Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

TV on a timer... security

PCM

Thinking about home security...

I read lots of advice about, 'put your TV on a timer'.

But most TVs require the remote control to make them physically come on.

Even radios need to be a bit old-fashioned to function on a timer...

( I know there are those fake TVs, but they only seem good upstairs, or behind curtains.)

Has anyone managed it?

[ Any other home security tips most welcome. I worked hard for my stuff - don't wish to lose it ! ]

I've often wondered the same thing Piers. Surely, having lights and/or TV come on is no good unless the curtains are automatically going to shut as well.

• Like 1

I think it deters the casual theft though. You know, people who go out at night looking for places to rob and they are faced with a choice - a dark house that looks empty versus a house that has some random lights and may therefore have people inside. It won’t stop a determined thief but it would deter casual theft. Believe that the Police still state it’s a good idea to have lights on a timer. A radio too. Or at least it was the last time I looked.

• Like 1

If you have a front porch then a light with a movement sensor is a first step. Has to be mains powered tho.

Another is change your door locks to 3 star security ones. They're much more difficult to pick if at all. They're anti snap too which most aren't. 

Another is to change your door handles to the  2 star ones. Typical door handles are easily snapped. 2 star ones are  basically impossible to snap.

Just some suggestions that I have recently changed to.

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, Mr Vlad said:

If you have a front porch then a light with a movement sensor is a first step. Has to be mains powered tho.

Another is change your door locks to 3 star security ones. They're much more difficult to pick if at all. They're anti snap too which most aren't. 

Another is to change your door handles to the  2 star ones. Typical door handles are easily snapped. 2 star ones are  basically impossible to snap.

Just some suggestions that I have recently changed to.

yes all this will work fine. And dont forget Lights Lights Lights. Thieves do hate that they will go for another house. Finally cameras. hang them in clear sight so the low life can spot them.  A dog also helps.   

Mind you all these help to deter the occasional burglar, the one on the fly looking for an opportunity. The professional artists are a different kind they will enter whatever house they want. Maybe a flame thrower connected to a sensor might help for these?

• Like 2

Lights on when you're out or away and doors locked when you're in on your own.

I always leave upstairs landing lights and/or bedroom lights on if we're away. No one knows they're on during the day but give the impression there's someone upstairs at night. And bulbs are pennies to run, why bother with a timer? There's also an outside light at the back that's always on at night. In fact our house is rarely in darkness at all. A habit I got into when we had kids so if any of them get up they're not stumbling around in the dark. One of the neighbours is frequently away and their house might as well have a big "Burgle Me!" sign over it.

Locked doors because in our last house we had chancers opening the back door even when I was sat in the living room.

• Like 2

You could always just "smart tech" the house. 

Add some Google homes, some smart bulbs etc. And you can set up all different automated routines. 

My house is rigged up and it makes me feel so much better when on holiday.especially.

• Like 2

Thank you.

( I have loads of security. Wife thinks I'm obsessed. And fire extinguishers... )

We have an up and over garage door on runners. Drilled a hole in the metal near the front, so I can lock it with a padlock on the runner inside when we go away...

Also .... some ornate window bars, these driveway alarms are good, Abloy padlocks, UPSs...

• Like 1

I bought a security TV simulator from amazon for about £10. It's approx 3 inches square, plugs into the mains, and comes on at dusk. Can be set for 4 or 7 hours. We leave it in an upstairs room, and it's very realistic when viewed from outside. Use it every time we go away.

• Like 2

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links