Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Supplier for Bonnet Struts and Shock Absorbers

I'm looking for recommendations on suppliers for the above items for my GS300 year 2007. A quick search finds the following: lexuspartsdirect.co.uk shows the bonnet struts at £141.41 each and https://www.autodoc.co.uk/car-parts/bonnet-struts-11877/lexus/gs shows various brands at prices from £11 to £70 each. On eBay about £15 for a pair https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/171997839319?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649. So a massive difference in price and I presume quality.

The shock absorbers at lexuspartsdirect.co.uk are £219.04 each, not searched anywhere else yet. Reason for pricing the shock absorbers is that the front offside has been noted as misting due to slight oil leak when the car was serviced this week by my indy and they said to wait and see what it is like in another 12 months, but just thought I'd price up whilst getting a price for the bonnet struts. The shock absorber(s) would be fitted by the indy bit I reckon I could do the bonnet struts myself. BTW, is it best practice to replace bonnet struts and shock absorbers in pairs rather than just one side?

I replaced my two front shocks about 18 months ago and used Buycarparts.co.uk, they sell KYB shocks who are the manufacturer of the original shocks fitted from the factory.

Also i have replaced my bonnet and boot struts and used the same website, i went for the Monroe branded struts there around £10 each

For the cost of the bonnet struts i would replace in pairs, and as for shock absorbers well that is a whole argument in itself i bet there is arguments for both sides if you google searched it but personally i would say yes.

For what its worth if we had cars in warranty and we went the dealer for a leaking shock under warranty only the defective leaking shock would be replaced.

Hope that helps.

• Thanks 1

Thanks guys

I checked buycarparts.co.uk and the bonnet struts are priced from £10.28 pair up to £48.90 pair plus delivery of £8.45 but KYB brand not offered. I will check the current price for the regassing to compare. Massive savings on lexuspartsdirect.co.uk.

The KYB shock absorbers are available at £100.45 each + delivery charge, so these work out about half the price from lexuspartsdirect.co.uk.

BTW, just in case you didn't know, I just discovered buycarparts.co.uk and autodoc.co.uk websites are the same company and based in Germany. I'll have to check if there is any import duty to pay. Many thanks for the info.

3 hours ago, JeffL said:

if there is any import duty to pay.

I think it depends on the overall delivered price of the goods but it might involve ......  carriage, Customs Duty .......  and VAT ... and a documentation handling charge too .  maybe £10/12 or so

Malc

• Thanks 1