Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Autoexpress - The Top 100

The IS200 done very well in the survey :D , would agree with most of the good and bad comments.

Three negative sections ,performance, practicality and running costs.

I have the auto SE and i'm well pleased with the traffic light performance :winky: .

As far as being practical,how practical is any saloon over a hatchback or MPV style vehicle.

Last point , i find insurance costs as cheap as my old celica, and i'm more than happy with 24-26 mpg on my mixed urban driving :D .

Click here to see the full story at SkyNews .. but here's the important bits...

The survey lists 100 cars in all. The ;best and worst are:

The Best

1. Honda Jazz

2. Mazda 6

3. Honda S2000

4. Lexus IS200

5. Nissan X-Trail

6. Porsche Boxter

7. Skoda Octavia

8. Jaguar XJ (old version)

9. Mercedes E-Class

10. BMW 5-series (old version)

The Worst

1. Peugeot 106

2. Citroen Saxo

3. Ford Fiesta (old version)

4. Rover 200/25

5. Fiat Punto

6. Peugeot 206

7. Vauxhall Vectra (old version)

8. Renault Megane (old version)

9. Renault Espace (old version)

10. Land-Rover Freelander

I knew Honda would be up there, some one told me that in the XX millions of VTEC engines they have built, they have had zero fail...

Nice to be ahead of a Porsche in something if not, off the lights!

Futuristic but I prefer the current design, a lot of the new cars from all manufacturers are starting to look very similar nowadays, this reminds me a bit of a cross between an Audi A4 and a Renault.....

Also an article in there on the new lexii coming out, including some green ones, an IS350GT and then the new GS......

I know this is a little :offtopic: but does anyone have a clue about the engine on that 350GT beast? I tried a search on the AutoEXPRESS site, but not a word on 350GT...

The Best

4. Lexus IS200

The Worst

10. Land-Rover Freelander

And to think my next door neighbour wants to swap her is200 for a freelander. All because the lex is a bit pants in the snow.

She must be mad! :wacko: :eerrrmm:

I quite like the look of that 350.

I ended up with the words contribution in Auto Express last year but no picture - ah well.

Mazda 6, beating the IS? now that really takes the :tsktsk: esp after ripping of every part of the design (they just forgot to make it a saloon). nevermind its still good to see jap cars coming top.

IS350GT... hmmmm like aido i prefer the current design :whistling: Mk2 might grow on me but its not :wub: at first :ph34r: like the mk1

Not many Mazda 6

Colin, i swear there are more Madza6s then IS's. My area is flooded with them probably 3/4 times likley to see a 6 then an IS.

To me the 6 is a poor mans IS :P

I bought this weeks edition of Auto Express. Are the people the interviewed members???? There names are Dave Lapford - IS200SE, Jon Knight - IS200Sport & Barry Bostoff - IS200SE.

The IS got 87.85% and here is the rankings 1 = Excellent to 100 = Don't touch with a barge poll

Performance = 51

Ride Quality = 6

Handling = 16

Braking = 5

Practicality = 64

Comfort = 5

Ease of Driving = 3

Build Quality = 2

Reliability = 2

Running Cost = 72

Here is a quality quote

"Lexus ownership is an excellent experience. It makes you worried about looking elsewhere for a car" Darren Brook, Braintree, Essex

Wonder what the sample numbers were. Not many Mazda 6 or S2000 are sold.

It will have been done in the same way as the JD Power surveys where by everything is averaged out as it's not fair to compare a model that has sold 2000 in a year to one that has sold 20,000.

"Lexus ownership is an excellent experience.  It makes you worried about looking elsewhere for a car"  Darren Brooks, Braintree, Essex

Hee, hee, that was me :D . I didn't know they'd used it until I bought Autoexpress last night. I've been in the survey two years running now!

BTW chaps the Mazda6 beat the IS last year too, and I seriously rate it: it's nice to look at (looks vaugely like an IS), great to drive, built in Japan (say no more) and cost next to nothing (a new 2.0TS for £12500).

If we end up buying an RX as our main car, as planned, I may consider the 6 for our second car, although the alternative is a hot-hatch like a Honda Civic Type R :whistling:.

It will be interesting to see how the new avensis will do in years to come ,looks great and toyota/lexus build quality.

There have been a few little problems with the new Corolla and Avensis. All sorted out now I think. They are both much nicer inside than the older models - a big step forward.