Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Speed alert

The other day, I was out in my IS. The sun was shining, Planet Rock was playing some particularly fine tunes, and the roads were relatively empty. As I was thinking to myself that my IS300H was a rocket ship and the best car in its segment bar none, I suddenly glanced down at the speedometer and noticed that I was exceeding the speed limit by nearly 15mph. This caused me some consternation because I still have about 18 months to go before the Speed Awareness course I took "wears out". It got me wondering. "Mincey, " I wondered to myself, "I wonder if there is some speed alert I can engage to make things change colour if I go over a certain speed, like there was in the old IS250". Well, when I got home I went straight for the manual I can tell you. Sadly I didn't find anything. I can set a rev alert (a bit pointless), but there was no mention of a speed alert. I checked the forum. Nothing. I checked Google. Bingo! I found this video from one of those American types in an IS350 F Sport. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jXuxXOagZZI

Is there any chance that there's a hidden menu squirrelled away somewhere which allows those of us with more environmentally friendly engines and the steering wheel on the correct side of the car, to engage a speed alert? I may be an old luddite, but I find it much easier to see speed on a dial and not via a digital representation. Something to tell me that I've entered Licence Damaging Territory would be nice...

I don’t know if you have the speed sign recognition on this model, but my IS300h bleeps & the sign turns red when I go 5mph over the limit. 
I believe it can be set 1mph, 3mph or 5mph over the limit. 

2 hours ago, Mincey said:

the steering wheel on the correct side of the car, to engage a speed alert?

The steering wheel in the right side can be the wrong side and the steering wheel in the left side can be the wrong side, so how can the steering wheel in either side be in the correct side?

22 minutes ago, Las Palmas said:

The steering wheel in the right side can be the wrong side and the steering wheel in the left side can be the wrong side, so how can the steering wheel in either side be in the correct side?

Just British humour; we are correct, and everyone else who doesn't do as we do are wrong 😉 

Some cars, including most German built cars, are clearly built as LHD. Toyota go to extreme lengths to change everything over so if the dashboard is slightly angled towards the driver, it will be whether the vehicle is LHD or RHD. I've been in Volvos where the dash is angled away from the driver, I've even been in a Merc where they couldn't even be bothered to change over the wipers so the passenger has a clearer view than the driver.

If Toyota decide the power button on the stereo should be closest to the driver and tuning furthest away then that is how it should be and therefore all controls are mirrored, so drivers of LHD or RHD get the same experience.

One thing that isn't, and hasn't been for many years, is the indicator/wiper stalks which are now fixed with indicators on the driver's left hand. This is wrong for a RHD vehicle but all manufactures have agreed on a global standard to avoid confusion.

The only other thing the doesn't get swapped is the fuel filler. These are on the correct side for a RHD vehicle (left of the vehicle) on nearly all Toyotas given they drive on the left - probably too much effort to change that over and it is good to have a mixture of both types on the road so we can fill up together either side of the pump.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, ColinBarber said:

Just British humour; we are correct, and everyone else who doesn't do as we do are wrong 😉

British humour. John Cleese as hotel manager, the poor guy from Barcelona and the extraordinary "Only fools and horses". Some know how and some try to learn.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Tronix said:

This sounds very useful - please could you let me know how this is set? (I have a 2013 is300h)

Thanks

The handbook for my 2014 IS300h indicates (page 118) that the 'speed indicator' was fitted to the F SPORT model only.

1 hour ago, Serendip said:

The handbook for my 2014 IS300h indicates (page 118) that the 'speed indicator' was fitted to the F SPORT model only.

Ah I didn't know that, my IS300h is an Oct 20 model & you set the speed limit alert on the small screen in front of the steering wheel along with lane assist etc.

6 minutes ago, Bounce75 said:

Ah I didn't know that, my IS300h is an Oct 20 model & you set the speed limit alert on the small screen in front of the steering wheel along with lane assist etc.

They are two different systems. The speed limit warning on the F Sport is a single fixed speed at which you are alerted (e.g. 75 mph). The one in conjunction with the road sign system is a warning above whatever speed the system thinks the limit is at the time.

If you have an F Sport with road sign recognition then you have both systems.

Many thanks for the replies everyone - I've already got my road sign warning set up but that doesn't do anything for NSL roads. I have another look over the weekend to see if I can find the speed limit warning. There's no mention of it in my PDF manual, I guess I'll have to dust of the real one!

Found it in the pdf! I was using the wrong term - it's on p133. I'm going to spend the morning looking for an Advanced Searching Course as my skills are clearly not up to scratch!

4 hours ago, Mincey said:

Found it in the pdf! I was using the wrong term - it's on p133. I'm going to spend the morning looking for an Advanced Searching Course as my skills are clearly not up to scratch!

royoftherovers is going to be pleased it was in the manual! 😉🤣

• Haha 1

47 minutes ago, paulrnx said:

royoftherovers is going to be pleased it was in the manual! 😉🤣

I'm quaking in my boots, make no mistake!

Anyway, I had a look in my car's manual and couldn't see anything. I'll admit that I didn't look "that" hard, but I feel slightly vindicated. Here's a video of where to find it anyway. Here's the short of it - go to Settings, then when you get to Meter settings, scroll down or up, then the menu with the Speed limiter will appear. Set the Speed Limiter to On then you can set the target speed with the option below. As you'll see, this was done after I set mine to 77mph as you can see it on the screen in the Rev Counter dial thing:

• Like 2

Ok, warning set to 77, off I go to test it (on a suitable road of course, where there were no Rozzers). 70, 72, 73, 74, 76, 77 - beeeeeeeeeeeep! Perfect. Can anyone tell me why I'm not 100% happy though?

2 hours ago, Mincey said:

Ok, warning set to 77, off I go to test it (on a suitable road of course, where there were no Rozzers). 70, 72, 73, 74, 76, 77 - beeeeeeeeeeeep! Perfect. Can anyone tell me why I'm not 100% happy though?

No softer warning as you get close to the limit perhaps?

2 hours ago, paulrnx said:

No softer warning as you get close to the limit perhaps?

No - it doesn't stick! Each time you turn the ignition off, you have to turn the limit back on again. 

1 hour ago, Mincey said:

No - it doesn't stick! Each time you turn the ignition off, you have to turn the limit back on again. 

That’s not great is it. Should be a stored setting not a volatile one I think. As you do by the sound of it.

11 hours ago, paulrnx said:

That’s not great is it. Should be a stored setting not a volatile one I think. As you do by the sound of it.

Absolutely - it's a right faff to have to set that each time. 

• Like 1

On 4/25/2021 at 8:53 AM, Mincey said:

Absolutely - it's a right faff to have to set that each time. 

As great as Lexus is hardware wise, they are pretty low-quality software wise when it comes to anything but engine control. The problem you have is not great if you want to have it turned on. Should be possible to choose if you want it permanent. Lexus needs software technicians that can think of what the consumer wants and implement it. Just like the navigation system that has been pretty stupid since 2010 I think I have read here. 10 years should have been enough to make it function.

• Like 1