Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Questions about Multimedia System pre/post facelift

Hi all,

i'm currently helping my mum buy an IS 250 SE-L (would consider a well speccd SE-I too). The multimedia system is an important feature for the sat nav, Bluetooth (phone + music) and reverse camera. My dad has a 2010 RX 450h, and my parents love the multimedia system in it - they find it extremely easy to use, and prefer to use its sat nav over the garmin one they have. It also has Bluetooth music streaming/handsfree.

I've been looking at IS250's for a while, and my impression is that although the facelift arrived on the 09' plates onwards, the multimedia system referenced above comes on 10 plate IS250's and onwards. Most of the facelifted SE-L's i've seen are 58/09/59 plates, which still feature the older multimedia system. 

Would it be possible to buy a 2005 - 2009  IS 250 with the older multimedia system, and upgrade it to the 2010/11 system? Or should i just keep looking for a 2010 SE-L (or possible settle for a SE-I?)

Thanks

Hi as I understand the system it is not possible to upgrade the older system ,the newer unit is based around a hard disc system and the sat nav upgrades etc are dealer only via a laptop download .I think you will benefit from the later models upgrades , I am very pleased with my 2011 SEL system although some people do not rate the sat nav set up .I find it OK as it has a full post code function and we have done many Continental tours with no problems. Just keep searching there is a car out there for you but you may have to travel ;I live in Morecambe and purchased mine in Cambridge ( although a convertible was more difficult to find )

good luck. Dave

I have an 07 250 and have fitted a VL-2 unit which ( using android) brings the infotainment system bang upto date, you can install google maps, Waze,TomTom, whatever you wanna use, it is let down though by the limitations of the screen technology ie. no ‘Pinch’ option etc and the definition. Although a plus is the fact that the dash still looks completely factory.

16 hours ago, true blue said:

Hi as I understand the system it is not possible to upgrade the older system ,the newer unit is based around a hard disc system and the sat nav upgrades etc are dealer only via a laptop download .I think you will benefit from the later models upgrades , I am very pleased with my 2011 SEL system although some people do not rate the sat nav set up .I find it OK as it has a full post code function and we have done many continental tours with no problems. Just keep searching there is a car out there for you but you may have to travel ;I live in Morecambe and purchased mine in Cambridge ( although a convertible was more difficult to find )

good luck. Dave

okay, fair enough - looks like it'll be a 10 plate or newer for me. I'll keep looking, but eventually may just settle for an SE-I as there's a few of those on autotrader atm. The convertible is a beauty though, so congrats on your find 🙂

4 hours ago, Texas said:

I have an 07 250 and have fitted a VL-2 unit which ( using android) brings the infotainment system bang upto date, you can install google maps, Waze,TomTom, whatever you wanna use, it is let down though by the limitations of the screen technology ie. no ‘Pinch’ option etc and the definition. Although a plus is the fact that the dash still looks completely factory.

thanks for the suggestion.

that would be my go to move if it was for me, however my parents aren't the best with technology and would prefer the 2010 Multimedia system. Its looking like there's a few 2010 SE-I's for sale with that MM system, so i may just go with one of those.

Hi there. I don't think the gen 2 is250 multimedia system allows music streaming. Gen 3 definitely yes. SE-L spec is the one to go for. In the arm rest cubby hole is a 12v power socket and an AUX socket. I have Bluetooth music streaming made capable by buying a Bluetooth adapter and putting it in that cubby hole. Leave and forget. It connects to my phone within 2 seconds of starting my car. If you're interested I'll post just what is needed. It's child's play really. 

11 hours ago, Mr Vlad said:

Hi there. I don't think the gen 2 is250 multimedia system allows music streaming. Gen 3 definitely yes. SE-L spec is the one to go for. In the arm rest cubby hole is a 12v power socket and an AUX socket. I have Bluetooth music streaming made capable by buying a Bluetooth adapter and putting it in that cubby hole. Leave and forget. It connects to my phone within 2 seconds of starting my car. If you're interested I'll post just what is needed. It's child's play really. 

Bluetooth audio streaming was fitted to 2IS models from around 2010 I think , or maybe even earlier when the upgraded HDD systems were fitted. Our MY2011 SE-L with the Full Map option was fitted with it and it worked well. 

On 4/28/2021 at 7:56 PM, Mr Vlad said:

hey, any chance you could link the BT adapter? If it's easy enough to use i may consider it...

Bit late to the party but vehicles from 2005 to 2008 didn’t come with Bluetooth streaming but this could be easily achieved via a third party accessory to plug into the aux connection or the stereo directly.

2009 onwards came with Bluetooth music streaming, you can tell this because the infotainment screen came in white instead of the black which was pre2009. I’ve just bought a 2009 IS250C for my mum and that came with the new style infotainment with an iPod / Iphone connection and Bluetooth music streaming. 

Hope this helps!

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links