Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Lexus NX-300H requires new windscreen - click and collectors - beware!

Dear All

As avid readers of the Forum will be aware, last month I purchased a Lexus NX-300H Premium Sport from Lexus Cambridge. I used the click and collect facility to buy the car due to Covid restrictions, paid for the car in two days prior and then went down to Cambridge by train,collected the car and drove it back to Yorkshire.  Under Covid regulations there was no chance of testing driving before purchase unfortunately.

It's a brilliant car and I've now put around 700 miles on her over the space of a month, so mileage now approaching 7000 miles. On the day I collected the NX as I was driving out of Cambridge, I noticed there was some screen damage on the passenger side of the windscreen, right in the passengers eyeline. When I got home on closer inspection this was proved correct.  After speaking to the sales executive at Lexus it was clear they were not aware of the damage to thewindscreen but would be happy to make a contribution to its repair or replacement whichever was required. I was told that he car had been on a PCP scheme before I bought it for one year and the former keeper had exchanged it for another brand new NX of the same spec but in a different colour. 

I contacted my insurer who put me through to Autoglass, their recommended windscreen repairer and after describing the damage Autoglass felt the damage could be repaired.  The damage takes the form of a 1.5cm long internal crack with marks around it caused by the impact of whatever hit the windscreen. An appointment was made for the Autoglass technician to visit my home to repair the screen that week. I thought a repair was far better than replacement and this would cost just £20 excess. The cost of a replacement windscreen was £140 excess. When the technician arrived to inspect the damage he confirmed that a repair had already been effected (he could detect the resin around the damage with a small hand tool) and that another repair would not be possible. He could also see that the 1.5cm internal crack was stretching which was a sure sign he said that it would get worse. Therefore I will need a new windscreen and I asked that a Lexus original screen be fitted rather than an after market one.  

My insurer has agreed to the fitting of an original Lexus screen and I am now waiting for one that Autoglass have ordered. I've been waiting almost two weeks and will be chasing this up again on Tuesday with Autoglass to see if they are any nearing to getting one from Lexus. I am considering having an after market screen fitting if there is a protracted delay in obtaining a Lexus branded one as driving a car with a damaged windscreen which might open is worryingme somewhat, as I have a long drive down to Cardiff planned in the near future with the birth of our grandson there imminent. 

My question for anyone on the Forum who has had a new windscreen for their NX fitted, either Lexus branded or after market - would they like to recount their experiences. I know Autoglass, York will need to have my NX for a half day at least, for the camera and driving aids to be correctly set up and aligned to the manufacturers specification. 

Shame about this - as its taking the edge of the nicest car I've ever had, but it just shows that if you cannot test drive the car you buy you need to go over it with a fine tooth comb before you leave the dealership, so buyer beware!  I'm sure Lexus Cambridge will ensure that I am not out of pocket as they have kindly asked me to forward them the invoice for the job when the windscreen has been replaced. 

Best wishes 

Phil 

IMG_20210420_154627848 (1024x730).jpg

IMG_20210420_154854056 (757x1024).jpg

IMG_20210420_154920733 (1024x694).jpg

IMG_20210420_154939866 (1024x766).jpg

• Like 1

Hi Phil, I had my windscreen replaced by autoglass last year (not genuine Lexus) took the fitter about 1.5/2 hours. Looking at the job sheet they also replaced both side and the top mouldings with genuine Lexus parts. Very satisfied with care taken by fitter and replacement screen seems no different to the original..

• Like 1

Thanks for the information Noddy. If I can't get an assurance that a Lexus branded screen is available within a week on Wednesday I'm going to request they fit an after-market equivalent such as Pilkington or St Gobain manufacture. 

Goodnight

Phil 

The problem with Autoglass is that the quality of the job is very dependent upon the calibre of the fitter doing the work. Some horror stories out there. Plenty of cases of them re-using the old clips, breaking the old clips and gluing them back in. Re-using old mouldings and breaking old mouldings too. Last time I had a screen replaced I found out which company the dealership used and I paid to have a Lexus screen fitted. My insurer wouldn’t entertain a Lexus screen and insisted on Autoglass. I’m still recovering from a deer hit a few years back so decided not to claim and potentially have a crap job done as well as having to declare a claim when shopping around at renewal time.

Would you have the option to source the windscreen from Lexus and then get Autoglass to fit it?

Also, if Lexus have offered to foot the bill, do you need to go through your insurance?

10 hours ago, DanD said:

Would you have the option to source the windscreen from Lexus and then get Autoglass to fit it?

Also, if Lexus have offered to foot the bill, do you need to go through your insurance?

Lexus won't foot the bill, I have to go through my insurance. 

I don't see why you can having to go through your insurance. The Lexus dealer should be fully arranging and paying for the repair, otherwise threaten to reject the vehicle.

If they are asking you to go through your insurance then that isn't right - it is a pre-existing fault that your insurance should not be paying for, and is borderline fraud. You are also adding a claim to your record.

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, ColinBarber said:

I don't see why you can having to go through your insurance. The Lexus dealer should be fully arranging and paying for the repair, otherwise threaten to reject the vehicle.

If they are asking you to go through your insurance then that isn't right - it is a pre-existing fault that your insurance should not be paying for, and is borderline fraud. You are also adding a claim to your record.

That is excellent advice. The Dealer has a Statutory obligation to fulfill.