Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Going from staggered wheels to same size wheels all round.

I'd appreciate advice from anybody regarding switching from 'staggered' wheels to one size wheels on my 2011 Lexus Is 250, the only difference being I want the

rear size (255/40/R18) all the way round. The reason I want to try this is I came across a tyre website-www.tirebuyer.com/education/staggered-vs-square-tire-wheel-setups

which advised this for better grip etc. I would love to know if anybody has already tried this,with what,if any,results. Ijust want to mention the website didn't mention rubbingat the front.

48 minutes ago, Dave69 said:

I'd appreciate advice from anybody regarding switching from 'staggered' wheels to one size wheels on my 2011 Lexus Is 250, the only difference being I want the

rear size (255/40/R18) all the way round. The reason I want to try this is I came across a tyre website-www.tirebuyer.com/education/staggered-vs-square-tire-wheel-setups

which advised this for better grip etc. I would love to know if anybody has already tried this,with what,if any,results. Ijust want to mention the website didn't mention rubbingat the front.

I do not have an IS but have had several power cars with different size front- and rearwheels.

Only power cars where same size front and rear are usefull is 4-wheel-drive.

Most extreme I had was a "home made" (not really street legal) with 205 wide front and 285 rear. When going to inspection with the car I had 185 on all 4 wheels in order to let it drive on streets again.

16 hours ago, Dave69 said:

Sadly, this is not possible - first of all 255 won't clear front arches, secondly if you have 18" wheels, it is not only tyres which are staggered, but the wheels themselves are different width and 255 are just too wide for 8" rim.

Finally, what the website is suggesting is non-sense or at least should not be taken literally. Yes perhaps putting 255 on the front of IS-F would make some sense, but 255 are generally overkill for IS250... car does not have enough power to take advantage even of 225, nevermind 255.

If you want to go for square set-up, then you should be looking at 225 or 235 all around. This is by the way what AWD IS250 uses. The only issue with this set-up - your rear wheels will be very far in and will look little bit silly and you will have excessive wear on the rear axle, or at least it will wear much faster than front. Obviously if you rotate the tyres regularly (which you will be able to do due to square set-up) then it may work.

In short - I can see benefits going square, but not 255. At most you can get 235s all around without having any issues.

Hi when I purchased my is250c just over 3 years old and 1 owner it had been fitted with 225 x 18  GS wheels all round ,noted on the Lexus service record but I don't know why.These wheels have been on ever since and I am now on my 3rd set of tyres. The set up when new was staggered and I have had no problems on wear, alignment or handling .I did look at 235 but the fronts rubbed on full lock 

Dave

I went to 235 35 19 all round. No issues at all but if I was to go any wider on the front I'd have to shave my universal mud flaps. 

You could always swap a rear wheel with the front and you would soon know if it will clear. 

Hi Linas 40 profile ,when I took the car in for tyres I also had 1 spare 18 in Lexus wheel which I take with me on Continental holidays fitted with 40 profile the fitter tried it on 1 front while the car was in the air and decided it was too close for safety so 225 40 18 fitted 

Dave

I have switched from staggered F Sport wheels to aftermarket wheels 18 x 8 ET40 with tires 225/40R18 all around. Reason is I want to run all-season tires (Kleber Quadraxer).