Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content


Recommended Posts

A bit of a rant, but it drives me nuts that all this new electric stuff is touted as carbon zero, as it the car and its batteries were drawn out of thin air by virginal nymphs and elves who tread lightly on the planet, rather than made from metal that needs coal to create the base material and batteries that are going to need a lot of time and energy being recycled and magnets that mean half of China or the USA is dug up as a result (by machines that probably consume 100 gallons per meter)!!

I did wonder if and when the 'experts' were going to deal with the problem of lithium recycling (given lithium can be used to make small nuclear reactors), and so this link is interesting in that only 5% recycling going on so far. BBC News - What will happen to dead batteries.

I guess we just move one problem into a different arena, and really we are all going to need boats (not cars) to deal with rising sea levels (well out grand children will).

Me I am just going to keep pottering around warming the air rather than poisoning the soil and thank my lucky stars I got the chance to drive a 4 litre car before it becomes a crime.

Link to post
Share on other sites

12 hours ago, Mossypossy said:

Thankfully we are all only on the planet for 80+ years.

 

Well I think Steve you should live to be 100 years old👍and the last words you hear are mine 😎

Link to post
Share on other sites

12 hours ago, Cotswold Pete said:

A bit of a rant, but it drives me nuts that all this new electric stuff is touted as carbon zero, as it the car and its batteries were drawn out of thin air by virginal nymphs and elves who tread lightly on the planet, rather than made from metal that needs coal to create the base material and batteries that are going to need a lot of time and energy being recycled and magnets that mean half of China or the USA is dug up as a result (by machines that probably consume 100 gallons per meter)!!

I did wonder if and when the 'experts' were going to deal with the problem of lithium recycling (given lithium can be used to make small nuclear reactors), and so this link is interesting in that only 5% recycling going on so far. BBC News - What will happen to dead batteries.

I guess we just move one problem into a different arena, and really we are all going to need boats (not cars) to deal with rising sea levels (well out grand children will).

Me I am just going to keep pottering around warming the air rather than poisoning the soil and thank my lucky stars I got the chance to drive a 4 litre car before it becomes a crime.

Great Post 👍and of course electric cars are not about emissions at all. As you note aready a true "dust to dust" balance sheet demonstrates the fallacy of this. As to rising sea levels, cataclysmic weather events and effects etc look up the Global Warming Policy Foundation papers for some non group think information. Regarding our grandchildren well an EV world means total control over when they will be allowed to travel, how often how far. Same goes for the cashless society and smart meters. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, Phil xxkr said:

Great Post 👍and of course electric cars are not about emissions at all. As you note aready a true "dust to dust" balance sheet demonstrates the fallacy of this. As to rising sea levels, cataclysmic weather events and effects etc look up the Global Warming Policy Foundation papers for some non group think information. Regarding our grandchildren well an EV world means total control over when they will be allowed to travel, how often how far. Same goes for the cashless society and smart meters. 

Bring back the horse and programme it not to fa*t !

Link to post
Share on other sites

42 minutes ago, royoftherovers said:

Bring back the horse and programme it not to fa*t !

Oddly enough I believe that there are more horses today than in Victorian times🤔. It could well be a fart, oops sorry meant to type fact 🤣

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Divisive issue...I tried to hold my tongue but can’t help but weigh in. If 2020 has taught us one thing, that should be that we can do a lot of “essential” fave to face business remotely. Now that, is what really could make a difference.

if you’re curious about the whole carbon cost of EV manufacture, I watched this yesterday in the hopes of keeping V8s alive for a little longer. 
 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
49 minutes ago, royoftherovers said:

Bring back the horse and programme it not to fa*t !

I do believe that in Victorian London one of the reasons for the underground (and eventually buses) was that the streets were filling with horse dung, it must have been a smelly place, but then again they did not wash every day.

I think we should all go back to walking and carry a Coracle around on our backs to ford the odd river that gets in the way:hypocrite:

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, ciao_chao said:

 I watched this yesterday in the hopes of keeping V8s alive for a little longer. 

Interesting video, adds to the debate of where we should go.

On the other hand to paraphrase Keynes 'In the long run we are all dead, but 4 litres eases the journey'

  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Cotswold Pete said:

I do believe that in Victorian London one of the reasons for the underground (and eventually buses) was that the streets were filling with horse dung, it must have been a smelly place, but then again they did not wash every day.

I think we should all go back to walking and carry a Coracle around on our backs to ford the odd river that gets in the way:hypocrite:

Horse Dung is good for Roses and Rhubarb Pete ?

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Cotswold Pete said:

Interesting video, adds to the debate of where we should go.

On the other hand to paraphrase Keynes 'In the long run we are all dead, but 4 litres eases the journey'

John Maynard certainly said the former Pete, but  I`m blowed if I can remember who said the latter.

Was it Clarkson or CP ?

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, royoftherovers said:

Horse Dung is good for Roses and Rhubarb Pete ?

Have got my veg plots all dunged up, covered in black sheets to warm up, and ready soon to get the beans, carrots, courgettes (etc) going when the weather turns a little better.

Did find a bicycle buried in the garden when I moved in, maybe that was some victorian who decided less dung, more bicycles that'll get the veg growing???

  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
39 minutes ago, Cotswold Pete said:

On the other hand to paraphrase Keynes 'In the long run we are all dead, but 4 litres eases the journey'

Diesel or gasoline?

Link to post
Share on other sites
52 minutes ago, Cotswold Pete said:

Have got my veg plots all dunged up, covered in black sheets to warm up, and ready soon to get the beans, carrots, courgettes (etc) going when the weather turns a little better.

Did find a bicycle buried in the garden when I moved in, maybe that was some victorian who decided less dung, more bicycles that'll get the veg growing???

You seem well prepared Pete, were you in the Cubs ?🤣

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, royoftherovers said:

You seem well prepared Pete, were you in the Cubs ?🤣

I was in the Cubs for a few years, but then gave it up because this TV series called Star Trek came along and it was on Cub Night.

I cannot remember what badges I got, but it was good fun

Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, Las Palmas said:

Diesel or gasoline?

For me it'll be whisky

2 hours ago, royoftherovers said:

Bring back the horse and programme it not to fa*t !

Funnily enough there are actually catalytic converters for cows (at the very least), but it's for the front end emissions not rear. Maybe we could fit these to a horse?

  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Cotswold Pete said:

I was in the Cubs for a few years, but then gave it up because this TV series called Star Trek came along and it was on Cub Night.

I cannot remember what badges I got, but it was good fun

I was in the Cubs and Scouts when DRAGNET was on.

Great times they were. Be Prepared, a great Motto.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...




Forums


News


Membership