Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Windscreen film protectors - e.g. Clearplex

Hey guys, from my experience large bonded screens with all the rain sensing gubbins end up being a fortune if they need replacement. Sure insurance will cover it, but they end up recouping it through increased premiums. So I wonder if anybody has this fitted on their cars? Is this worth it on a £5000 vehicle, especially if a replacement would a significant proportion of the total value of the car?

Your thoughts are greatly appreciated, and forgive me for the silly questions.

The UV protection mentioned only is useful on side windows as windshield is UV-A and -B protected from factory.

Changing it yearly reduces the funny part due to the cost of it.

How much the warranty will be worth is something that will have to be proven.

In the long time I have been driving in Africa and Europe (alphabetically mentioned) I have had to replace windshield only twice. Maybe just lucky?

3 hours ago, Las Palmas said:

In the long time I have been driving in Africa and Europe (alphabetically mentioned) I have had to replace windshield only twice. Maybe just lucky?

That’s exactly it, definitely feel like my luck is running out. I did not get one chip in my first 10 years of motoring! But of late the state of UK roads are getting progressively worse, lots more traffic with the same amount of maintenance. I’ve had 3-4 chips in maybe 2 years? All caused by aggressive white van man cutting hatched areas and poorly loaded construction vehicles. I’ve been fortunate that they weren’t MOT fails, but each time it happens it reminds me how much worse things are getting.

Add on to the fact that original LS430 glass is like hens teeth, and the fitter woes other people have reported, it seems worthwhile to test the waters. 

Since it sounds like nobody has tried this, so I’ll get a quote to see if it’s worth it and report back here. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ciao_chao said:

That’s exactly it, definitely feel like my luck is running out. I did not get one chip in my first 10 years of motoring! But of late the state of UK roads are getting progressively worse, lots more traffic with the same amount of maintenance. I’ve had 3-4 chips in maybe 2 years?

Since it sounds like nobody has tried this, so I’ll get a quote to see if it’s worth it and report back here. 

Wow. Did not know the roads in UK were that bad. Only used to roads in northern parts of Africa and mainland Europe. In Spain they are not as good as most western European countries; in Africa I thought roads were worse than in UK.

Looking forward to hearing what the protective film is described to be like from a member in this forum and not only how the film is praised in the adds.