Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Paint touch up advice please

Damer

My well meaning, (but clumsy/thick) son in law offered to jet wash & wash my car. He has accidentally scratched the front wing. There must have been some grit on the cloth he was using. It is about 6" long in a spiral pattern.

The car is a 2019 model with metallic black paint. Any advice on how to fix it? I don't want to T-Cut it for fear of making it worse.

Thanks

I think a lot depends on if it has gone through the clear-coat, can you feel it much with your nail?

If you can it may be best to seek professional help, I am sure the experts on here will guide you better.

1 hour ago, Bounce75 said:

I think a lot depends on if it has gone through the clear-coat, can you feel it much with your nail?

If you can it may be best to seek professional help, I am sure the experts on here will guide you better.

As I say it is a metallic black car, there are white swirls. I am livid.

There,s much better products out there than T Cut now which i wouldn,t use.I don,t think it will make it worse by trying to buff it out first.

If you can post a photo on here of what it looks like so we can help you.Touching up with paint will make it worse depending on the depth of the scratch.If its swirls as you say it could just buff/polish out.

i have heard a while ago if you wet the scratch and it disappears then its in the clear coat

and should buff out if it doesnt disappear then its too deep and needs extra paint work.

Yes you can use 2000 or 3000 wet and dry to flatten it out and then buff/polish it up again.I had some deep swirls in mine and this method worked a treat on it and can,t be seen now.Mine is Pearl Arctic White and didn,t affect the paint.

Given today’s paint types and special finishers I would personally be giving the job to an expert i.e. a decent paint/bodyshop.

The last thing you want to do is make matters worse by a DIY attempt that goes wrong resulting in further damage and expense.

Not long ago I had my front offside wing flashed in due to a tiny bit of rust near the arch. Perfect job for £150.00.

The days of T Cut and a rattle can have long gone I feel.

As to the Son in Law have you ever considered the connection between that jet washer hose and his neck before 😀

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, steve2006 said:

Given today’s paint types and special finishers I would personally be giving the job to an expert i.e. a decent paint/bodyshop.

The last thing you want to do is make matters worse by a DIY attempt that goes wrong resulting in further damage and expense.

Not long ago I had my front offside wing flashed in due to a tiny bit of rust near the arch. Perfect job for £150.00.

The days of T Cut and a rattle can have long gone I feel.

As to the Son in Law have you ever considered the connection between that jet washer hose and his neck before 😀

Car has a really nice black metallic finish and has less than 6k miles on it. I am beyond annoyed. Don't get me started on him...........

21 hours ago, 200h said:

i have heard a while ago if you wet the scratch and it disappears then its in the clear coat

and should buff out if it doesnt disappear then its too deep and needs extra paint work.

I wet the scratches and the vast majority disappear. There is a still a small area where it is visible. I think I am just going to get a professional round to look at it, at the same time my daughters metallic blue Mini Cooper that got keyed by some scrote a few months back.

unfortunately I dont think a touch up stick will help in this particular scenario, but it is always useful to have one on hand should you need to touch in small stone chips and other marks. 

https://lexuspartsdirect.co.uk/parts/lexus-ux/lexus-ux-2018-present/lexus-ux-touch-up-paint-kits/lexus-touch-up-paint-repair-kit/

3 hours ago, LexusPartsDirect said:

unfortunately I dont think a touch up stick will help in this particular scenario, but it is always useful to have one on hand should you need to touch in small stone chips and other marks. 

https://lexuspartsdirect.co.uk/parts/lexus-ux/lexus-ux-2018-present/lexus-ux-touch-up-paint-kits/lexus-touch-up-paint-repair-kit/

Too bad you do not ship outside UK. Here Lexus tell me there is no touch up for the colour 8x9.

11 hours ago, LexusPartsDirect said:

I always buy my parts from you guys.Great service as always.

• Like 1

On 4/28/2021 at 1:17 PM, Las Palmas said:

Too bad you do not ship outside UK. Here Lexus tell me there is no touch up for the colour 8x9.

We do ship outside of UK, but there are so many different costs we have to do it on a per order basis, fill this form out and put your shipping address in and we can get a quote for you. Lexus Parts Enquiry Form

1 hour ago, LexusPartsDirect said:

We do ship outside of UK, but there are so many different costs we have to do it on a per order basis, fill this form out and put your shipping address in and we can get a quote for you. Lexus Parts Enquiry Form

Sent both this and an order. Wonder what will happen now. My PayPal address is mentioned on the form I sent to you.

Thank you and have a nice day.

• 3 weeks later...
On 4/30/2021 at 11:23 AM, LexusPartsDirect said:

Hi in UK.

Thank you very much. Received the paint touch-up today.

Please tell me where I can find the words to the pictures. Sorry for not being smart enough to figure out what it all mean.

image.thumb.png.9f5978321396c15ce0ee4f81f623adcf.png       image.thumb.png.ffcba7e82742a226a9844020946a51d1.png

1 hour ago, Las Palmas said:

Lak-t.thumb.jpg.8e925ad7b6cd1a0253e3e1b548d5c6ee.jpg

Thanks, but I think I am going to get it done professionally. The scratches are tiny, but I know they are there. I've not had a metallic black car before. It looks great in the sunshine, but it shows every slight imperfection.

49 minutes ago, Damer said:

Thanks, but I think I am going to get it done professionally. The scratches are tiny, but I know they are there. I've not had a metallic black car before. It looks great in the sunshine, but it shows every slight imperfection.

I do understand that. Black is a terrible colour to get right. Not even all professionals can do that. Red is also not easy.

I just put this in here as the pictures may tell more than thousands of words, but a few words can sometimes help making sure it is correctly understood. Why the words are not put on from Lexus must be because they want more contact with customers.