Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

No audio/ volume/sound..from head unit.

Ok looked at a Lexus today.. the  head unit works but there is no sound... Looking on the net it looks like the amp has failed.. is there any way to test it is actually the amp?

It's likely to be the amp but not a certainty. Try pushing the amp connector/wires to see if it's a common connection issue. Search for similar audio issues here and you will get a feel for whether it's likely to be the amp or not. If inspection of the car and its history reveals no other problems then it wouldn't concern me, indeed it might be an opportunity to acquire a good car at a discount.

27 minutes ago, Neil E said:

It's likely to be the amp but not a certainty. Try pushing the amp connector/wires to see if it's a common connection issue. Search for similar audio issues here and you will get a feel for whether it's likely to be the amp or not. If inspection of the car and its history reveals no other problems then it wouldn't concern me, indeed it might be an opportunity to acquire a good car at a discount.

Everything about the car is spot on . Just no sound from the speakers.....🤔

• Like 1

All you can really check are the 2 12 volt supplies and the ground. If they are all present and correct chances are the amp has an internal fault.

Due to the location of the amp it is subjected to moisture which eventually destroys them.

Dependent on which system is fitted you can pick secondhand Pioneer units up from £50.00 but the Levinson units fetch a hundred plus.

If you do buy I would be happy to check the amp for you.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Lots of threads (failures !) of this amp on the US owners site, ClubLexus as there are a lot more IS 250/350/ISF’s over ‘there’ .

.....so you’ll have to initialise the windows/sunroof now then! Or other windows won’t operate from drivers door switch panel.

67B6043E-63D8-4808-9035-49570B4DDC97.png

• Like 1

Well... The audio was hit n miss yesterday.. disconnected the amp ... gave it a blow dry with the hairdryer, disconnected the  Battery and checked all fuses.. reconnect everything and it worked.. then didn't... Left it over night and today it's worked every time we have tried it...so see how long it lasts..

Has anyone done a mod to stop the amp from condensating/ cutting out.. I've seen in YouTube someone repositioning the amp in the boot above the plastic tray.. didn't know if anyone had insulated the area...?

You have to find out what's wrong with the amp/wiring to know what to do. If moisture has damaged it, can it be repaired or is it best to replace it with a good one and then find a way to protect it from the elements. Have you removed the amp cover to inspect it properly?

Well... The audio was hit n miss yesterday.. disconnected the amp ... gave it a blow dry with the hairdryer, disconnected the  Battery and checked all fuses.. reconnect everything and it worked.. then didn't... Left it over night and today it's worked every time we have tried it...so see how long it lasts..

Has anyone done a mod to stop the amp from condensating/ cutting out.. I've seen in YouTube someone repositioning the amp in the boot above the plastic tray.. didn't know if anyone had insulated the area...?

We don't know why it's started working again.. we removed and checked fuses. And disconnect the amp.. but we have not had the amp out . Tbh it's really clean and dry in the compartment.. the car has only 16k miles on the clock..

On 5/5/2021 at 7:57 AM, steve2006 said:

Vidal Sassoon has a lot to answer for 😀 

May be not.. the audio stopped again today..doing a diagnostic through the on-board system...it throws up the code to the amp..I have located a replacement amp and hopefully picking it up tomorrow, so we'll see how we go..

If the replacement amplifier sorts the problem I would love to take a look at the faulty one, if the fault can be found and fixed for a reasonable cost it would help a lot of members.

• Like 1

+1 on getting amongst the old amp and checking it out, could be something as simple as a blown capacitor ( easy/cheap fix) but I would definitely be inquisitive enough to get inside if the replacement one cures it!

I will look at passing the used unit on if all goes well .......we haven't got the unit out as yet ... Can anyone confirm the part number? 2010 sel i .

We'll today turned into a farce ... Picked up an amp from the scrappers yesterday.. having gone through 247spares.co.uk  gave the details reg etc of the car and collected.. today the auto electrician arrives and the original amp is working.....so he cannot fault find.. on top of that the part from the scrappers is a different amp.. original amp p/n ends 150.. the one from the scrappers ends 110.. completely different connections.... One of those days... So back to the scrappers for a refund ...🤬🤬🤬

On 5/6/2021 at 9:28 PM, Steve67 said:

I will look at passing the used unit on if all goes well .......we haven't got the unit out as yet ... Can anyone confirm the part number? 2010 sel i .

7B69F8D7-B385-42C9-BE8B-D458FC6476FD.png

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Just an update.. the original amp started working and is 'touch wood' still working...we are assuming as the car was hardly used the amp has taken time to get up to operating temperature...... I've probably cursed it now 😂😳

• 2 weeks later...

well the audio is still working, so it must have been a very cold / unused amp..( old lady shopping car)

the car has had a full service and is running sweet, but with only16k mile it should...

IMG_20210530_130724.jpg

IMG_20210530_130710.jpg

IMG_20210530_130605.jpg