Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

300h from IS250 owners - opinions please!

1 minute ago, MartinH said:

Goodness, you evidently need that new bike m8! Go on, treat yourself! 

PS: 28mm tyres!

28mm....am old fashioned, 19mm was the way to go before all this 'comfort' rubbish started 😄

• Haha 1

12 hours ago, MartinH said:

It was I who mentioned this. And the reason club rides generally go out early on a Sunday is that we avoid the traffic, and the traffic avoids us. Our aim is to get out in to the lanes, where we hope to avoid vehicle traffic, as soon as we can. And we appreciate the drivers who slow or even pause to let us come on through safely, rather than barrelling through. Why are you in such a hurry? Dwelling for another 30 seconds in your Lexus — a good place to be! — is surely not such an affront, especially when by doing so you afford a civil gesture towards a group of your fellow citizens.

I'm a cyclist (two road bikes) on 23mm's :wink: I also tour for weeks on end abroad and in the UK with a tent and panniers on 28mm...apologies saw the tyre posts above and couldn't resist. I'm not a club rider but fully agree with your post. The most stressful part of my ride is leaving the town into the country lanes and the return. People don't understand that cyclists don't want to hold up motorists, most cyclists are actually motorists ! Its quite funny how motorists will slow and give a horse a wide birth (and rarely moan about it) yet when they see a cyclist they just have one thing in mind and that is to get by them, no matter what and usually as quickly as possible ( and they'll pop on places like this and moan about it/ them /oh yeah and lycra )

You can feel the tension build behind and when it does some drivers do some crazy things. As a solo cyclist its rarely a problem, on some of my narrow routes I'll pull in and let them pass (I quite often have no choice with tractors and heavy machinery) as I'd rather have Mr Impatient ahead of me than behind.

I'm really not sure what the etiquette is on club rides. In a former career we would always get the same persistent moaners complaining about the local club ride blocking the road, however as you say what's 30 seconds and the chances of following the same route are pretty remote. Anyway I've digressed again, good to see some other cyclists on here offering an alternative opinion. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Moleman said:

In any situation you can have and see fault on both sides, but when you have been provided with purpose built facilities for your safety why would you choose to create an issue by not using them? 🤔

I can offer a nuanced explanation of this. But is this the right place to present it?

What I object to is a local cycling club riding too many abreast and occupying more than half the road and then expecting car drivers to move into the verge and come to a stop to let them pass. I’m all for showing courtesy and manners to every road user. I do this all the time. Unfortunately this particular cycling club shows no manners to any road user in motorised vehicles.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, paulrnx said:

What I object to is a local cycling club riding too many abreast and occupying more than half the road and then expecting car drivers to move into the verge and come to a stop to let them pass. I’m all for showing courtesy and manners to every road user. I do this all the time. Unfortunately this particular cycling club shows no manners to any road user in motorised vehicles.

I doubt it is only your local cycling club which does that... 

19 hours ago, doog442 said:

Anyway I've digressed again, good to see some other cyclists on here offering an alternative opinion. 

What I find odd is the attitude some people do seem to have against cyclists - almost to the point of hatred, I suspect alot of it is just the macho bravado the anommnilty the internet allows, because when out of the road I rarely actually see motorist going out of their way to make life difficult for cyclists.

You than come to the bikes themselves, I think we can all agree on the sheer build quality and engineering dedication Lexus puts into all their cars. Reliability and build longevity is the best about our IS300H.

If you can appreciate the build quality of any Lexus, than surely you can do the same about something like a Pinarrelo Dogma?? I mean just look at it, its a triumph of engineering and design, a work of art.

How or why anyone would find negative emotions to associate with something this beautiful I honestly have no idea!.......I would also love a Dogma, but am about £10k short on the budget front 🤣.

Dogma.jpg_1df19f57321748897dcb23ef2eb6d5

Cyclists should be taken out and shot in front of their families*, and this comes from someone who spent years cycling everywhere before getting his first car, and being knocked off it on a busy roundabout by a known felon. I remember the days when the Fenland Clarions used to do time trials down the A1 at weekends. Now that was considerate of them. Sundays are always fun in these parts as they cycle two abreast down the relatively busy and undulating B roads holding the traffic up. People say "well, where else do you expect these middle aged fools to ponce about in their tightly fitting lycra body suits?" Have they not seen the ads for Peloton?

(* (c) J Clarkson esq)

4 hours ago, ganzoom said:

Dogma.jpg_1df19f57321748897dcb23ef2eb6d5

That is Indeed a work of art. 

I had a lovely ride yesterday. Only 36 miles but the motoring public were extremely courteous. If I'm in the unfortunate position of lawfully being on a road and have the temerity to hold up their precious journey by more than 30 seconds or so I give a small acknowledgment as they pass, thanking them for their patience. Most reciprocate but rarely school run mums.  These drivers appear so incapable of organising their private life that picking up Tarquin is an excuse to gain back some precious minutes in their day. In the same way the poor unfortunates above avoid the club run, I try my hardest to avoid school closing time. :wink:

I do find that things are actually improving, slowly. I'm not sure if some of the neanderthals who would usually find a reason to have a go are aware that they could well be being filmed nowadays. Of course your Internet keyboard warriors are usually just that as you state, often to be found in the comments section of our local rag when a new cycle lane or scheme is announced. Strangely enough lycra usually comes into it:biggrin:.

5 minutes ago, Mincey said:

This channel is second only to the "BMWs getting stuck in a ford" channel:

Despite car driver being ****, technically pedestrian is committing an offence himself (road obstruction...), unless he is off-duty police officer or something like that. You cannot fight crime, by committing crime. 

I wouldn't have rammed him, I would have knocked him uncourteous and that is it (completely legal considering he is committing offence)... although I wouldn't have driven wrong way around safety island, so perhaps I would have never found myself in such situation.

Leave police job for police...

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Linas.P said:

I wouldn't have rammed him, I would have knocked him uncourteous and that is it (completely legal considering he is committing offence)

It's one thing for Linas to say he would drive 100mph in a 50 mph zone. But saying he would knock another road user unconscious (I imagine that's what he means) if they were stationary on the road seems a bit too extreme to be even slightly amusing. 

8 minutes ago, Thackeray said:

It's one thing for Linas to say he would drive 100mph in a 50 mph zone. But saying he would knock another road user unconscious (I imagine that's what he means) if they were stationary on the road seems a bit too extreme to be even slightly amusing. 

He is not road user, he is just illegally obstructing the road (committing the crime). If he would as well try to stop the driver from leaving (which I have seen in few cases), then he would be as well committing criminal offense (false imprisonment) and for that you have right to self-defend. In this case false imprisonment would be stretch considering the guy is not trying to block the car from reversing and merely says to go back, but he is still obstructing the road and committing the crime nonetheless.

As for speed - I just said I would drive at the speed which is appropriate for the condition, whatever that may be.

As well I am not condoning what the car driver was doing in this case and I would not do that myself. However, I am sick of "wannabe policeman" who think they have a right to jump into the street and tell the drivers where to go and what to do. His crim in this case is equal to the crime of the driver. I would hope that police had him fines as well as the driver (but sadly we know that is not the case). 

It's interesting to investigate the various features on this website. I'd noticed one option that is called "Ignored Users". I didn't know what it did so I thought I would try it. It works really well. Any user whose posts you don't want to waste your life reading simply disappear from the thread! It's great! I recommend it!

32 minutes ago, Thackeray said:

It's interesting to investigate the various features on this website. I'd noticed one option that is called "Ignored Users". I didn't know what it did so I thought I would try it. It works really well. Any user whose posts you don't want to waste your life reading simply disappear from the thread! It's great!! I recommend it!

Yeah and you proceed responding to me and quoting me from the other thread. I am sure both of us will be happier if you use this function.

25 minutes ago, Thackeray said:

It's interesting to investigate the various features on this website. I'd noticed one option that is called "Ignored Users". I didn't know what it did so I thought I would try it. It works really well. Any user whose posts you don't want to waste your life reading simply disappear from the thread! It's great! I recommend it!

A really smart move William, but as is bound to happen it would indeed be your really bad luck to miss that priceless, that once every Oberammergau Passion Play moment when words of wisdom give a vague hint that somewhere deep down in his body there is a functioning brain.🤣

• Haha 1

There are many different types of cyclists. Children peddling about , people riding old slow bikes going to the butcher, and so on. All relatively slow and predictable. And then there are the racers on racebikes wearing racy lycra gear and mostly in groups small or large. The problem is their speed and total silence. When in a car you dont expect them, all of a sudden they are there arriving at 20 mph or more and no intention to slow down as they are in a group and a certain agressive group mentality takes over. Shouting insults at everybody that stands in their way. The road is theirs. I had various interactions with gentlemen like this and none of them pleasant. I hit the brakes come to a standstill but even that is wrong as i am in their path. And they are gone before you know what happened. So yes i do understand the clarksonesque idea although i am not a fan of violence. However not all cyclists are thesame, the vast majority is just fine.  I havent started about the latest craze, the speed pedelecs..

4 minutes ago, dutchie01 said:

the speed pedelecs..

Yes - absolutely bonkers, electric "bicycle" with speed of 30mph and realistically not way of stopping and usually in a hands of person who has no clue about road rules. Seem to me they should be governed under similar rules as electric motorbikes for it to make any sense, but goverment is only interested in legislating the cars. You see - only the car drivers could be realistically enforced an monetised. 

Even more terrifying are the electric scooters, as they have no official rules to follow, at least in UK they are illegal and driving one on the road could result in it being confiscated. Sadly not much enforcement of that outside of central London. As well it seems they are mostly used by the types who don't mind committing the crimes and who are looking for trouble (by definition, as they committing the crime by even being on the road and they know it).

As for racy cyclist not stopping - yes they won't because the can't. Which bring me to the point - maybe they should not be allowed to cycle on the public road on bicycle which is so racy that it could not even stop. Like we do not allow race cars/bikes on the road , maybe hyper light race bikes should not be allowed either and certain tyre width/stopping power should be mandated for any bicycle using public roads.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Thackeray said:

Indeed, I utilised this function on this thread after making the mistake of engaging with them again. Apart from your quote I can only guess what the Individual concerned is raging on about now, the fact it allegedly involves violence is nothing new. 

spacer.png

I don’t hate cyclists at all. Usual social media sensationalism on here. You say something negative about something and people automatically think it’s hatred. A bit ridiculous really. I take steps to avoid where and when the particular cycling club I mentioned cycles. Perfectly reasonable I’d say.

On 5/14/2021 at 10:14 AM, doog442 said:

Its quite funny how motorists will slow and give a horse a wide birth (and rarely moan about it) yet when they see a cyclist they just have one thing in mind and that is to get by them, no matter what and usually as quickly as possible ( and they'll pop on places like this and moan about it/ them /oh yeah and lycra )

Like many of us, I suspect, I was a cyclist long before I became a motorist.  And clearly ALL overtaking should be done ‘as quickly as possible’  but not ‘no matter what’.  But having grown up in London and now having lived in the countryside for some decades, there seems to be a distinct difference between the relationships between motorists and cyclists- and horses and pedestrians, come to that.

With the odd exception, there is simply more tolerance.  Around our country lanes I have seen - and recorded - more examples of bad driving than cycling.  There is more willingness for drivers to wave cars out of a side road and allow them to join a line of traffic; not so common in London, for example.

And the reason why motorists are more inclined to gives horses a wide berth is quite simple - self interest.  I used to do a lot of horse riding, especially along the narrow, winding roads around Epping Forest.  

It was our practice, with the advantage of our high viewpoint, to hold back overtaking cars if we could see cars approaching uphill round a bend.  I recall one saloon driver who decided to overtake anyway only to encounter an oncoming car on a bend.  He pulled in sharply, clipping the hooves of over half a ton of ex-race horse, who expressed his displeasure by firmly planting both rear hooves into the side of the car and lifting it across the road.

Fortunately, perhaps, this is not a recourse available to the average cyclist.  🙂

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Thackeray said:

I'd noticed one option that is called "Ignored Users". I didn't know what it did so I thought I would try it. It works really well. Any user whose posts you don't want to waste your life reading simply disappear from the thread! It's great! I recommend it!

Having now discovered that such an option exists, I shall now ignore it.  I find that works equally well with posts with which I disagree.  Quite why anyone feels the need to remove actual posters is a puzzle to me.

I would have thought that was the antithesis of ‘free speech’.

Why not just disagree and move on?  My personal philosophy has always been that a good idea doesn’t care who has it.  It is often the case that tucked away within a ‘rant’ with which one disagrees is another idea that one would wholly support.  

Deleting a contributor entirely surely eliminates the possibility not only of benefiting from the odd gem but also of engaging in debate.  After all, if one cannot mount a coherent argument against another poster’s claim, then the possibility that they might be right has to be considered!

If the debate is too tedious, then don’t do it.  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, LenT said:

If the debate is too tedious, then don’t do it.  

Its only a debate if the subject matter been debate is reasonable, some of the stuff people have written on here is at the level of what my 5 year old has with friends on the school playground.

Actually that's doing the kids a disservice, they are quite sensible at pointing out ridiculous things that make no sense :).

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links