Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Mary worker

Hi, I’ve had my 2006 RX400 for about 6 months now, absolutely love it.  We’ve had the wheels redone and the car is up to speed.  
move got a couple of questions.  I’m getting averagely 23 to the gallon, mainly short journeys, does this sound right?  
also, my Iphone keeps disconnecting from the car, has anybody else found this? 
thanks, Mary

Hi Mary and welcome to Lexus ownership and the best Lexus forum there is. Nearest car I've had to yours was a RX450H. On short journey low 20's so yours looks about right. With yours being a 2006 the Bluetooth may have an issue with your much up to date phone. If you look within the forum I recommend you get an aftermarket Bluetooth adapter which plugs into the rear of the radio unit. Sounds scary but look on YouTube on removing the radio. It's very easy. The Bluetooth adapter recommend and used by a few on this forum is

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Bluetooth-Audio-Music-Adapter-LEXUS-IS-ISF-GS-RX-LS-300-350-400-H-/264004475652?_trksid=p2349624.m46890.l49286

The beauty of this unit is you'll be able to stream music which is a bonus.

• Thanks 1

Welcome Mary 🙂

How short are your journeys? I averaged around 32 mpg in mine but my journeys where mainly 10+ miles to/from work, and around 28 mpg on motorways. 23 mpg seems a little low.

• Thanks 1

Welcome to the LOC. I am averaging around 26 mpg on very short local journeys. Do you like to accelerate fast? Hybrids benefit from a different driving style, that  you might use with an ordinary petrol or diesel engine car. When was the car last serviced? Have you had the hybrid battery check done at a Lexus dealer?

Some things you might consider. Your mpg does seem to be rather low.

Thank you for your warm welcomes!  My journeys are very short, especially during Covid, mostly under 10 miles, but now I’m going further afield, It’s gone up to 24.9, still less than I’d expect even from a a 3 litre engine!  Thanks for the tip re the Bluetooth, I’ll certainly have a look. 

mpg should improve as the weather gets warmer. You also need to drive a certain way to get the best economy out of a hybrid.

It's worth having the energy view on the little display at the bottom of the speedo

1600678211_Screenshot2021-05-06at16_18_04.thumb.png.c603cd7c977fb167c40cdb8a9149a21b.png

you want to accelerate to your cruising speed, say 30 mpg, lift off the accelerator for a second and then gently press down again so you give just enough power to maintain the speed without accelerating - on the display you should then see energy coming just from the Battery and not the petrol engine.

When you brake you should do so gently, when possible, so the power meter doesn't go all the way to the bottom, try to keep it within the blue area - that way the energy is being recovered into the Battery. Once the meter goes to the bottom, maximum energy recovery is achieved and any further braking effort is done by the mechanical brakes where that energy goes to waste.

In this pic below the needle is right at the bottom of the negative power range.

592636688_Screenshot2021-05-06at16_18_13.thumb.png.411f41b9ccd0d3a838569a1ca694ad87.png

One thing to check is that your mechanical brakes aren't sticking, which is common with the RX400h. After a journey of at least a few miles, place your hand very close to the wheel/brakes to feel the heat coming off them (don't actually touch anything in case it is very hot). If one wheel is particularly hot that could indicate is isn't moving freely and will affect economy.

• Like 1

Thank you Colin, that’s really helpful, although I had (through accident rather than intention) discovered that about taking my foot off the accelerator.  We had the brakes completely overhauled when we got the car, as they had indeed been sticking!  I’m actually quite a gentle driver, but I will get the hybrid batteries checked as was recommended earlier. 

4 hours ago, Mary worker said:

I’m actually quite a gentle driver,

It's worth given the brakes a workout once a month in that case. The rears tend to stick due to lack of use, which is more of an issue with a hybrid as light braking is performed by the electric motors. 60 to 10 mph as hard as possible two or three of times in quick succession should do the trick (when safe to do so).

• Like 1