Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Power Steering Idle Up Valve.

I am presently developing a repair for the Power Steering Idle Up Valves fitted to the PS Pump.

As most of us are aware over time these fail which results in PS fluid leaking through the valve, into the air induction system and then being sucked into the engine producing a cloud of white smoke on start up.

I have managed to find a method of successfully replacing the seals within the valve and build a test rig to check the repaired valve both for correct function and fluid tightness. I.E. the valve opens at the correct pressure and doesn’t leak fluid through it.

The final test is to now fit it to my car and ensure the repair is a long term reliable solution.

These valves are around £130.00 from Lexus ( my recent order for one from Amayama at £36.00 failed due to no stock) so repair is a viable option. Once satisfied with the testing I am hoping to offer this repair service on an exchange basis.

• Like 5

• 3 weeks later...

Well it’s fitted so time will now tell.

Fitting it was a complete PITA, Lexus design seems to dictate removal of more parts just to get to the faulty one.

To get a spanner on the valve the high pressure banjo connection needs removing but even after modifying a 17mm ring spanner there is insufficient space to get the downwards facing bolt out.

So working from underneath it was, the alternator now blocks access to the valve so that has to come out. Two nuts, one bolt and another electrical connector and then “ lower it out from underneath” except there are numerous hard lines and the ARB preventing this.

I eventually had to drain the radiator, remove the thermostat to radiator bottom hose and unbolt the viscous fan reservoir just to squeeze it out from the top.

Finally got access to the valve, unscrewed it and got a tray under to catch the fluid now escaping, pipes off, valve out.

It was so shot the piston literally fell out of the housing!

Reassembly was a lot quicker but still a good 3 hour job.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, steve2006 said:

Well it’s fitted so time will now tell.

Fitting it was a complete PITA, Lexus design seems to dictate removal of more parts just to get to the faulty one.

To get a spanner on the valve the high pressure banjo connection needs removing but even after modifying a 17mm ring spanner there is insufficient space to get the downwards facing bolt out.

So working from underneath it was, the alternator now blocks access to the valve so that has to come out. Two nuts, one bolt and another electrical connector and then “ lower it out from underneath” except there are numerous hard lines and the ARB preventing this.

I eventually had to drain the radiator, remove the thermostat to radiator bottom hose and unbolt the viscous fan reservoir just to squeeze it out from the top.

Finally got access to the valve, unscrewed it and got a tray under to catch the fluid now escaping, pipes off, valve out.

It was so shot the piston literally fell out of the housing!

Reassembly was a lot quicker but still a good 3 hour job.

I hope your not referring to your latest purchase!

1 hour ago, The-Acre said:

I hope your not referring to your latest purchase!

Certainly not Phil, this is on the 1994 which has been throwing white smoke now for a while on a cold start, hopefully now sorted and confirmed when I crank it over later today.

All I’ve had to do on Celsior 2 is replace the number plate LEDs as they were flickering and the driver’s side light bulb.

I can’t find anything else to do to it 😀

6 hours ago, steve2006 said:

Certainly not Phil, this is on the 1994 which has been throwing white smoke now for a while on a cold start, hopefully now sorted and confirmed when I crank it over later today.

All I’ve had to do on Celsior 2 is replace the number plate LEDs as they were flickering and the driver’s side light bulb.

I can’t find anything else to do to it 😀

You had me worried there!

11 hours ago, steve2006 said:

is replace the number plate LEDs as they were flickering and the driver’s side light bulb.

so you bought a likely MOT failure  :yahoo:

sorry, had to laugh .....  good purchase, well done ........  guess you'll rarely be reporting anything happening with the Celsior, apart from filling it with petrol from time to time :wink3:

Malc