Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

LS 430 - Leaking radiator and the sunroof opens by itself... like magic ?

Hi all, My LS 430 is a 2000, full history and only 93k on the clock, its a lovely thing.

Whilst changing the cam belts and water pump I noticed the radiator was looking a bit shot so I ordered a new one. What arrived was identical to the old one except for the fact that it doesn’t have the take off for the expansion tank. Green circle in the picture.  Has anyone else had this problem and is there are work around? For example can you use the radiator cap vent pipe?

The only other thing Ive not been able to sort so far is the mystery of the self opening sunroof. It works great, opens and closes easily but every now and again it will decide that it wants to open, all on its own. I’ll be driving along and then, hello outdoors... .... the roof is open. It closes again on the button but because I have no idea what is causing I’ve removed the fuse for now. Anyone know what it might be doing this?

Thanks for any and all help and suggestions. 

05CD8E68-2AF7-43E7-B392-57E49BBCF2D1.jpeg

There is only one part number listed for the radiator and the exploded diagram doesn’t show the expansion bottle take off point.

Having looked at a couple of videos it would appear the expansion bottle rubber pipe connects onto the fitting where the radiator cap goes.

Apologies for the picture quality, video screen shots.

606CF989-172B-42CF-AC9D-AD6DE1885502.jpeg

D3B2BF1E-60B3-47A4-8EE2-6297FA33A895.png

• 3 weeks later...

Finally checked back with the manual, and something I noticed, is there are differences to the expansion tank with Type A and Type B cars, maybe that’s something to do with this? I’m really curious what the differences are, because it’s really thin on information. I know the second generation UCF20 Celsior came in A,B, and C specs if this is something similar?

On 5/1/2021 at 12:12 PM, LS 430 A Lovely thing said:

The only other thing Ive not been able to sort so far is the mystery of the self opening sunroof. It works great, opens and closes easily but every now and again it will decide that it wants to open, all on its own. I’ll be driving along and then, hello outdoors... .... the roof is open. It closes again on the button but because I have no idea what is causing I’ve removed the fuse for now. Anyone know what it might be doing this?

Thanks for any and all help and suggestions. 

Snap.

I took the fuse out on my RX.

Investigations suggest it's a known problem - a faulty switch.

Not sure I'll risk the expense at the moment...

1 hour ago, ciao_chao said:

Finally checked back with the manual, and something I noticed, is there are differences to the expansion tank with Type A and Type B cars, maybe that’s something to do with this? I’m really curious what the differences are, because it’s really thin on information. I know the second generation UCF20 Celsior came in A,B, and C specs if this is something similar?

The A,B,C and C-F specification JDM Celsiors refer the the various trim options for example leather or wool seats.

Mechanically with the exception of air or spring suspension they are all the same.

• Like 1