between the two flat smooth areas and yank the clip out!

• Like 1