Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

K&N indiction kit upgrade

Johnlex

Oh really that’s all ? It says it offers extra 12bhp ? Yes louder raw and. 
ive found it cheapest £316 but even that’s a lot. I have seen and posted videos where you can modify the original box by cutting a whole and removing  the fins to make it the equivalent as the f sport. 

It doesn't increase power or fuel economy, none of those claims have ever been proven. If you understand how the systems work it will be obvious, the ECU will keep the fuel/air mixture at 14.6:1, all you're doing is adding noise and potentially increasing the odds of dirt getting into the engine due to the filter being more open than it should be.

• Like 1

Spark plugs? Oil change? 😄

Seriously, if Lexus thought they could get an extra 15bhp or an extra 5mpg by fitted one of those K&N air filters they'd have done it at the factory. Your best bet for both performance and economy is to keep the car as close to its original factory condition as possible.

@m4rkw it has full service history had oil change done in January and plugs changed at 63000 miles

in 2013 and the car is currently on 97,000 Also I have extended warranty till January 2023 

2 hours ago, Johnlex said:

@m4rkw it has full service history had oil change done in January and plugs changed at 63000 miles

in 2013 and the car is currently on 97,000 Also I have extended warranty till January 2023 

Keep it that way, is the best advice I can give.

I was in a company selling these and we had them in several cars. No more power at all.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Johnlex said:

Has anybody modified the air intake with a k&n induction kit. I’ve been looking at this one. But want to know results and if it’s worth the money ? 

The main 'benefit' to these is the intake noise you get. If that is something you want then go for it.

Power benefits aren't really there on its own - the standard system isn't that restrictive, nor does the air get excessively heated by the engine to benefit from a colder supply. If you were doing it in conjunction with a free flow exhaust and de-cat then you may start to see benefits from modifying the intake but you are never going to get much of a power increase from the 250 engine other than forced induction (turbo or supercharger).

• Like 2

I have an f sport one on my 250 f sport,there was an f sport one f sale on here a few weeks ago,think the owner sold for 250 in the end 

Screenshot_20210430-102004_Edge.jpg

If you look to the right of the factory intake tube you'll see there's a little plastic chamber connected to it. These are called a Helmholtz resonator. Without going into too much detailed, they're used to improve air intake efficiency by cancelling about pressure waves that travel back up the intake tube when the intake valve closes. They're a simple but very clever device. When these are removed the increase in noise is because these pressure wave pulses now travel back up the full intake tube and are audible. The amplification in noise actually indicates inefficiency. As said above, Lexus/Toyota engineering is excellent and its rare they cut corners on design. Performance and efficiency go hand in hand so it benefits manufacturers to design engines with as much performance as is feasible for design constraints/budget etc.

20210430_120103.thumb.jpg.ae87fbe05a5ce708020c48317098e880.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Nice one Danny. I didn't know what that was. Mind you I've seen I've seen a video or 2 where the guy/guys state that that part isn't necessary. I forget what they were doing but I appreciate you telling us what that box thing is.

I might out of interest and experimentation remove that resonator and block any hole it's made just to see the difference/differences. 

After all the comments I still think I might go ahead and get the K&n I’ve not heard anyone me say they’ve got one jus negative views. It’s only money and it’s fun playing around with cars 😂 

• Like 1

In my case I managed to get my f sport intake/ induction kit relatively cheaper than the usual price of over 300 quid,and to be honest consider it worth every penny if just for the sound alone lol 😆 

20 hours ago, Johnlex said:

After all the comments I still think I might go ahead and get the K&n I’ve not heard anyone me say they’ve got one jus negative views. It’s only money and it’s fun playing around with cars 😂 

You might want to google a bit for "K&N" "check engine light" and your particular model. Not saying it will definitely happen but it seems quite common for these things to cause check engine lights.

12 minutes ago, Johnlex said:

@m4rkw engine light??? this is an exact part specifically designed for the lexus is 250 engine, check the website and see the pdf 

https://www.knfilters.co.uk/69-8701tp-performance-air-intake-system

No doubt that's true, however it's mentioned as a possibility on their own FAQ: https://www.knfilters.com/faq/

And the internet is awash with reports of this happening: https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=k%26n+air+filter+check+engine+light&client=safari&source=hp&ei=IKmNYIXNIIWSlwSQq62oBQ&iflsig=AINFCbYAAAAAYI23MDobU8jt7jSiPxgMl0tWGHuWgfwO&oq=k%26n+air+filter+check+engine+light&gs_lcp=Cgdnd3Mtd2l6EAMyAggAMgYIABAWEB46CAguELEDEJMCOgUIABCxAzoLCC4QsQMQxwEQowI6BQguELEDOgIILjoICC4QsQMQgwE6CAgAELEDEIMBOggIABDqAhCPAToFCC4QkwI6CwguELEDEIMBEJMCOg4ILhCxAxCDARDHARCvAToHCAAQsQMQCjoICC4QxwEQrwE6BAgAEA1QhgxYxFtgqFxoKnAAeACAAXuIAesdkgEENzIuMZgBAKABAaoBB2d3cy13aXqwAQk&sclient=gws-wiz&ved=0ahUKEwiF3bKPmanwAhUFyYUKHZBVC1UQ4dUDCA4&uact=5

Hopefully it doesn't happen on the IS250 at all, or extremely rarely, I'm just saying you might want to check before spending all that money.

21 hours ago, Johnlex said:

Do it. It's your money, your car. Have fun!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Johnlex said:

@m4rkw engine light??? this is an exact part specifically designed for the lexus is 250 engine, check the website and see the pdf 

https://www.knfilters.co.uk/69-8701tp-performance-air-intake-system

CEL with a K&N filter is normally due to the owner using too much oil when they clean the filter which coats the MAF sensor. If you purchase new then the filter should be pre-oiled so you shouldn't have an issue, at least not initially.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links